It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:38

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Mar 2018, 10:36 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
In watching auctions and sales for the Medalist reals and even the Sal-Trout reels it seems like there is a trend that the Gems are left un-bid/unsold while most of the Medalists and Sal-Trout reels sell, the Sal-Trout for less, depending on vintage, but it looks like most of them do sell.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Sal-Trout, but it looks a little basic and not as stout in build as the Gem or the Medalist. I have no experience with the Gem, and that is why I ask.

I have a couple of Gems calling to me, the handle and the raised screw...just the look of them.

I have done a search and while I found folks who like them, there is not a lot of detail

Post 29 Mar 2018, 12:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
To me it is the drag system, I have never seen a Gem in person but pictures clearly show it has a spring-pawl-click/whatchacallit drag similar to several other reels that I have had and did not like.
All the similar reels had the springs had problems. Enough to keep me from bidding on an unknown. If I had one in hand, I'd give it a try and hope for a surprise.
If I collected for the sake collecting, I'd want a couple just to have, but...

Post 29 Mar 2018, 12:14 • #3 
Piscator
apples and oranges, for sure, but Sal-Trout is a good reel.
The white-handled Gems are postwar. The plastic composition on many of the prewar Gems gave up, but they take to a Pfoot handle perfectly.
The Gem is a great reel with a smooth large-diameter drag gear, light weight, and made to last. They're much smoother than the click-pawl Medalist, which has a small drag gear.
Official blue collar Pflueger.
We don' need no drag - Gem has a Great click-pawl
Image Image
if you can find the horseshoe latch Gem, they were only made in 1935
Image Image
1951 Wards cat

Here's a Sal-Trout, inside and out - the caliper clicker spring can be biased, but it will never be a clockwork click-pawl
Image Image

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 29 Mar 2018, 12:17, edited 2 times in total.

Post 29 Mar 2018, 12:15 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I love the Gem I got. I'm glad that they fly somewhat under the radar as they're usually an inexpensive buy.

Post 30 Mar 2018, 17:56 • #5 
Guide
I have a couple 2094 Gems and I like them very much. They balance vintage glass well and look good doing it. I also love the robust and smooth clicker gear. Bulletproof, too. Don't know why they're not more popular. Probably personal preference as Bulldog noted. But the fact they are only right retrieve doesn't help. I don't care, I like them!

Bloodhound, if you want to check one out before you buy one on ebay, PM me, I live in the Denver area.

Post 30 Mar 2018, 18:17 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Dan...PM sent

Post 30 Mar 2018, 19:09 • #7 
Master Guide
I like them but right hand retrieve doesn't work for me. I have modified 1 or 2 to lhr and invariably lose the finger screw.

Post 31 Mar 2018, 11:17 • #8 
Master Guide
The Pflueger Gem is a great click/pawl reel. Well designed and the classic appearance suits both vintage and new fiberglass rods. The Gem is one of my favorite reels and so therefore I own a few. What prevents them from being more popular is that they are RH retrieve. RH retrieve works for me, and so I have no problem.

Post 31 Mar 2018, 14:24 • #9 
Guide
I have a Gem and I am also partial to LHW. I just turned the reel around and ignored the line guide. Seems to work just fine. Can't tell much difference in the sound of the click with line going out or line being retrieved, though there is some, I can't see anything being hurt or damaged by doing so.
Joe

Post 31 Mar 2018, 14:41 • #10 
Guide
Ron, thanks for printing the Wards catalog piece. It was fun to read, especially the "hints" section. Never thought to put pork rind on the tip of a streamer.

Post 31 Mar 2018, 16:17 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
In most fly fishing circles most would consider that addition "bait". ;)

Post 31 Mar 2018, 16:44 • #12 
Guide
I'm not (and I'll bet other fly fishers are not either if they would admit it) adverse to using a little garden hackle once in a while. As long as it is legal of course.
Joe

Post 31 Mar 2018, 20:35 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Well I have listened to your wisdom and I purchased the 2094 with the handle that was calling to me. I'll post up pics when it gets to my PO Box. I have a very specific section of river I am planning to break it in on. I love new to me tackle in the Spring!

Thanks again all

Post 31 Mar 2018, 20:58 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
In back of my mind I seem to remember having 2094 Gems with different size gears on their spools. Do Gems come with different size gears? Figured might be something to check if buying for spare spools.

I found the three of them I still have and all have same size gears, so maybe my memory wrong or thinking of different type reel.

I just noticed another difference in the reels I have. Two have their reel foot held on by screws and the others is held on by rivets.

Barry

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 31 Mar 2018, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Mar 2018, 21:00 • #15 
Guide
Barry, you're right. I have two 2094 Gems. Not sure of their age, but one is an early variation with brass reel foot that is riveted to the frame, no screws with a smaller spool gear. The other later, with a stamped reel foot attached with screws like a Medalist and a larger gear, liked pictured above in Ron's post.

Last edited by lostrover on 31 Mar 2018, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post 31 Mar 2018, 21:07 • #16 
Guide
I would not consider using pork or any other "bait" attached to a streamer. Just thought the idea was amusing. If I want to use bait, I'd switch to traditional gear.

Post 31 Mar 2018, 21:44 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Dan, my comment was not directed at you, so please no offense. I just thought it was funny.

Back on the OP question... this is only my opinion, and not worth but 2 cents, or less.
Gem screw vs. Medalist spool latch not as cool looking or practical to release the spool. Gem handle, even the cool swirls are not as attractive as the old orange/Amber handle on a Medalist. No adjustable drag vs. the drag on a 1938ish or after Medalist. I know not nessessarily apples to apples, but the Medalist is more attractive and practical. Did I mention the round line guard? Or the 1392-94 etc. no line guard. More coolness. Your mileage may vary.

Post 01 Apr 2018, 04:59 • #18 
Piscator
so what's wrong with conventional tackle? :hat

The two gem's I posted above are pretty old - the reel with the Pfoot handle is dated May '42, so you almost have to count that as a prewar reel.
Image Image Image it was an unused reel in the box, but the handle grasp had decomposed, and of course a $15 steal

The original composition would have been the pink-striped resin that I call candy-cane - maybe somebody else has a photo to post.
Sometime between 1936 and '42, the Gem made the change from the small drag gear to the larger one.
And nothing down on the postwar reels - as you can see above, they were the best reel Ward's offered in their '51 catalog. .

Post 01 Apr 2018, 06:42 • #19 
Sport
This is the only Gem that I use right now. I have a few newer ones floating around but I've been offloading those on eBay from time to time. They are solid, smooth reels.

Post 01 Apr 2018, 08:23 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I have been tempted on many occasion to get a gem. How is spool fit? Any wobble?

If I tie on the pork rind instead of hooking it then can I call it a fly? Maybe call it the honker instead of zonker. ;)

Post 01 Apr 2018, 09:09 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Image The Calcasieu Pig Boat was invented to use pork rind on the fly rod

Post 01 Apr 2018, 09:50 • #22 
Piscator
ARReflections wrote:
I have been tempted on many occasion to get a gem. How is spool fit? Any wobble?
.... ;)

Except for the foot, and missing the silky finish feel, they're nicer reels than the pre-patent-drag Medalists.

Post 01 Apr 2018, 15:16 • #23 
Sport
Hi Guys, Nothing, they're my favorite reel. I have a bunch.............. I gave one away today.......

Jay Edwards

Post 01 Apr 2018, 17:20 • #24 
Master Guide
Love them pig boats. Didn't know anybody else remembered them.

Post 16 Apr 2018, 17:24 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
The Calcasieu Pig Boat was invented to use pork rind on the fly rod

I have tied a fly to imitate a pig-n-jig.. uses pine squirrel strips where the pork would go, palmered marabou and rubber legs up front, Fish Skull mini-sculpin head.. casts like its namesake pig, need a 7wt or better, but does work..

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply