It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Feb 2019, 12:41 • #1 
Sport
I bought a Cortland FR-2000 8' for 6/7 wt. line sometime around the mid-70's. At the time I also bought a Shakespeare Sigma Autofly reel because that's what I used the only time that I had ever fly fished and I thought that was all there was...Well I fished it a few times and then life got in the way and I never fly fished again until about 20 years ago. During those last 20 years I totally went with all the latest gear; the fastest rods and reels with disc drags, etc. I became a real gear hound. So recently I've started to thin out my collection, selling off rods, reels and lines that I just didn't use regularly or at all.

A few weeks ago I took the FR-2000 out of the tube and low and behold it's a pretty nice rod. Rather than selling it, I thought that I just might start using it for smallies on our local lakes and rivers but I do NOT want to use that automatic reel. Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive reels (no more than say $40) that will hold a 7 wt. line and some backing? I would prefer to get something that was made no later than the mid-70's. I've been doing some research and I kind of like the Pflueger Medalists and the Martin reels but info on line capacity for the various models is somewhat confusing. I also need to have a reel that is either LHW or at least convertible to LHW. I would take a look at other suggestions for reels as well.

Can ya help a brother out? Thanks in advance for any recommendations, advice, photos, etc.

Post 10 Feb 2019, 12:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You have a lot of options. A 1495 Medalist is always a good choice. Any of the Martin-made 67 variants, or the later Martin Classic 7/8 would work well. Look for a Cortland Crown or Rimfly -- a spring and pawl clicker. The later models had an adjustable drag.

Post 10 Feb 2019, 14:27 • #3 
Guide
You can never go wrong with a Medalist. A 1495DA is US made and easily convertible to LHW. You should be able to find a nice, clean one within your price limit. I recently picked one up for $25 shipped. I have a Martin MG-7, and it's a very smooth click pawl reel. It has more than enough capacity for a 7wt line with ample backing. It may be a little light for that rod, but you could always add weight with a base wrap of lead core line. Mine has some paint loss and needed a good cleaning and re-lube when I got it, but functions perfectly. I paid less than $25 for it. It has the same check as the Martin 67, but in my opinion it's a better looking reel with it's machined foot and ported back plate. The Cortland Mosquito is more recent vintage, but it's a good, basic, US made dual click pawl reel. The large version would have more than enough capacity for a DT7 and ample backing, and have the weight to balance a fiberglass rod.

Post 10 Feb 2019, 14:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic

This reel is a bit out of your budget, (an Orvis Presentation ~ $100), but it works well with the old Cortland fiberglass rods.

I would browse the "classic reels" section and just read some of the posts. The pinned "Click-Pawl reels" post is a great place to start. I agree that a Medalist would do great, but I think they are on the heavy side for an 8' FR-2000.

Last edited by carlz on 10 Feb 2019, 17:39, edited 2 times in total.

Post 10 Feb 2019, 15:12 • #5 
Sport
Thanks everyone. I just joined this forum and it looks like it is gonna be helpful AND fun...

Post 10 Feb 2019, 16:23 • #6 
Master Guide
My vote would be for the Martin 67, I use the 67N on my 8' FR 2000. I'm really a Martin guy though. And a FR 2000 guy too. Love my Cortland rods.

Post 10 Feb 2019, 16:59 • #7 
Master Guide
You've got yourself a great rod! And the suggestions that have been made are all good ones. Personally, I usually opt for the Cortland reels for my FR-2000 rods. Reels such as the caliper click Pro-Crest reels, the click and pawl Crown and Rimfly reels, as well as the more recent adjustable drag Crown reels. Another reel that is intriguing to use, is the Cortland 444 that utilizes a ratchet disc and drag drum assembly to create an adjustable drag. Whatever reel I use, I feel the 444 Classic peach line brings out the best in the FR-2000 rods.

Post 10 Feb 2019, 20:17 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I just today bought a Martin 67ss-a for 12.00 at a fishing show.I am going to use it for a 7wt.Really a great reel, American made,when? i am not sure.Seems a lot more solid than the other Martins i have.A tad heavier and a nice purr to the adjustable drag.And an exposed spool rim if needed.They seem to sell from 15 to 40 on the auction site.I have several medalists but do not like the way they sound with the plate flipped and not gonna spend the money for the "good" drag plate.They are a great design and built like tanks but not my thing.There are a ton of cortland reels on the auction site in your price range .My wife was very happy i only came home with 1 reel and no flyrods.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 10:52 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Cortland sourced some reels manufactured and badged for them from Martin. Any of the 67 sized reels will be ideal. If an adjustable click isn't important, the 66 is the same size.

Great rod to rediscover.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 12:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The Cortland Intrepid, Crown, and Rimfly reels, -- and for that matter, the old Orvis Madison reels too -- were rebadged made in England BFR reels. At one point Orvis Madisons were rebadged Martins. And for a while LL Bean sold rebadged Martins as their Angler II reels. Happy hunting!

