It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:30

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Wobbly scraping reel
Post 23 Jul 2020, 09:13 • #1 
Inactive
I have an old Orvis Wye and it rasps as it rotates. Only on one side. Do I simply bend it in or is there more to it. Its a nice little reel and I’d like to use it more but it is slow to wind as every rotation has a slight rub.

Re: Wobly scraping reel
Post 23 Jul 2020, 10:19 • #2 
Piscator
I use a spanish cedar block and jeweler's hammer to make raps on the spindle to adjust spindle alignment

Post 23 Jul 2020, 21:09 • #3 
Inactive
I have a bucket of steam and a Pennsylvania Dutch Boughorer :o . Its likely not the spindle but rather spool is bent. Perhaps I should use the Cedar and tap hammer to bend the spool sides back to where they don't rub?

Post 23 Jul 2020, 21:21 • #4 
Administrator
Baron wrote:
I have a bucket of steam and a Pennsylvania Dutch Boughorer :o . Its likely not the spindle but rather spool is bent. Perhaps I should use the Cedar and tap hammer to bend the spool sides back to where they don't rub?

Could you post some photos?

Tom

Post 23 Jul 2020, 21:41 • #5 
Inactive
Tomorrow.

Post 23 Jul 2020, 21:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
"Tomorrow."
excellent!
I've never seen a Pennsylvania Dutch Boughorer.

Re: Wobbly scraping reel
Post 24 Jul 2020, 08:41 • #7 
Inactive
Trev,
Oh! the PDB! Thats one, the Avatar in the picture and here I thought you wanted a picture of a bucket of steam.

I see you're in the Joplin area. Got a friend there. Sawmill owner and dulcimer hobbiest. What do you fish for there.

So if the reel only scrapes at one point, once per revolution, wouldn't that be an out of square spool side rather than the spindle?

I can understand if this reel can't be saved but it seems worth a try. Not a terribly rare or expensive reel but was liked by many back in its time. I have $40 in it.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 09:01 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Oh, I have one of those. "Steam" is a great word for it as a fish boils downriver, but it is really more sparks and smoke.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 09:46 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I know about buckets of steam and pieces of water line, was a swab in my long gone youth, it is possible that a picture of the reel could help. In posting pictures of reels it's useful to see the guts and the down side of the spool after evisceration.
That is a rimmed spool? I would think that the rim could be dinged or slightly out of round, one reason I don't like them other than added weight. But any thing that changes the alignment between the plate/frame and spool can cause rubbing, a cocked spindle is one of those things. If you don't have Spanish cedar, bass wood should work, it will keep the hammer tracks to a minimum.

oh, fish, I chase sm bass and stocked trout as a rule, but we have most fresh water fish available, and some unusual stuff like spoonbill. Lakes have stripers and hybrid bass too. I keep thinking I'll hone in on cat fish on fly or redhorse, but bass and trout are easy pickings and I'm a lazy.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 10:53 • #10 
Inactive
Look closely now, what do you see...........

This should get the Idea across. It was good to learn how to post photos.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 11:30 • #11 
Piscator
I would loosen the screw on the backplate, use the block and jeweler's hammer until it didn't rub, and re-tighten the screw.
I've done this before

Post 24 Jul 2020, 11:43 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Is that pawl spring damaged?

Bulldog1935, I've not seen one of these, so are you hitting the screw to drive the spindle up or exactly what/where are you hitting?

Post 24 Jul 2020, 11:49 • #13 
Piscator
I would say the spindle is basically tilted and possibly not centered - the block goes through the frame against the spindle - I would start driving it away straight in from where the spool is touching the backplate.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 12:31 • #14 
Inactive
Would you do this while holding the reel in the other hand so that it doesn't bend elsewhere?

I don't know about how the spring should look. should there be a spring on both sides?

Should there be a shim washer on the shoulder of the spindle?

Post 24 Jul 2020, 12:52 • #15 
Piscator
Yes, this is a tap-tap-tap thing using a jeweler's hammer

Post 24 Jul 2020, 12:59 • #16 
Inactive
I got it. It will have to be a tack hammer however. What I'm reading into this discussion is to use a series of small careful input with a wooden dow and mini-whacker kind of like setting a Lyman sight in a dovetail on a favorite rifle......... which I have done. I'll let you know the results.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 13:24 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog's suggestion sounds ideal. Stamped components will often return to their ideal shape with a little judicious pressure--one reason paintless dent removal is a great little business serving the auto trade. Looking at a very similar BFR-made reel, I have to ask Bulldog if a shim would be the lazy man's remedy. It sounds like the spindle is completely removable by means of the screw, so possibly a shim could be placed between the frame and the spindle end to, in effect, raise the spindle. Shimming the spool bearing looks easy enough as well--a 10-cent mylar shim or one made from thin plastic or brass sheet. Looking at mine, though, I can see that one or two taps would be pretty easy.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 21:29 • #18 
Inactive
Hey, Did you ever do something and make great big statements only to find later your perceptions were all wet? Uh huh, I have.
So the spindle screw turned out to be very loose. That was one of the reason it was wobbly and raspy. There isn't any bearing on this. The die cast spool just spins on the steel pin. It should have been greased instead of oiled. Lastly the spool rim and they reel rim are both ever so slightly dinked suggesting it was dropped and a point load was applied ti this area. It rasps only twhen this two Items pass each other once per revolution. I bent it out a bit, it is slightly less annoying and I will live with it from here on out. For the most part I'm back on track. I do wish it had a bearing and a micro thin collar shim on the shoulder of the spindle where the spool bottoms out.

Post 24 Jul 2020, 22:07 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Good to see it fixed. I'd keep an eye on those screws in future, if they got loose/backed out once they may again

Post 24 Jul 2020, 22:08 • #20 
Inactive
Will do, thanks for all the help everyone.

Post 25 Jul 2020, 06:05 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Nice follow-up report and outcome. The upside of screw-fastened assemblies is easy parts repair and replacement. The downside is gradual loosening of parts, especially where lubricant can penetrate. Vibration alone loosens stuff; it helps lubes creep where they shouldn't be as well. Machined forms don't loosen up, but they don't take a bump well, either, and usually must be replaced as a whole. So I think you did well with a good utility reel. Two more tips, with apologies if you already implemented them along with cleaning and light lubrication: a well stocked hardware store will have Servi-star or similar brand mylar shims in multiple sizes; one or another will likely fit, or just looking at them will give you a good idea how to fabricate one. Mild formula thread lock will take care of the spindle screw, or the slacker's nylock: plastic wrap around the screw threads, or a few scraps of tippet material or shaved plastic in the screw hole. A coin in the reel bag is a good reminder to check-snug the screw now and then, but some form of threadlock will greatly reduce the need.

Post 25 Jul 2020, 09:34 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
whrlpool wrote:
A coin in the reel bag is a good reminder to check-snug the screw now and then, but some form of threadlock will greatly reduce the need.

Absolutely, but not hardware store red or blue. I can't recommend Loctite 222MS or "purple Loctite" highly enough. It is specifically designed for small screws and does the job. But being lower strength, it allows removal with way less torque than red or blue which means you won't bugger up the screw head if you need to remove it later on. I use it all machine screws under 1/4" in diameter. It is a good thing to have around, but you won't find it in a hardware store.

Another great product is Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate. You can apply it to the screw, let it dry and it still does its job. It is pricey and hard to find, but is another excellent choice for small crews.

If all else fails, nail polish or head cement, but we all know that. ;)

Post 25 Jul 2020, 13:02 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Baron wrote:
It should have been greased instead of oiled.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I have a few reels where grease would probably do better on the reel.

Post 25 Jul 2020, 14:02 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Baron wrote:
I got it. It will have to be a tack hammer however.
Baron:

If you ever get a hankerin' for a real jewelers hammer or other nice tools, take a run over to Lost River Cavers in Hellertown.

The store there has a fantastic variety of jewelers tools and if you need to cool off, the cavern temp is about 55 degrees. ;)

Post 25 Jul 2020, 14:12 • #25 
Inactive
Yep my son lives in Hellertown. Maybe it's time to take the Grandchildren. Gosh Bam, Now ya got me doing my nails as well!

Whirlpool, I'll be looking soon for those washers and thanks for mentioning it.

Carlz. What type of grease? will any non-lithium do?

Whirlpool, The coin you suggested.........I assume that's to call my wife to come get me when I loose the phone and car keys?

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply