It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Sep 2020, 11:01 • #1 
Guide
While researching what the Martin model number of a rebranded LL Bean Angler DS fly reel was I came to realized that a history of pre Zebco Mohawk made Martin Fly Reels has never been written or at least posted online. Such an endeavor could be the subject of a scholarly PhD dissertation and would be a tremendous contribution to fly fishing literature. In any case, how could I smooth the skirted margin of a fly reel spool bent and a little mangled By pliers?[

Post 10 Sep 2020, 11:34 • #2 
Piscator
The man with the most data points is middlemac, who occasionally visits here.
Martin autos go back to the 19th century, the first single-action reels they made were really cool tuna cans with dual handle knobs, looking a bit like prewar Shakespeare Burdick.
The first click-pawl they sold was made by Airex and was a sharp-looking grey/taupe Ablette.

Post 10 Sep 2020, 12:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Use the search function and you will find a fair amount on Martin reels pre Zebco right here on FFR, Middlemac's posts being good ones to check. I seem to recall a lot of history here and there in historical societies and college libraries--Mohawk NY and on to Utica. Some of it will be manufacturing, business & industry as opposed to fly-reel specific since Martin made other products, machine screws in particular as I recall.

The industrial history of the Mohawk River Valley is fascinating, that's for sure.

You can't believe everything you read in a doctoral dissertation anyhow since often the student spent too much time behind a desk and didn't get out enough:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63800&p=330622&hilit=Susquehanna+special#p330622

New Topic Add Reply