Post 11 Feb 2019, 14:10 • #11 
Guide
I hate to ask something everyone buy me knows the answer to, but here goes anyway: are all of the old Martins and LLB Anglers click and pawl reels? They have some aesthetic appeal to me, but i have never grown fond of clickers. I bought a pretty nice Ross Colorado about 15 years ago, and i bet i have not used it 5 times -- just once very few years to remind myself why i dont use it.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 17:42 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Yes -- the Martins/Bean Angler reels are clickers. I like the Ross Colorado Reels. Which one do you have? Let me know if you want to sell.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 18:06 • #13 
Master Guide
Wthorpe,
Martin did make a couple of disc drag reels, the model 70 is the one sized for trout rods. I have a WF 6 on the one I have. It's heavy so needs a long glass rod to balance.

Post 11 Feb 2019, 18:47 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
arknymph wrote:
Wthorpe,
Martin did make a couple of disc drag reels, the model 70 is the one sized for trout rods. I have a WF 6 on the one I have. It's heavy so needs a long glass rod to balance.

I have a Martin 70. I use it in the salt with an 8wt. A brute of a reel!

Post 13 Feb 2019, 08:34 • #15 
Sport
Great input from you all. I've been burning the midnight oil searching the net for the perfect match for my FR-2000. There are MANY Pflueger Medalist 1495's out there; everything from still in boxes/wrapped in plastic to for-parts-only. Of course the really good ones have lots of "watchers" and my luck on ebay hasn't been good (I've never won an auction online). I'm too new to this forum to post in the classifieds but I've advertised on the Washington Fly Fishing forum "WTB Vintage Martin, Pflueger, Cortland Reel" and have had several offers but nothing quite what I'm looking for...yet.

I've seen discussions on past forum postings that the Orvis Madison is actually a slightly dressed-up Medalist and I'm assuming that the Madison 6/7 is equivalent to the 1495. It's stamped Made in U.S.A. so I'm also assuming that it was made in Arkansas vs. Akron and it would be mid-70's. Older forum postings have indicated that they were selling for $42 or so in 2010-12 so they get more dough on acounta they say "Orvis" on them but they sure are pretty.

I wonder if anyone knows anything about an Eagle Claw Wright & McGill Signature Model 3VG. Any opinions on quality, line capacity, weight, etc.

Thanks everybody!

Post 13 Feb 2019, 09:45 • #16 
Piscator
I just LHW converted a 3-1/2" narrow Beaudex for a board member who's going to use it on an MF80. I use one on my E80 as well - pretty perfect balance.

Post 13 Feb 2019, 11:21 • #17 
Sport
That Beaudex looks very nice...of course it helps that it's mounted on that Phillipson. BTW in my post above re the Eagle Claw, I checked again and it's an "Autograph" not "Signature" model...

Post 13 Feb 2019, 22:57 • #18 
Guide
I have an Autograph reel if you want to try one out cheap, know nothing about it, came with a bunch of other reels I had to buy to get the one I really wanted. Decent shape, doesn't look like it actually ever had line on it, but it did roll around in a tackle box or something as it does have some wear on the edges. If interested PM me.

Post 15 Feb 2019, 21:17 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
OhioFlyGuy wrote:
... I'm too new to this forum to post in the classifieds but I've advertised on the Washington Fly Fishing forum "WTB Vintage Martin, Pflueger, Cortland Reel" and have had several offers but nothing quite what I'm looking for...yet.
Thanks everybody!

Actually, I think you can post in the separate WTB forum without any minimum post requirement. Not the same as the “for sale” forum.

Post 16 Feb 2019, 11:01 • #20 
Sport
Thanks to everyone for their input/advice. I actually ended up buying two reels...A very nice Sage 106M and a Medalist. I love this forum. I will continue to visit, count on it for good info and hopefully I'll be able to contribute in the future.

Post 16 Feb 2019, 22:08 • #21 
Master Guide
OFG - You got yourself two nice reels that will serve you well. Welcome to the forum.

Post 27 May 2019, 07:11 • #22 
Sport
Well, after one cancelled trip to the South Holston because of really high water and one not-so-good trip to the Little J with too high (but safe enough to wade in) water, Tiptop and I finally had a pretty nice week on Pine Creek in PA. I took my Cortland FR-2000 8' 6/7 wt and Medalist 1494-1/2 with a 406 DT6F line along and the rod got bent under the weight of a fish (18" brownie) for the first time in like 40 years. It was SO fun. I also took my 8' 5 wt Butterstick and Hardy LRH with a Barrio Mallard DT5F line along and caught a couple of fish on it also, though nothing near 18". I'll tell you I really liked that Barrio Mallard line; it's so supple and cast beautifully. I am definitely going to be using my glass rods more often and I'll see how the BM line holds up.

Post 27 May 2019, 07:19 • #23 
Piscator
wish you had photos - I haven't been to Pine Creek since 2002...

Post 03 Apr 2020, 13:16 • #24 
Sport
Mr. Bulldog. If you do ever get back to central PA look me up and I will do my best to get you into some fine brownie fishing. It’s not Pine creek but it’s good fishing. I will try to post a few iPhone pics if I can figure out how to do it. I learned an awful lot reading your posts. Tups.

New Topic Add Reply