It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:38

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Feb 2012, 17:58 • #26 
Piscator
BHSpey wrote:
Bulldog, maybe I'm just dense but I am really having a hard time visualizing how eaxactly you are using this 1/2 milk carton diffuser - would you have a photo of of how you are using it?

even if you use just a pocket camera with a built in macro mode and flash, the solution to good photography can be as simple as using a tripod, the built in timer and a milk jug cut in half (the long way) to hold over the flash for a diffuser.

literally, just hold it out in front of the flash - as close as you can get without knocking the camera and don't cover the lens. You just need one corner of the milk jug over the flash and the whole milk jug becomes your light source.
You can also "shape" the light by which way you lean the milk jug.
What you're essentially doing is turning your flash from thumbnail-sized bright spot with all the shadow that produces into a light source the size of a milk jug - i.e. bigger than the lens sight cone so there are no shadows.

cheap pocket camera (this long working distance doesn't need macro mode), tripod (don't need one this good), half a milk jug (need one this good), subject on gray card, messy garage
result
If y'all had seen me lashing the second camera strap to the rudder halyard on a kayak to set up the first shot you would have been impressed :hat

play around with the angle to solve reflection problems - electrons are cheap

Post 06 May 2012, 13:05 • #27 
Guide
I have a light tent, but am too lazy to set it up most of the time. A diffuser works well, or a white umbrella for outside photos. Getting some shadows is important for depth in a relatively flat object. The light placement is important.

Post 27 Jul 2012, 19:56 • #28 
Very nice photography! I am new to the forum and would like some advice on how to upload photos of an old reel. Thanks

Post 12 May 2013, 20:59 • #29 
Sport
Great post with very helpfull ideas.

Thanks to all that contributed.

Regards,
FK

Post 19 Nov 2013, 10:18 • #30 
A well done post.

Post 25 Dec 2013, 05:17 • #31 
Master Guide
I'll second Sakana on that. I like the jug idea for maximizing the flash cone. And the 18% gray card, well ... you can't go wrong with that.
Sweet and simple. Bulldog, you are a true minimalist.

Brilliance in elegance.

Post 02 Aug 2014, 16:10 • #32 
Sport
turtledoc wrote:

Also, the reason I use a "V" shape set is so there is no seam line that shows as may be the case if the boards were at a 90 degree angle ... the "cave" softens the background.

You could also make an 'L' shape with the backdrop - and a shallow depth of field - to make it seamless. Or a 'C' if you want to cover the reel more fully to get a cleaner reflection. Either way, like a fashion shoot, you'd need a horizontal bar to support the backdrop.

Post 24 Jul 2016, 10:43 • #33 
Sport
My super-duper-high-tech photo studio ...

I have a light tent ...but am too lazy to use it.

Dean.

Post 24 Jul 2016, 12:56 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Gotta give that a try Dean - my homemade tent does no where near a good as your photo.
John

Post 10 Feb 2017, 13:52 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I have many reels and rods to sell in the near future so I am going to begin playing with my camera and the lighting. Should be a lot of fun experimenting. Have to say, this forum is amazing.

Post 07 Feb 2019, 23:30 • #36 
I like seeing these photo setup ideas. So far I've just been shooting with my long 400mm on a tripod using ambient light from an outside window and a dark room as background...

Post 08 Feb 2019, 09:35 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome photo para_adams! Beautiful old Perfect also!

Post 02 Oct 2021, 08:46 • #38 
Sport
YES..., more of this. Eye candy for old men (or not so old).

Keep posting those photos...

Post 20 Dec 2021, 10:13 • #39 
Piscator
Adding an important point about reel photography that's most often overlooked.

Plan perspective doesn't work for showing the overall reel. We all know they're round.
Oblique views are better for showing the substance of a reel, and let us see all 3 dimensions in relative perspective.
Image Image
Image Image

Plan perspective is best for macro details.
Image Image

Post 25 Feb 2022, 09:01 • #40 
Master Guide
Another DIY tip for macro on the cheap...

I made a no-cost "ring light" out of an empty, white whipped topping ("Cool Whip") tub. I cut a hole in the bottom just large enough for my lens to poke through so the front of the lens is even with top of the tub. (Think of the vet's "cone of shame" for your dog). Then I use an off-camera flash cord from my camera's hot shoe to a hand-held flash unit with the head held against the outside of the tub at 90˚.

The flash gets diffused and distributed around the periphery of the lens a good bit. The white balance can get wonky depending on the plastic, but that's easy to fix.

Also, when building a light box, use black foam core for low-key shots and white foam core (or scrap styrofoam sheets) for high-key.

I have to say I don't set up properly to take reel, etc. photos. I got into macro photography in the film days when setting up was complicated and somewhat tedious. I tend to just grab a quick snapshot these days. I enjoy the beautiful photos posted here by the guys who take the time to do it right.

Here's a shot of a film camera set-up I used years ago, with a reversed lens, focusing bellows, multiple off-camera flash, etc...

Post 24 Jan 2023, 20:28 • #41 
I know I'm a little late on getting on this thread. But I want to thank everyone for sharing their photography tips and light box setups. My images are not of this quality. Beautiful reels to drool over. My best to everyone. Jim

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply