It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:12

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jun 2020, 06:54 • #26 
Piscator
Holdover wrote:
Great info above. I'm in the camp of balance making a difference. Your physicality, fishing style, and just plain preference should determine what you choose..

I REALLY like my Young made Sage 106M for 8'6" 5/6wt rods.

that's a great photo to add to this thread, and a great reel (a great reel series) with a smooth fine-toothed drag gear, and a great wide-ranging pawl spring design.

Post 01 Jun 2020, 12:20 • #27 
Master Guide
whrlpool wrote:
It reminds me of another thing, the low profile reel foot such that, although it is a large diameter reel, it sits low to the rod, thus close to its axis, reducing rotational force on the wrist. Although "big" and relatively heavy, it feels more compact to me for that reason.

Absolutely agree. It just looks and feels right...I wish more reels were made like this.

Post 01 Jun 2020, 13:09 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
hard to find palming reels with some heft to them, most palmers are modern and lightweight.
I love the JW Young 15-series as already mentioned in the thread..
Pflueger RC are perfectly good reels but not quite classics, fully functional though.

In non-palming, depending on what you fish for, an automatic reel will be nice and heavy.. I find they work great for most warmwater except big carp, and smaller trout. This is a Shakespeare, also have a Perrine free-stripping auto in the pile, need to clean it up and try it out..

Also partial to the Farlows Python, Cobra and Serpent click-pawls.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14356
and
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62897

'The Gordon' reel by Sharpes is another classic-looking click-pawl with some heft to it in the wide-frame version, and these are fairly easily found.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5795#p36984

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply