It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jan 2020, 02:34 • #1 
Guide
Bulldog
Can you detail lubrication of the Marryat roller bearing with heavy oil? A couple photos perhaps?

Post 14 Jan 2020, 07:17 • #2 
Piscator
No offense, but no, I'm not pulling my reel apart.
CarlZ has already done that:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1562&start=25#p347022

Do not lube them with light oil - repeating myself on this new thread, light oil will lock up the roller bearing as sure as sand -
- use SAE 30 or Phil Tenacious.
To just lube, you can let the oil wick in from from outside the cap, but should try to keep it off the drum brake shoe race.

To remove the drum clutch from the spindle, you remove the the circlip - and first remove the brake yoke, which also frees the nylon pads.
To get into the clutch roller bearings, use a small flat driver to pry the pressed outer cap from the drum.
You'll find 3 cylindrical aluminum roller elements and retaining springs - you can see all this in Carl's photos.
Since you've gone to this much trouble, not a bad idea to remove and clean everything with denatured alcohol.
Important not to introduce any debris into this mechanism.

As I also mentioned on the other thread, you can't get the parts should you need new rollers or should one of those tiny springs disappear during your service, but the late sapient Bill Archuleta, and now his grandson Bill Archuleta have supported these reels since they were introduced.

Post 14 Jan 2020, 08:49 • #3 
Guide
No worries, the link you gave to CarlZ’s post brings it all back and answers my questions I thought you might have to breakdown a Marryat clutch to illustrate what I asked and having done that myself it’s not easy. You have to have watchmaker technical training, patience and a magnifying work lens in order to tackle the small parts and mechanism. I don’t remember what I used as a lubricant so I guess that could be another winter project. Hot sauce oil or grease is not good?

Post 14 Jan 2020, 09:02 • #4 
Piscator
Hot sauce is right out for everything but grease for the spindle/spool latch.
If you remember my Billy Trimble story, it was lubing with light oil that locked his Marryat on a San Juan bruiser.
You don't even want to lube the spindle with light oil, because it may run down into the roller clutch.

New Topic Add Reply