It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:16

New Topic Add Reply
Scott powr-ply fly reel
Post 16 Sep 2020, 05:22 • #1 
Guide
I have heard Harry Wilson was trying to develop fly reels before or immediately after founding Scott powr-ply.
One of the reels is introduced in a Japanese web site (jump URL shown below; originally written in Japanese).
The post does not include historical story on those reels unfortunately.
Anyone know about the topic?

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... Fp%3D28729

Post 16 Sep 2020, 06:15 • #2 
Piscator
takeru, no photos came through from the link.
I would rather see the photos without the text than vice-versa.
More information about the reel comes from the photos, more about dates and places from the text.

Most folks' chrome browswer will be set up to auto-translate
We do recognize hermit fly shop around here...

We were buying from Japan when the only way to do that was using a broker.
I recently used Masamichi at Noppin.com to broker some reel parts from Squid-Mania.

Maybe you can find some images of the Scott reel and post them for us using FFR photo hosting?

Post 16 Sep 2020, 06:37 • #3 
Guide

Thank you for pointing out the technical problem.

Post 16 Sep 2020, 06:44 • #4 
Piscator
perfect - thanks.
Definitely a bench-made reel, finished with type I anodizing.
Beneath the floating spindle is the clutch, on the face plate is adjustable friction brake.
I have never seen this reel before, but the mid-late-70s dates mentioned on the HMT blog fit perfectly.
So many good new reel designs were coming from benches then, as neat as is this reel, it would never compete with Lamson and Marryat.

Post 16 Sep 2020, 06:49 • #5 
Guide
Thanks.
I learned a lot through your advice and explanations about this reel.

Post 16 Sep 2020, 08:06 • #6 
Piscator
thank you - great topic

Simpler clutch designs that would win out include variations on the Medalist ratchet (Ross, Valentine);

Lamson used a reversible friction washer stack (also Martin)

Marryat made their own-design roller bearing, and subsequent reels used off-the-shelf one-way roller bearings

what looks like a ratchet on the Orvis/Reddington is just the clicker - it's also a floating spindle design, with the reversible clutch bearing in the spool - the drag stack friction pins the floating spindle

Noteworthy, I found one link on Clark's board, the Scott Powr-Ply fly reel must be Very rare.
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 72&t=22521
The referenced date is early '60s

this date makes more sense
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8834#p57371

It also appears two reels carrying this name never made it beyond prototype.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 20:02 • #7 
Master Guide
I saw one of those on ebay several years ago. I heard the same as you regarding Harry Wilson developing reels before rods. I think the reels were designed for saltwater. Also, I think the company was named Scott after Harry Wilson's son.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 20:39 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe just me, but the reel foot looks very much like JW Young.........

Post 17 Sep 2020, 20:50 • #9 
Piscator
To me, it looks like Martin on the face, and Rogue (PNW) on the backplate.
Of course both were pillar-cage reels.

Post 18 Sep 2020, 07:40 • #10 
Guide
Very interesting.
The reels mentioned on the HMT blog and in the two links introduced by bulldog have all disk drag system but these are different in drag system experimenting and appearance.
I feel Harry's enthusiasm for innovating this fishing at that time.

Post 18 Sep 2020, 09:35 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I remember a bit about early Scott in its time, refreshed with info on this site, but just fly rods, and certainly nothing of that reel. Very interesting. It makes me wonder what type of fishing he was interested in developing a reel for. Typically on the west coast at the time, I think that would be steelhead and emerging saltwater interests, but not really sure and wonder what the intent was. Looks like a heavy duty fly reel, and like Bulldog, I thought first of robust but much less complex products such as Pflueger 1498, Martin model 70 and then Valentine, not to mention various European salmon reels. Please, update if you learn more about the reel from the origin site, its intended fishing application in particular.

Post 18 Sep 2020, 12:19 • #12 
Guide
Harry liked fishing for big fish with a fly rod in the early 1970s: stripers, salmon, steelhead. His fly reel project started after losting a big salmon on the Eel River. A last minute lunge against a tight drag broke off the fish and banged up his knuckles. Thinking about how not to have that happen again, he designed and then built an anti reverse reel that let the user set a max drag with the usual knob but also allowed for backing off the drag by backing off the handle a quarter turn or so. A quarter turn back picked up the max drag again. He actually patented the design which he said "applied power through the drag) hence the name PowR-ply. Someone (Dr Todd Larsen?) wrote about it in a collector's magazine. Harry also made a handful of single action fly reels like the one pictured, built with the aid of a lathe in the back room of Bill Chapelle's T&S Tackle shop in San Francisco. Most - out of a total of maybe a dozen, max - were given to angling friends. Harry was also developing Scott's glass fly rods at that time, switching from Lamiglas to blanks on his own mandrels rolled by California Tackle Company. I joined him in 1974 and our idea when incorporating the Scott PowR-ply Company was to use the fly rods to finance reel production. But the market for big game fly reels was small, the cost to get started was high, and graphite as a rod material was just emerging. Seeing the possibility for long light line graphite rods, we focused on them and grew rapidly as a rod company. The reels never got past the late prototype stage.

Post 18 Sep 2020, 21:56 • #13 
Guide
L Kenney,

I came to know the historical background not only of the reel but also of SCOTT in detail.
Thank you very much.

Post 19 Sep 2020, 07:12 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I bought the one Jim Adams of Adams Angling Books had just to get the feel of it and see one up close. I can’t add much more than what has been said. It worked as described and was a heavy, beefy reel which is hard to envision without it being on a rod. I should have pics somewhere but its been a while. It certainly was fun to have such an interesting part of angling history in my hands. I always though it somewhat ironic that PowrPly originally referred to a fly reel and not Scott’s rods.

Post 23 Sep 2020, 13:02 • #15 
Sport
Excellent post takeru and responses from others. Boy, would I like to get my hands on one of these reels!

Post 24 Sep 2020, 01:10 • #16 
Guide
verhampshire,

Even if there is a chance to get one of them, the price tag is likely to be scary...!

Post 24 Sep 2020, 16:58 • #17 
Sport
That's ok. I seem to always be looking to reduce my total collection headcount, so if I gotta sell 3 to buy 1, that's ok with me!

New Topic Add Reply