It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jul 2020, 09:07 • #1 
Inactive
At my age and with almost no budget I can like what I like without shame. In the next year I hope to somehow acquire a Battenkill III to use for medium size fish in streams and clear water lakes. I first met these reels at Orvis in 1977 while on Our honeymoon. They hadn't been around for too long back then and they were still the talk of the town. So for perch, large bluegill, average pickerel and up to 4lb bass, typical of my fishing haunts, what would be your classic go-to production rod and in what size? I was thinking a 7wt 8' but now I'm thinking it will be better to shorten up and go with 7'+/- 5wt. prefer cigar handles but half-Wells is okay, sort of.
This will also be my spring stock trout rig.
I held one of these reels at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and was surprised how small and light they are compared to the more modern drag reels in the kiosk.

Post 02 Jul 2020, 19:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Orvis has used the Battenkill name on many different reels over the years. The Battenkill III sold today is certainly not the same model you saw in 1977. That being said, it’s still a very nice reel. I have a Battenkill II myself.

Post 02 Jul 2020, 19:54 • #3 
Inactive
gaddis wrote:
Orvis has used the Battenkill name on many different reels over the years. The Battenkill III sold today is certainly not the same model you saw in 1977. That being said, it’s still a very nice reel. I have a Battenkill II myself.

Thanks Gaddis. I hope it works well for you. What I had in my hand yesterday almost made my cry as it was so pretty. Probably made in the orient somewhere.

New Topic Add Reply