It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 May 2020, 17:05 • #1 
Sport

Post 24 May 2020, 17:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Fishermans Paradise south of Bellefonte has an excellent sulphur hatch.At least it did 25 years ago. :)

Post 24 May 2020, 19:04 • #3 
Master Guide
Cool post. What is the fly pattern to the left on your reel called?

Post 24 May 2020, 19:56 • #4 
Sport
My version of Tups Indispensible. Spring creek still has good sulphurs though I was not there. Fished Penns creek yesterday but it was a bust for me. Though the euronymph guys did well. Water was high but clear. Today I fished the home stream in the valley to the SE of Penns. Fish were all small today.

Post 25 May 2020, 08:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice photos! I've been on the lookout for the sulphurs out here the last couple of afternoon/evenings, but too early yet. Luckily the caddis, BWOs, and midges had the fish looking up.

Post 25 May 2020, 17:25 • #6 
Inactive
Love it.
Those flies look like super deadly swingers.

Post 26 May 2020, 11:05 • #7 
Sport

I actually caught my best sulphur- taken brown this year on a size 14 with a body of Danville’s 6/0 waxed cotton and two turns of a pale blue hen hackle. Around here sulphurs hatch when Dames Rocket is in bloom.

Post 28 May 2020, 04:58 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I've been fishing them about every night for the last few weeks as it has been a rare occurrence the last couple of years when my local streams aren't high & off during the peak of the hatch.

Things are slowing down on my favorite haunts, last night it was shutting down by about 8:00, the week before I was fishing until 9:00 and would have tripped over a fawn if I didn't see it's eyes with my headlamp walking out.

Coincidentally, the reel I was using last night was a Marquis...

Post 29 May 2020, 10:10 • #9 
Sport
Bam: IIRC, you are fishing in the Cumberland Valley of PA. If so, I spend my weekends about 100 miles north of you in Mifflin County. Spring 2018 and 2019 was plagued by high water all over PA, but that's better than drought. The last two weekends the sulphur duns and spinners on Honey Creek have been fantastic. Heading back tonight, hoping they are still on, or the smaller sulphur cousin. If not, the spotted caddis should start emerging soon. The streams in Mifflin support massive hatches of these things, which I believe are Hydropsychids, and they last a long time. They have a dull olive body and a brown and tan mottled wing, about a size 14. I tie a fly body of Pearsall primrose silk and a hackle of hen pheasant covert or breast feather. Very effective. One hundred years ago, Skues advised young fly-tyers that they would use a lot of yellow and primrose silks. He was right.

Post 29 May 2020, 12:12 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I spent 20+ years fishing them on the Letort every Memorial Day weekend but home was the Poconos and now is the Lehigh Valley so that is where I am most often during Sulphurs.

The Lehigh Valley streams all have them BUT on most, they won't start in earnest until the 2nd week of May. If you go the first week, NOTHING and they are done abruptly by the end of the month with surface feeding activity ending sooner and sooner in the evening as the hatch progresses. Interestingly enough, in the old days when I would drive to the Letort in late June or July, I could still catch fish on Sulphurs late in the evening where if I was back home, I am off the water well before dark by that time of year.

Like most places, the fish are a push over the first few nights but they get fussier and fussier as the hatch progresses. I caught some absolute bruisers the first night I was out this year but the next few outings it was a few nice fish and the usual dinks.

The problem for the last umpteen years has been that it always seems to rain like crazy in the week(s) leading up to the 2nd week of May and our Limestoners don't recede very quickly. While that doesn’t always preclude fishing, my notes from many years of fishing when the water was high & off tell me it isn’t always worth the effort. In addition, for me living in an area where we have 3 “major” hatches, (Olives, Sulphurs & Tricos) it is one of the few opportunities I get to do the “match the hatch” thing so I want to fish on top.

I will fish an emerger or nymph pattern in the late afternoon until I see the telltale signs of fish taking duns. I’ve used soft hackles too but to be honest, it’s hard for me to swing when there are ten fish rising in front of me. Once I am fishing on top it is either a thorax pattern or a parachute in size 16 or 18 or some other dry fly variants like Comparaduns or Iwamasa duns for the fussy fish. I usually encounter bugs with creamy yellow bodies/light dun wings or slightly olive/yellow bodies so that’s the colors I tie, but I do an all-white version of both to use when it is really dark so I can see it. I have spinners too, but never really do well with them.

It’s funny, as much as I love the Sulphur hatch and hatches in general, I’ve spent SO many years fishing in places that don’t have a lot of hatches that I actually prefer fishing when there isn’t a hatch. I'd almost rather stalk sporadic risers with a beetle or some other terrestrials than anything.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your preference, that time for me is about here until the Tricos start.

BTW - I'm sure you know this already but here in my neck of the woods and in Southcentral, DON'T be without a size 16 or 18 all black EWC. The "Little Black Caddis" are fluttering an inch above all of the streams in both areas and if you don't look hard and see what is happening, you will waste a lot of time fishing a Sulphur. ;)

Have fun!

Post 30 May 2020, 10:02 • #11 
Sport

Little black caddies. Caught this one on Penns last week. I use a 14 black wet fly for those and the little black stone flies. 30 or more years ago I lived in Philadelphia and often traveled north to fish little Lehigh and Monacacy. Good times. I often fished a black beetle up there. Good luck with the tricos.

Post 30 May 2020, 11:14 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I used to use a black beetle too for the Little Black Caddis on the Letort in the days before I started tying a specific pattern for them.

Tricos are fun and my favorite!! Every single morning for MONTHS and then great terrestrial fishing for the rest of the day.

BTW - I have been fishing Octorora Reservoir in a rental boat since I was kid. In the last few years, it is followed up with dinner afterwards at the Sawmill. ;)

Post 29 Jun 2020, 05:49 • #13 
Sport

Needs a pic. The tail end of the sulphurs occurred Fathers Day weekend in central Pennsylvania. Mountain Laurel was in full bloom.

Post 29 Jun 2020, 11:30 • #14 
Sport
The more I looked at that pic, the more awesome it became.

Post 29 Jun 2020, 12:03 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
That's what you call a good imitation.

Post 29 Jun 2020, 20:59 • #16 
Sport
Thank you. Schwiebert called it matching the hatch, but It’s more like the happy intersection of an idea with reality. The trout liked that pattern, but they were just as happy with a red bodied soft hackle. I suppose that’s because there were so many blue winged olives around too. Never can tell what they’ll take.

Post 10 Feb 2021, 01:11 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I remember seeing them fishing up in Perry County when visiting my sister. I'm currently reading Vincent Marinaro's "a Modern Dry-Fly Code" which discusses that fly thoroughly.

New Topic Add Reply