It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:11

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Oct 2019, 07:24 • #26 
Sport
I just bought a tiny Penn Battle spinning reel,and a Abu-Garcia 5000-c bait caster made in Sweden.Both filthy, inside and out. Goodwill stores are my friend...$3.00 apiece. cracked them open to clean and the old grease had solidified. Grabbed a tube of reel butter that I haven''t opened in about a year,and the first half inch to come out of the tube wasn't any better.Hard,waxy and very dark in color. It was ok after that,but got me thinking...So I checked a few fly reels that were lubed with Hot Sauce,and the grease was pristine... a couple of years after application,so I'm sold on it. I still used the reel butter and a light machine oil on the used reels so I could use them yesterday,as I'm out of the good stuff.
Tally for the kayak trip yesterday: Penn Battle-0 specs
Abu-Garcia- 0 L.M.bass
L.L.Bean Angler 2 Cortland prf 2000 pack rod 6 wt.-3 channel cats! 2 @ 26",1@29" Thanks Carl-love that rod!
Maybe I'll donate the 2 reels to Goodwill...obviously defective! Have a great day-I'm off to the bargain cave...Tonyg

Post 31 Oct 2019, 08:06 • #27 
Master Guide
I just saw this post as I was waking up and having my morning coffee. My current tube of the Hot Sauce grease is almost empty and I've been rationing it so I was very happy to see this and just ordered some from Cabela's. The stuff is worth every penny! Thanks for the heads up!

David

Post 01 Nov 2019, 14:00 • #28 
Guide
FEDEX delivered my order yesterday afternoon. Quantum has changed the packaging. The Hot Sauce oil now comes in a plastic tube vs the bottle with metal applicator they used to use. The bottle leaks if it isn't stored perfectly upright, but the applicator does make it easy to put a drop of oil where I want it.

Post 01 Nov 2019, 14:24 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
That's a good change. My bottle lost 1/3 of its oil from leakage.

Post 02 Nov 2019, 05:45 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome news - stocked up myself! I was getting super low!

Post 02 Nov 2019, 13:25 • #31 
Guide
Thanks as well Mikel

Post 02 Nov 2019, 21:33 • #32 
Guide
Mikel - Another thank you! Best, Bob

Post 03 Nov 2019, 09:23 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
I found it at my local tackle shop.It is nothing but synthetic grease and oil.The grease is an outstanding product ,the oil is similar to light synthetic oil and like many fishing products is pretty expensive for what it is.I am sure the grease is the same.The synthetics don't break down over time and really cling to surfaces .I have cleaned a 100 year old model train motor that the original grease had turned to wax and varnish.A little hot sauce and it ran like new.I will never need enough of this stuff to source it in bulk but I am sure you could.

Post 03 Nov 2019, 10:33 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Tony, I'm glad you like that rod. And it's great to see it got some fish and held up to some big Cats.

Is that LL Bean Angler 2 a Martin reel?

Post 04 Nov 2019, 19:49 • #35 
Sport
Carl, Yes sir it is...Nice little reel. The rod bent all the way to the reel with those catfish...lotsa fun, and kept the skunk off my kayak...The one problem with the rod was that I cast most of the rod into the lake TWICE. In other words, I was left holding the butt end with reel,but the rest of the rod was in the lake. lol... I'm thinking denatured alcohol to clean both male and female ferrules,and a touch of gulf wax...what do you think (question mark). (inop key). Any how,yeah, its a rebadged Martin...Battleship grey,ported spool on the handle side with rim control. Nothing fancy, but does it's job like any other Martin... The fly was store bought-think wooly bugger with a small red "flag" off the rear of the tail... Tonyg

Post 07 Nov 2019, 11:13 • #36 
Piscator
new packaging in the new Hot Sauce - this is the new version that was promised to us last year - there should be more batches and more available.

Post 12 Nov 2019, 03:24 • #37 
Master Guide
I figure it's time I tried this stuff, but, as seems to be the new norm, the Cabela's site was a black hole of credit card confirmation issues upon checkout. Damned if I'm calling them directly again to place an order for a couple of tubes of lube! >:

Post 12 Nov 2019, 07:09 • #38 
Piscator
you're correct - their website usually times out before it can get a credit card approval - you'd think they could afford an IT guy.
I called them to order a spool of braid and had a pleasant conversation with the lady on the other end. It was kind of funny, she was going down her required product (pushing) list, told her I was all boned up on fishing gadgets - she even took notes to take back to her husband. I think I sold her on the Schwartz Tactical Kiridashi.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 08:07 • #39 
Piscator
Now that Hot Sauce is back on the market, can spare it for other uses.

The white lithium grease that was in here before - 6 years, about 3000 mi - turned to solid cake. The balls are ceramic, and I could hear a whir from the front wheel.
Figured out the whir was the ceramic balls bouncing against each other.
Everything cleaned up, races and cones were perfect - my good ears saved that.

Don't slather your reels like above - use a brush and get just enough

Post 30 Nov 2019, 08:44 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like the old Bullshot bicycle grease; it was red too.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 10:03 • #41 
Piscator
I have some of that, too, and used it on headset roller bearings, but it's a Lot stiffer than Hot Sauce. The hubs have a conical grease reservoir below the race, and the idea is for grease to flow into the bearings.
It takes Hot Sauce to make that work.
The hubs also have a central port for adding grease (more probably, tenacious oil for racing), but don't know of anyone who's ever used them.
It was a gooey job to get to this point.
All of these went through the vinegar bath and came out Great - this is Before, just a boeshield wipe-down.
next foul-weather weekend is going to be the rear hub.

Post 30 Nov 2019, 12:32 • #42 
Master Guide
Nice stuff, Ron! Maybe it's a "guy thing", but there's something innately satisfying about stripping gunked-up works and putting them back together. :)

Post 30 Nov 2019, 18:42 • #43 
Piscator
I had it sitting idle for month until I could get there, and have other bikes to ride, all special, but the Moser is silky fast - and I'm taking it out again tomorrow.
The really good news, I had visions of busted ceramic gliding around on the race, but none of that occurred.
(of course both cones and press-in races can be found - inexpensively in the right places - Andy at Modern Bike).

We're having a gorgeous weekend here, after a week of rain. Hit 80 this afternoon, and will do it over throughout the next week.
Glad I get to ride tomorrow, because after that, both work and Trout in the Classroom are swamped for two weeks.
Not even sure when I can next get to the tailwater to fish, but right now, it's wall-to-wall people, anyway.

Post 13 Dec 2019, 15:10 • #44 
Master Guide
OK, Cabela's is going to drive me loco! I checked the status of my order online and it said it had been cancelled. No notification email or any such courtesy! >:
Fortunately, the stuff is now listed as "in stock" and today is free shipping, so I gave it another try. Rarely have a I seen a company try so hard to frustrate customers. Yar!

Post 17 Dec 2019, 11:05 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Never knew of ceramic ball bearings.Heat resistant yes but a chip in one seems like it could be a disaster.I work with tile and with modern ceramics and porcelains they are making them very large these days.Just did walls 48"x 24" tile.If one broke while lifting to the second row it would cut your head off.Stuff can be like shrapnel if stressed too much.There are other online sellers of hot sauce and my local bait/tackle shop sells it.BD needs to find it in bulk.It really is good stuff.Some reels i thought were done now purr nicely.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply