It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:49

New Topic Add Reply
API Fly Reel
Post 01 Nov 2020, 19:57 • #1 

I recently purchased this reel mostly because I wanted the rod it was on but am impressed by it and love its pedigree. Anyone have any knowledge regarding whether it can be switched to left hand retrieve? Thank you.

Re: API Fly Reel
Post 01 Nov 2020, 21:35 • #2 
Piscator
https://www.aos.cc/en/api-sea-run-anti- ... -hand.html
this listing says RHW only
Not the exact same reel - the one I linked is a planetary multiplier, but they appear to have the same drag and A/R set-up

Here's a conflicting listing that says your reel is reversible, but I also don't see how this reel is a multiplier...
https://www.vintageflytackle.com/produc ... fly-reel-1

this listing says the reel was designed by Oscar Kovalovsky - https://antiquefishingreels.com/fly-fis ... ducts-inc/

You may be able to get more information on Clark's board or ORCA, especially if you drop the Kovalovsky name.

Post 01 Nov 2020, 22:38 • #3 
Thank you for the information. I will try those other sites. I do not believe it is reversible but was unsure due to the site you linked that says it was. No matter really. It’s a cool little reel

Post 02 Nov 2020, 18:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That is a very nice score on a not common fly reel. I have been curious to handle one but never have seen one in person.

Post 02 Nov 2020, 19:27 • #5 
Thank you. I was not familiar with them as I was interested in the hexagraph rod it was on. I did some research before I bought it and was intrigued. It is well made with tight tolerances. I’ve only been chasing old reels for about six months but this is one I am glad I found.

Post 08 Nov 2020, 05:36 • #6 
As noted above by @bulldog1935, that was a design by Oscar Kovalovsky made by API for a while. He also designed large bullet proof conventional reels back in the day, though the cost was a bit prohibitive.
API also had the HMH tying vise and other items.
A few of these API reels were listed for auction in the High Rollers auctions back in the 80's and 90s. From what I understand Mr Kovalovsky was a fascinating individual. I'll have to take a dive in the wayback machine with Mr Peabody and see what the catalogues say.
Best,
JJ

Post 08 Nov 2020, 06:20 • #7 
Piscator
no offense, JJ, that was his father Arthur Kovalovsky who designed and bench-made fabled offshore conventional reels in large sizes (to 16/0)

Post 13 Nov 2020, 21:05 • #8 
Sport
Very cool reel, I have only seen one example up close. Such an interested check design. Thanks for sharing!

Post 15 Nov 2020, 15:19 • #9 
Thanks. I got an interesting article from John Bechtold that he wrote for reel talk magazine about the reel and its maker. I don’t know if he is a member here, but I will post his article if I get permission.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 03:52 • #10 
You are correct @bulldog1935, my mistake. I believe Arthur was planning to have conventional reels manufactured by API's parent company also. I seem to remember the aforementioned reel being listed for auction with two other larger models in one of the Oliver's High Rollers Auction in the late 80's. I have the catalogue somewhere within the walls and will try to assist with further information in the next few days.
Best,
JJ

Post 30 Nov 2020, 10:05 • #11 
Piscator
a local collecting friend was hired to dress the windows and walls when Bass Pro Shops arrived at La Cantera, and stayed there for awhile as their public relations director.
(she also did a later stint as ORCA president)
She scoured the countryside for outdoor sports photos with local family color, and found many antique tackle and firearms pieces for their window dressings (everything was documented museum-quality with detailed placards).

A hill country tourist town antique shop had all the typical Pflueger Supreme, et.al. lining their tackle display/sell shelves - basically everything the owner understood.
She asked to see the back, and he took her to the chicken coop.
She bought the chicken coup door stop for $55.
It turned out to be an uncatalogued Kovalovsky 13/0, and later sold in auction for $4000.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 30 Nov 2020, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Nov 2020, 11:07 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for showing. Can't help with any details, but just noticed: large arbor with small winding radius, right? A sharp feature that was just described in another thread recently. (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70617&p=385855&hilit=Hardy+perfect+arbor#p385855)

New Topic Add Reply