It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:26

New Topic Add Reply
Cleanup of System 4 reel
Post 10 Jul 2020, 08:09 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Stopped in at an antique store for giggles and found this reel on an unknown spinning rod (see "another spin on glass").

The reel looks unused, except that the previous owner put the line sticker on the face of the reel. I scrubbed with warm soapy water but still have residue. If I use something like goo gone, will that effect the finish on the reel face? Any suggestions?

Also the top of the reel foot is oxidized or something - it is smooth not etched, but it won't scrub off. Any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Anyway, it is a sweet reel (and spinning rod) and I think worth the $20 for both.

Thanks for the help!

Post 10 Jul 2020, 10:15 • #2 
Piscator
it's the long-term effect of lacquer on bare aluminum - it's actually filiform corrosion, but so shallow it won't hurt the part integrity.
(I worked on the issue on the American Orient Express train coaches where the problem was structural)
You could polish it off with a light abraisive, but I'm happy to just keep them cleaned and waxed with Boeshield.

Nice reel, looks like it has the Marquis yoke-cam
(Marquis 7)

Post 10 Jul 2020, 10:29 • #3 
Sport
Great reel. Great price. Congrats. About the sticker glue residue. Don’t know about Goo Gone, but I have removed such goo using warm running tap water And a soft toothbrush with toothpaste. Might take 2 or 3 light brushings. I have had success removing sticker goo this way several times with no ill effects.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 10:31 • #4 
Piscator
goo gone is mineral spirits and will work
Denatured alcohol may work faster and flashes away Much quicker

Post 10 Jul 2020, 11:15 • #5 
Guide
Try tiki torch fuel. It is great For removing duct tape adhesive.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 11:21 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the tips guys! Yep, Bulldog that is what the guts of mine looks like.

Post 10 Jul 2020, 14:27 • #7 
Guide
WD-40 works great for removing stickers and adhesive.

tt

Post 10 Jul 2020, 14:59 • #8 
Piscator
actually, the oil doesn't help, but the mineral spirits carrier

Post 10 Jul 2020, 18:41 • #9 
Administrator
Mineral spirits is an essential liquid for reel/rod maintenance. It will not harm cured paint or varnish (if mineral spirits lifts the finish - the finish was already ruined). Odorless spirits are good. VM&P Naptha will do the same things, but it will evaporate more quickly.

Mineral spirits will clean goo off rods and reels, remove grease/oil, remove old wax, thin varnish, clean brushes, clean nickel silver ferrules, and dissolve paraffin wax for a DIY fly floatant.

Tom

Post 10 Jul 2020, 18:54 • #10 
Piscator
Tom, when you have varnish from old varnished line inside your spools, denatured alcohol will wipe it straight away.

Post 11 Jul 2020, 01:26 • #11 
Administrator
I agree. To me, denatured alcohol is another work bench 'essential' liquid. Denatured alcohol shouldn't damage good condition varnish or paint finishes. Mineral spirits are too weak to take the old varnish goo off spools without way too much work. Denatured alcohol is a 'stronger' solvent. By starting with water and a good detergent, like Dawn dish soap, then mineral spirits, and finally denatured alcohol, you can clean almost anything.

For what it is worth, I've had very good luck removing old labels and tape residue with mineral spirits.

For System reels I've had success cleaning the working parts with Ron's vinegar treatment. The reel on the right hand side of the photo looks beat up (it is). I thought it was only a parts reel, but I put it through the full Bulldog™ Procedure anyway. I wanted clean parts after all. The reel came all the way back. With the crud gone it is as comfortably smooth as an old pair of blue jeans.

Tom

Post 11 Jul 2020, 07:49 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
So for the original question. Mineral spirits for the sticker (I didn't realize goo-gone was mineral spirits), then Get a can of Boeshield for preserving the reel and preventing any future deterioration of the foot.

Bulldog, what is the difference between goo-gone, Boeshield and WD40 for the purpose of sticker removal (other than the expense of Boshield). The main ingredient in all of them is mineral sprits (isn't it)?

Post 11 Jul 2020, 09:31 • #13 
Piscator
none, except WD40 is oil and Boeshield is corrosion-inhibitor wax - both are carried in mineral spirits, which slowly evaporate.
I still say DA to remove sticker residue - never failed me in a hurry.

Post 11 Jul 2020, 10:35 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Great stuff! Thanks guys!

New Topic Add Reply