It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:27

New Topic Add Reply
Hot Sauce
Post 02 Oct 2020, 13:47 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I just purchased some Quantum Hot Sauce at Bass Pro.At first I thought they only had the grease until I noticed that the oil is also in a tube.Anyway,Im glad I was able to find it and have a new supply.This stuff in my opinion is the best lube available.

Re: Hot Sauce
Post 02 Oct 2020, 15:20 • #2 
Administrator
The Quantum Hot Sauces are really good lubricants in really bad containers. The old plastic bottle stinks - the oil creeps from the closed container. I store mine wrapped in a paper towel and sealed in a ziplock bag. I threw away the dispenser tip and installed a long pin - I use it like fly tying head cement (photo below). A little bit goes a long way.

The new plastic tube is a terrible idea. That tube is a huge, wasteful stain waiting to happen. Hot Sauce doesn't clean up well! Find a bottle that will contain the oil to dispense as needed. Make a plan for the spills.

Tom

Post 02 Oct 2020, 15:38 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Would a head cement bottle work? (plastic with metal tube and needle plug, I was thinking of)

Post 05 Oct 2020, 09:44 • #4 
Although they are great products, the coloring sucks. I use the grease carefully, but use Boeshield for oil.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 11:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Not recommending this particular brand and style, although it looks about right, but a precision oiler of this type might be good. Some lubrication products are packaged in less durable versions. I like the types for model railroading and similar hobbies, or mechanical watch repair, and use them on firearms and reels. https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/ ... 4eef014321 They are easy to misplace. I know I have one from model railroading since 1960 or so, but I haven't seen it, except in a photo, since 1972. When none are handy, a dipped needle, toothpick, or interdental brush stick will do, so you still don't have to rely on the container-top to dispense the lube.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 11:17 • #6 
Master Guide
I keep my Neats Foot oil -- used sparingly to keep cork drags from drying out -- in the small black containers that my Vereo diabetes testing strips come in. They snap tightly shut with a tight seal and do not leak. Also good for dry fly floatant -- you can attach a snap or loop to them with tape to hang on your vest.

Post 05 Oct 2020, 13:11 • #7 
Master Guide
The synthetic oils I use to keep tape decks running come in a little LDPE bottle with a needle tip. Before I found those, I used machine oil dripped off of the end of a pin.

Post 06 Oct 2020, 11:04 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I gave some thought to lubricants for reels and going all the way back to prehistoric times when I always carried around Garcia Reel Lube & Grease in my tackle box, just in case...

...I came to the realization I have never used lubricants away from home. Therefore I keep the Quantum Hot Sauce & Oil at home with other lubricants, upright and in a place where IF they leak it is of no consequence. I have a couple of bottles of Hardy Reel Lubricant gifted to me by Hardy reps for being so gullible so I now have one of those in my spare tackle bag, just in case...

Well, at least it isn't red... ;)

BTW - Whrlpool is correct about lubricants used in model railroading which is another of my hobbies. I have lubricants with extremely low viscosity and the bottles never leak.

Post 06 Oct 2020, 18:04 • #9 
Piscator
Boeshield is not oil, it's a cleaner and corrosion inhibitor wax.
Where you need oil, use oil.

Post 21 Jan 2021, 16:05 • #10 
Sport
+1 for LDPE bottles. The new hot sauce packaging is really bad, the standard dose from the tube is about 3-4 drops when I typically need 1/20th of that (or less). I picked up some cheap bottles with 20ga blunt needle tips the other day and this seems to be doing the trick. I am a believer in "less is more" most of the time with this stuff. Mostly I just don't like my reels looking like a murder scene.

Nate

Post 21 Jan 2021, 16:23 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Hair clipper oil is great for model trains,also use it on track as it must be anti corrosive or something .Very light oil.I love the hot sauce for grease tho for reels and trains.

Post 22 Jan 2021, 10:37 • #12 
Master Guide
I picked up a nice set of needle-tipped lubricant bottles and grease syringe from eBay or Amazon (can't remember which) that work very well. I have also purchased a couple of the pen-type precision oilers and one of the micro grease guns. The pen-type oilers travel OK but I'd still put them in a Zip-Loc.

Some of the OEM lubricant packaging is either leak-prone or inconvenient for application, or both.

(For fishing reel, gun, bicycle and knife use, my new favorite lubes are the ones that contain Teflon with the Boron Nitride additive (this combination is known as Cerflon). Slipperier than just Teflon and more durable as well. It's also affordable... some of the Liquid Wrench lubricants at the big box stores feature it, as well as some bicycle chain lube products, etc.

Post 22 Jan 2021, 23:30 • #13 
Piscator
IMO, this is the best kind

New Topic Add Reply