It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Mar 2020, 12:19 • #1 
Master Guide
The things we do in the throes of cabin fever...

Anyway, I was sorting our some scattered rods and reels and found a loose, unmarked, System two spare spool. As I tried to mate it to its proper reel, I came to realize that my penchant for these reels had not only gotten a bit out of hand but that I had made some basic bad judgments in snapping up some cheap ones.

Sorting out my reels and spools I found I had 7 SA System 2 reels in three models -- with significant internal variances -- and 10 spare spools. The models I have are the 8/9M, 7/8M and 8/9.

There are two versions of the 8/9 -- one has a solid spool, and was made in England with all steel internal parts and the other was not made in England and has a perforated spool and some plastic internal parts -- a difference between 'hell for strong' and not very reliable in a street fight. Also one of my 8/9M reels was allegedly made in Jolly Old England but also has plastic internal parts. The key thing about the reels with internal plastic parts is that I'll not trust them in use against larger, hot, fish. Those reel frames will get aside for light -- if any -- duty. And I'll look before leaping in future. The good news is that, within models, the spare spools are interchangeable and should work the same even though some have plastic hub caps,

As I sorted out this tangle I also measured each model's diameter and spool gap and found some whimsical labeling by SA. For example, the 8/9 M model is smaller in diameter by 1/4" than the 7/8 M model reel!

Next, I guess, I'll straighten out my fly tying desk -- or fix the damn toilet.

Heddonist

Post 22 Mar 2020, 16:59 • #2 
Sport
FWIW I have the SA System 2 8/9. England but with the perforated spool and frame w some plastic drag parts. I’ve used it several times in Alaska for bigger Chum and Silver Salmon with great luck. It’s also my carp reel and up to the task.
Also own an SA Sustem 2 6/7 and all its parts are metal. Bought it new in 1984 or so. This has been a great reel and my go to until I started using Youngs, Hardys and a couple of Galvans,
Had the 6/7 gone over by Bill Archueleta and it’s like new. I think most if not all of the System twos were made by BFR of Redditch. In closing, these are great workhorse reels. And very inexpensive.

Post 30 Mar 2020, 17:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
yes, a wide range of different reels, all with the same name..

I have the original 8/9 made in England, solid steel and weighs what you'd expect. It's a great reel but not for salt. That solid spool traps moisture, so you have to strip off line to dry in the evenings, as if you were fishing silk.. Haven't fished it in a while as there's nothing much in fresh water needs that kind of strength.
Caught a big steelhead on it once, fell badly while chasing after it and broke the reel foot off. That was nearly thirty years ago. Rebuilt the threads using epoxy which has held up for all those years..

Also have a later 6/7 BFR version, which is the smallest diameter reel I own.. usually fish it with a 4wt in fact, using string underneath 50 yards of Dacron backing.

I'm thinking of installing the Toto Washlet, a sort of bidet that fits onto the existing toilet.. won't need TP any more ;-)

New Topic Add Reply