It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:22

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Aug 2020, 11:45 • #1 
Sport
Does anyone out there on the forum have any experience with and/or knowledge about this particular Martin? I recently purchased one on ebay to pair with a Garcia Conolon 5-star Model 2537-A for 8/9 weight line. The pairing turned out as expected as the reel (with line) balances perfectly with the rod. My intent is to use the outfit to throw a sinking line and bigger streamers.

The reel appears to be in great condition and will require only some minor cleaning. The adjustable drag works fine although I wouldn't call it the strongest drag I've ever used. There is negligible wobble but a bit (1/32"?) of end play.

The main question I have concerns the "clicker" which doesn't seem to work. It doesn't matter if the clicker is turned "on" or "off"; either way there is no "click" when I strip line off the reel and the spool essentially free-wheels when I crank the line in. (Looking through the reel papers, it seems that the clicker is only supposed to work when line is being stripped off the reel. I'm not certain if the spool should free-wheel so much on the retrieve as it's somewhat disconcerting.) With the spool off, I can see that the lever of the "on-off" click assembly doesn't engage the teeth of the gear; it seems to track either inside or outside of the gear. Does anyone (i.e. Bulldog?) have a fix for this?

My other question is can I use the vinegar-water/diluted soap/toothbrush/Q-tip cleaning method on this reel? I don't want to risk stripping any of the finish off and there's only a little grease build-up on this reel. There is some corrosion on the aluminum rim of the spool. Is there a way to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Post 29 Aug 2020, 12:05 • #2 
Master Guide
I have that model with both black and sexy silver-accented spools. The clicker, which sounds its not-so-subtle alarm on the outpay only, is something I turn off anyway. The tiny coil spring doesn't provide drag for the heavy spool by itself and the pawl tends to jump into Off position and stay there if there is stiff grease. A cleaning (I melt old grease away with a blast of WD-40) and stretch of the spring should keep it clicking if that's what you want.

Last edited by Shrimpman on 29 Aug 2020, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Aug 2020, 12:54 • #3 
Piscator
looks like the spring is shot.
Most people don't use these anyway - they chatter teeth.

Post 30 Aug 2020, 06:55 • #4 
Sport
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just clean it up a bit and try stretching the wimpy little spring. If that doesn't work, then I'll go sans clicker. I'm not too sure that I will like the reel with it's free-wheeling line take-up but I guess we'll see...

Is the clicker on this reel really that loud?

Post 30 Aug 2020, 07:09 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
No reel better exemplifies the term "line-out alarm" for click than Martins of that type. The drag should have a much higher range than you describe. From that and the wimpy click, I'm guessing a careful disassembly, cleaning and reassembly will help dramatically. "A little grease" is more than enough to prevent crisp motion and sound of the parts, including the compression drag and the one-way clutch. Martin--wisely, I guess,--greased the dickens out of the factory reels, probably assuming they would never be lubricated again. Judging by the fact that it is common to see them with remnant stiff factory grease, they were probably right.

Clean and get ALL of that off of there, including the drag-pack and clutch, and the on-off rotatry knob. Everything should and will work crisply with no lubricant whatsoever. Confirm that it does. Now use light machine oil only. Run the reel a bit to distribute it evenly. Now wipe off as much as you can.
Run the reel again. Rub off any more. The needed lubrication--for protection from wear more than smooth function--will be where it needs to be and not where it doesn't.

Get ready for your teeth to chatter.

Oh, I see you posted as I was finishing this. Small coil springs--I doubt another will be needed--are easy to come by from sources such as a ballpoint pen. Or a large firearms supplier like Midway or Brownells will have firing pin springs that will substitute nicely, cut to length.

Post 30 Aug 2020, 07:54 • #6 
Sport
Thanks whirlpool; I'll follow your suggestions. I've stated it before, but I'll say it again...this forum is great!

Post 30 Aug 2020, 14:23 • #7 
Piscator
They made a Martin 64 that has a friction center-washer brake ala O/C, plus the teeth chatterer.
The idea was a silent drag with the teeth chatterer in reserve.
it's a really neat collectible, and if you like taking O/C fishing, might like this, too.
Image Image

For my money you have a choice drag Martin there, and I don't think you'll ever miss the chatterer.

Post 11 Sep 2020, 19:55 • #8 
Guide
I have a 71SS which Is similar to your MG 8SS and found, after years of use in salt water, that the teeth chattering clicker loosened up and wouldn’t contact the gear teeth. The clicker is held in place by a rivet which can loosen over time and completely corrode away So I replaced the rivet with a tiny bolt and eventually found a small nylon lock nut for it. Before the rivet corroded away I solved the loose clicker problem by putting a large o ring around the margin of the clutch plate which essentially increased the diameter of the clutch plate and kept the clicker from riding off track. See this post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66956&hilit=Martin+71SS#p356419.
In one photo you can see the bolt with nut and lock washer replacing the lost clicker rivet. It worked but loosened periodically so I got a nylon lock nut from the Bolt Doctor And cut down the bolt with a cutting wheel on a Dremel clone tool.

New Topic Add Reply