It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:33

New Topic Add Reply
Martin MG-3
Post 27 Jun 2020, 16:29 • #1 
Sport
Can one of the MG-3 owners tell me if the + / - knob is supposed to turn freely, or is it a set and forget deal?

Thanks.

Re: Martin MG-3
Post 27 Jun 2020, 16:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
if you mean the drag knob, it should turn to predetermined stops to adjust drag tension.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 17:54 • #3 
Piscator
the drag knob turns cam steps that increase the tension (actually compression) on the helical spring.
Note there's a bump-stop at minimum, and if you turn past max, it will drop back on the max cam step.

if that's not enough, you can stretch the spring
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5550&start=50#p290559
note Shoebox
and a little bit goes a long way

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 28 Jun 2020, 07:40, edited 2 times in total.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 17:57 • #4 
Sport
Thanks for the reply. I could not get it to budge with out going inside the reel and turning it. I've cleaned and lubed every thing on four different reels today, but this one is stiff still. I completely disassembled, cleaned up and reassembled my Martin MC78 with an actual drag knob that turns easily.

As far as the MG-3 knob being a drag, well, it's not something I recognize as being able to slow anything down. Understand I'm coming from salt water conventional reels with multiple discs for drags.

I guess I'll do some searching for a schematic. My eyes are not revealing how it comes apart.

EDIT: I put a drop of lube inside and another inside. Then used a wrench inside to exercise it back and forth until I could at least turn the outside knob to the third flat cam surface. I believe that would reduce any drag at that position so I turned it back to the stop.

I appreciate the help. I am trying my best to not ask a dozen stupid questions. I'm reading like a librarian trying to get up to at least operating speed. Old dog and new tricks to learn.

Last edited by Guitarfish on 27 Jun 2020, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 18:08 • #5 
Piscator
I had some stainless helical spring stock the same diameter, slightly thicker wire, and made a spring for an M-77W that was enough for salmon.

A click pawl check is intended to be an overspeed check to prevent spool backlash. You're going to have to use your skill to thumb brake on the face plate or inside the spool against the line.
I always show this (as one of Many) example(s) of putting the rod across your chest, which places the reel in the correct position for thumb brakes.

big fish on click pawl is its own reward (1930 Medalist)

Post 27 Jun 2020, 18:24 • #6 
Sport
Perfect, now I understand. I guess I'll have to pick up some cigars, too. Thank you sir.

Post 28 Jun 2020, 07:47 • #7 
Piscator
you're welcome

Catching San Juan bruisers one afternoon, I lit a fresh cigar when the fish began its first run (as I recall, 23") - my buddy watching this freaked.

New Topic Add Reply