It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:43

New Topic Add Reply
Medalist 1494½ rubbing
Post 23 Jul 2020, 10:12 • #1 
Guide
I just converted a Medalist 1494½ to LHR. Everything back together and no problem. Then I replaced the line guard because one side was missing. Now, when I turn the reel, there is, what feels like something rubbing; always in the same place. I have taken it apart and put it back together several times. Neither the frame nor the spool appear to be bent. I was able to lesson the rub somewhat with more lubrication on the drag sprocket, but can't get rid of it, completely. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
steve

Post 23 Jul 2020, 10:18 • #2 
Piscator
did you try taking out the line guard side that was previously missing?

Post 23 Jul 2020, 13:47 • #3 
Guide
Yes. Rub is there with either one side or the other left on. Removing both guards eliminates the rub, or makes it so slight, that it's hard to feel. I thought about running it without the guards, but it felt like treating the effect rather than the cause. I'm kind of goofy that way. Also curious why I didn't notice it when set for RHR.

Thanks,
steve

Post 23 Jul 2020, 14:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Interchange or reverse the line guards? I've had some that fit better one way.

Post 23 Jul 2020, 15:05 • #5 
Guide
Yup, tried that, too.

Thanks,
steve

Post 23 Jul 2020, 17:46 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Spool almost has to be eccentric if it only rubs an one spot, or the inside rim of the spool is bent slightly and rubs as it passes over the brake, but a rub on the brake shouldn't change with addition or removal of the guards, as a test lightly coat the down side of the spool evenly with grease and see where it rubs off?

Post 24 Jul 2020, 06:52 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yup, you have to isolate/identify the spot that rubs. It sounds like you have already carefully checked the frame/pillar/line guard assembly. Any one of the pillars in the wrong spot or not seated can skew the frame. Assemble with even force--no more than a good fitting screwdriver can apply comfortably snug--in a crisscross pattern. Eventually--once certain the assembly is true--you will want to reinstall the screws one at a time with a dab of mild formula threadlock, nail polish, or poor man's nylock--a shred of plastic wrap or 6x tippet.

Other than that, a lot of guessing. A warped spool face can be observed and straightened with judicious thumb pressure or tapping.

Little changes in the conversion might contribute. The bevel of the backplate-mounted pawl under the drag plate needs to be reversed by rotating it 180 degrees. The plate should be clean and fit freely but flush under the spindle mounted bearing. A sloppy fit there--sludge or grit in the way--might cause a scuff.

Most common in Pluegers--and inconsequential--is the Pflueger scuff on the spool plate side facing the backplate. Just the slightest inward pressure, natural when winding the reel, can cause its surface to rub on the brake shoe. If the the latch, its grove, or the frame bearing are slightly dirty or worn, slight side to side play can increase the scuffing. Cleaning and light lubrication with fine machine oil usually takes care of that, maybe a check that the plunger latch is straight.

Most likely--and simplest--the brake shoe is slightly askew. Sometimes its spring is fit crookedy, angling the shoe away from the frame. Sometimes debris or sludge under the shoe is holding it high. It should move freely when the spring is lifted. Also, changing winding direction will sometimes put the shoe working against an old wear pattern for a while so the shoe is forced up against the spool. It's mounting pivot favors RHW so it can take some wearing in to LHW.

Great reel. Worth tinkering. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9843&p=62689&hilit=Pflueger+scuff#p62689

Post 24 Jul 2020, 09:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I once bought a Medalist that the last guy had greased and grease was lifting the brake enough to drag'
imo, those reels need no grease and very little lube at all the spool really only contacts at the spindle, the small spool pawl being the drag contact.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 11:58 • #9 
Guide
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their responses.

I have a new observation. When I crank the reel, I can see the gap between the spool and the frame close slightly at one place, which would certainly create the rub, when the guard is installed. Now, I'm thinking the spindle is bent or crooked. I can't see that to be the case. However, the little latch pin at the top may be slightly canted. I don't know how this could happen. Can the spindle or latch pin be replaced?

And yes, it is kind of a fun reel to tinker with.

Thanks,
steve

Post 24 Jul 2020, 13:05 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
You could fiddle with the latch--and make sure its receiving groove is clear--by bending it . As for the spindle, pretty sure those were only available as a factory assembly with the backplate, so I don't think there is a home-tools route to straightening it. Probably the slightest tapping or gradual pressure would move it to its original position as the pressed components find their original shape. But I would be very gentle about it; in fact I wouldn't even tell you to try it until all else fails--and that includes trying a different spool--and all assuming the reel is thoroughly cleaned, assembled snug with no misfit or distorted parts, and lubricated with light machine oil.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 13:31 • #11 
Guide
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, too. I don't have a second spool to try. I don't know what else to do. I'm beginning to think this reel is just fine, the way it is. Is there any reason it shouldn't be fished without the line guard?

Thanks, again for all the help.
steve

Post 22 Aug 2020, 18:14 • #12 
Guide
As Paul Harvey would say; "Page 2".

I found another 1494½ on ebay with a broken foot that I was able to get for not a lot of money. I swapped the reel foot from the first reel to this one and now I have a Pflueger Medalist 1494½ with an extra spool. I also have some extra parts from the original reel.

Thanks again for all the responses and suggestions.
steve

p.s. Yeah. I'm sure there are probably members right now scratching their heads, saying "Who's Paul Harvey?".

Post 22 Aug 2020, 18:35 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
"And that's the rest of the story. Good day!"

Post 22 Aug 2020, 20:48 • #14 
Guide
Good one, whrlpool. That would have been better than "Page 2". I had forgotten about "The rest of the story", and I actually enjoyed them more.

Thanks,
steve

[ Please review the posting guide about NOT fully quoting the preceding post. This is completely unnecessary and makes the topic more difficult for others to follow. ]

Post 22 Aug 2020, 23:41 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Funny thing, Harvey was his middle name, but it is the surname of some folks around the area. Him being from just a couple hours away I used to think he was related to these locals.

So does the spool with the wobble in it wobble on the "new" reel? because I thought it was likely a spool fault. It rubbed then cleared as though the spool is eccentric, if the spindle was off, the spool would rub constantly I think. I was guessing latch cam either either bent or badly worn.

Post 23 Aug 2020, 09:54 • #16 
Guide
I didn't know that about Paul Harvey.

No, the new reel is slicker than snot. Nothing rubs, so it had to be in the frame or the spindle. Regardless, I now have a reel that I need to find an appropriate rod for. It's a hard-knock life, isn't it?

Thanks,
steve

New Topic Add Reply