It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Sep 2019, 13:16 • #1 
Sport
I want to change a recently acquired SA System 1, 456 to a left hand retrieve. I am sure this question has been discussed on here before but I cant find it when I search. Can anyone help? Thank you

Post 25 Sep 2019, 13:44 • #2 
Master Guide
to change to left hand reel, reduce tension on the drag by turning the click lever in a clockwise directoin toward the minus (-) sign.

There are two triangular pawls, The one on your left facing the reel has an open side pointed to your right. Rotate that until the open side is facing up. The second pawl on your right facing the reel has the open space facing up. Rotate that one down so that the open space is facing left. Unscrew the line guard and turn it in the opposite direction. Respool any line.

Bang presto! She'e a done.

Heddonist

Post 25 Sep 2019, 16:50 • #3 
Guide
Heddonist nailed it, but here's the info and picture from the owner's manual.

Post 26 Sep 2019, 10:08 • #4 
Sport
Thank you both! I especially like the diagram, you must have discerned how inept I am with anything mechanical.

Post 26 Sep 2019, 12:47 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Glad someone posted a fresh image.

You'll notice I added wording to your subject line and pinned, temporarily at least, to see if it is viewed and helpful often, this thread to the top of the page.

Converting RHW-LHW is a common query that the search function will turn up, and is covered in various posts in the "reel papers" thread. However, maintaining all the illustrations isn't easy as the photo-hosting evolves, so this fresh post on the topic might be useful there.

That design is common to many reels and the conversion is, essentially, identical in all of them, so the instructions help on many brands. With an illustration, you don't have to understand the mechanical principles--although you could read about those here as well.

One point that is easy to overlook is the orientation of the notch on the pawl that enables it to be slid on and off of the pawl post. Used reels are often received with the pawl installed incorrectly. On most reels of this type the, pawl itself has a sharp/stiff side of its tip and a gentle side. Keeping the notch oriented correctly ensures that the tip is meeting the gear correctly when the pawl is engaged. When disengaged, the open end of the notch faces away from the spring post. This ensures that when rotated to the engaged position, the tip will be oriented correctly. Easy to see in the diagram, another reason I pinned it.

Post 26 Sep 2019, 14:15 • #6 
Sport
I just changed pawls around, works perfectly. Thanks again

Post 18 Dec 2021, 23:19 • #7 
Guide
Thanks for posting this! I just bought a Daiwa 706 and need to swap it to a left hand retrieve.

Post 24 May 2022, 15:09 • #8 
Master Guide
I was just converting some of my reels and had a System1 678 on my bed and serendipitously ran across this post while in a work meeting - did it in 30 seconds with the help of the diagram. Thank you!

New Topic Add Reply