It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Feb 2020, 15:46 • #1 
Guide
Howdy ,
last summer I purchased a Bronson Royalist model 370 fly reel together with a Garcia Conolon 7'3 6 weight rod for the princely sum of $24 . The GC casts great with a DT 5 and I caught a few Cutts with it in YNC . The Bronson reel has the appearance of being gently used , however, the little dial that sets the drag spins into infinitywithout increasing or decreasing the tension . Wondering if anyone knows of a remedy ?
Thanks,
Hal

Post 14 Feb 2020, 19:32 • #2 
Piscator
we need photos of the internals to begin, and I'm not sure I have any Bronson photos to recover in my archive

Post 15 Feb 2020, 01:12 • #3 
Guide
Here's an inside shot of my 370. My reel has a relatively light drag. It is sufficient to prevent overrun, but certainly not much more than that. The drag knob will rotate 360 degrees. Frankly, I don't notice a whole lot of change on mine when I adjust the drag.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 04:53 • #4 
Master Guide
Assuming that you reel LHW, the springs are in the correct positions. All of my 370s had a significant increase in drag when the cam is turned 180°; some more than others. The arrow points to the front at minimum; back at maximum, again assuming left hand reeling.
I know that my present one has the light incoming tension spring resting on the cam and the drag spring on top of that. I seem to recall the drag spring being shorter and slipping off the cam, but that recollection could be faulty. The springs are copper or an alloy thereof and easily bent to change the drag tension.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 09:51 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice buy on what will be neat utility tackle at the very least. An eccentric cam bears on that spring but isn't visible under the large central washer. Not sure how many positions it has. Look underneath as you turn the adjuster. Possibly the cam is loose on the adjuster shaft. Or it may only have a high and low position with very little difference between them. At the least, you should see the spring bow inward slightly as the knob is rotated. Otherwise, something is loose, or possibly the spring broken somewhere in the section concealed by the washer.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 20:51 • #6 
Administrator
No matter how you set it, the Bronson 370 is not a hog-stopper. The drag is there to make a pleasant purr while you strip line. If you hook something large you will need to add drag with your fingers.

In the photo below, the drag is set up for winding with your left hand. The thicker spring is on the right hand side of the photo. I have seen used Bronsons offered where the pawl point was nearly worn off.

As noted earlier, the drag adjustment does not have a stop. Sorry, my photo doesn't show this either. You should be able to see the springs flex a little while you turn the knob. In theory this should make a difference...

Tom

Post 13 Oct 2020, 16:05 • #7 
Thanks a ton- Just converted my 370 and it worked like a champ. Have a 360 coming and assume the "guts" are the same . Soft Mends from this new member

Post 13 Oct 2020, 17:31 • #8 
Administrator
Robalaska, Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry, the Bronson 360 is a simple, non-adjustable clicker design. That means fewer things to go wrong!

Tom

Post 26 Feb 2021, 21:00 • #9 
I have a super clean royalist and it has nearly no drag adjustment either. Looks nearly unused.

Post 27 Feb 2021, 15:17 • #10 
Guide
Glad you got it the way you like it! The advice you received was, of course, spot-on re your Royalist.
These reels are among my favorites to hang on vintage glass.

New Topic Add Reply