It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jul 2020, 11:14 • #1 
Sport
Hey all,

I've been fishing my 3 -weight Paddock brown with a Tiemco baby trout reel for a while now. I am thinking about switching fly reels because I can't get the balance right, and the click sound is loud to me. I can keep fishing it no problem, but I'd like to look for something a little more classic, maybe a little larger, with a bit of patina. The Hardy Featherweight seems to be the standard here, but I was wondering if there were any other under the radar suggestions.

Thank you.

-Jason

Post 02 Jul 2020, 12:15 • #2 
Sport
Jason

As you know I fished that rod with an early Featherweight, BUT I always thought it looked great and had a good balance with a Sage 504L.........

Post 02 Jul 2020, 12:48 • #3 
Sport
melodious_thunk wrote:
Jason

As you know I fished that rod with an early Featherweight, BUT I always thought it looked great and had a good balance with a Sage 504L.........

I forgot about the Sage? BTW, how are you holding up?

Post 02 Jul 2020, 14:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have the same rod, and use a Hardy Golden Featherweight - the brass component(s) give it a little extra weight vs the standard Featherweight, and the colors blend beautifully.

Post 02 Jul 2020, 15:57 • #5 
Sport
I forgot about the Sage? BTW, how are you holding up?[/quote]

I'm doing well actually thanks for asking ! How have you been ? Hopefully enjoying the Paddock as much as I've been enjoying the Mcfarland ! Just curious but what to you feels unbalanced with the Tiemco ? Feel a little tip heavy ? And been fishing it mainly with a 3 or 4 line ?

And I didn't think about it because unfortunately I don't own any golden series Hardy reels, but I bet that rod would look amazing as John suggested above with a golden Featherweight attached !

Post 02 Jul 2020, 16:17 • #6 
Sport
Good. A little tired of this quarantine. I've been doing zoom meetings for four months now:) Yeah, it's a bit tip heavy, plus there is something about the look of it I don't like. It's a good reel though. I had some 4 wt WF line on it for a bit, ordered some 3 wt DT line to play around with it. Not much on eBay for either reel at the moment. But I am in no rush. How's the hospital?

melodious_thunk wrote:
I forgot about the Sage? BTW, how are you holding up?

I'm doing well actually thanks for asking ! How have you been ? Hopefully enjoying the Paddock as much as I've been enjoying the Mcfarland ! Just curious but what to you feels unbalanced with the Tiemco ? Feel a little tip heavy ? And been fishing it mainly with a 3 or 4 line ?

And I didn't think about it because unfortunately I don't own any golden series Hardy reels, but I bet that rod would look amazing as John suggested above with a golden Featherweight attached ![/quote]

Post 02 Jul 2020, 17:06 • #7 
Piscator
JLH Ultralite 234 is my favorite Hardy, here on a Pickard Driggs River.
I also use it on 6'8" St. Croix Featherweight and 6'6" Royal Wand

Post 02 Jul 2020, 17:19 • #8 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:
JLH Ultralite 234 is my favorite Hardy, here on a Pickard Driggs River.
I also use it on 6'8" St. Croix Featherweight and 6'6" Royal Wand

Really nice reel! I'll keep my eye out for them.

Post 02 Jul 2020, 17:21 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Not a photo "in the wild" but - balances 1" in back of the winding check. I like my rod best with a Rio Gold WF4F since most of my trout fishing is in The Driftless. Small waters and shorter casts.

Post 02 Jul 2020, 19:46 • #10 
Sport
jhuskey wrote:
Not a photo "in the wild" but - balances 1" in back of the winding check. I like my rod best with a Rio Gold WF4F since most of my trout fishing is in The Driftless. Small waters and shorter casts.

Thanks. I didn't like my 4 wt SA Mastery amplitude line on it too much. It felt too heavy. I'm going to try some Hook and Hackle DT at 3 wt first.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 10:35 • #11 
Sport
Lawn cast the 3wt DT line. The balance point is about an inch past the grip onto the rod blank. Not ideal, but it'll fish until something a little heavier becomes available. Thanks.

caddis75 wrote:
jhuskey wrote:

Thanks. I didn't like my 4 wt SA Mastery amplitude line on it too much. It felt too heavy. I'm going to try some Hook and Hackle DT at 3 wt first.

Post 04 Jul 2020, 11:55 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
You might consider a Heddon 310 or 320 or one of the other Hardy clones.

New Topic Add Reply