It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:51

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Dec 2017, 23:51 • #1 
Inactive
I have more than a reel or two, but the reels i fish with are limited to two types, cfos and gunnisons. I love my mcneese reels and my hermann, but I never fish them. I understand that Bogdans and hermanns began as serious reels, and many fish them. But you know, I wouldnt. I love my cfos and gunnisons, I once beat a grizzly unconscious with my g2 and continued to catch some decent browns that day.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 05:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
A Hermann reel came to me "cheap" (that's another story) but I couldn't fish it either so it found a new home. I have a pile of reels with 4,5, and 6wt lines on them and all are worth fishing with. But the two I fish most often are Hardy Lightweights - the Featherweight and LRH. I just love their sound, looks, feel, simplicity and function. If I need a lighter reel and line, usually a sage 300. For a longer heavier rod, my Kineya 301B or an Abel.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 08:48 • #3 
Piscator
I always described my Gunnison as the most indestructible, reliable, and unlovable reel ever made. Where you need a disc drag, it's most always over-qualified (but then that applies to most places disc drags get used, anyway). It is useful for the by-catch of red salmon that always accompanies Alaska rainbows. Likewise, on my last Alaska trip. found a Marquis was not useful for the same under-gunned activity (fine for the rainbows).

My disc drag vote for most fishable reels goes to Valentine, both single-action and planetary - a better Medalist-on-steroids and simpler design than the Gunnison. My vote for the most esoterically pleasing disc drag (ok, drum brake drag) of all time goes to Marryat, which was the fly fishing candy of the 1980s, complicated to unequaled smoothness by an aluminum roller-bearing clutch. The most over-qualified disc drag of all time, as well as the purest simplicity of function, goes to Abel, and this is the reel you want for tarpon and blue water. Runner up for functional simplicity goes to Lamson LP (actually a caliper-brake drag), but I wouldn't pick one for a tarpon reel.

Anyone who has fished a postwar Young that I've had my hands on knows how amazingly fishable these reels can be.
Properly tuned, the click is as sweet as any Hardy, and way out-ranges any click-pawl ever designed by Hardy (which includes CFO).

My favorite innovative/fishable click-pawl designs are at surprising extremes of the spectrum. Hardy's vertical-pawl-and-crown-gear Prince. Not only is this Hardy's widest-ranging check, but the fact that it fits inside the spool arbor changes the geometry and function of the entire fly reel in a positive way. First time you put one of these on a rod you discover you've gotten used to the off-center winding and torsional imbalance created by the offset weight of any other check/drag design.
Image Image

The other is the most enduring and endearing click-pawl ever - Martin's helical spring check, found on the reels we give the similes of Poor-man's CFO and Poor-man's Hardy Lightweight - and not without reason.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 24 Dec 2017, 10:56, edited 3 times in total.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 08:50 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I kinda agree. I like my Hardy reels and JW Young made reels best. I must add something you may find blasphemous; I'm fishing some of the new Hardy large arbor reels and I love them! I also have some Abel TR that I like and I have a pair of Galvan Standards and an Aspen I use on bigger rods. I'm employing a pair of the new Medalist too. They're essentially Hardy Lightweight reels with more weight. Ideal for glass!

Last edited by scud dog on 24 Dec 2017, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 09:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Not sure I fully understand the intended theme here. Is it "what are your favorite reels"? Or is it "which reels look/perform well but aren't so nice/expensive that you'd be afraid to use them"?

Anyway, I have lots (far too many really) reels, some clickers and some disc drag. I rarely need a strong drag, and so I tend to choose my reels based on looks, how they'll balance with a particular rod and price.

All that said, my favorite reels are the already mentioned Ross Gunnisons. I have a couple of G2s (a pre-94 and a pre-98), a heritage G3 and I recently picked up a pre-98 G1 -- never thought I'd buy a disc drag reel for a 3 wt, but I like the looks and the weight of the reel will balance nicely with a longer rod I have.

Other favorites include my Ross Colorado 0, Hardy Featherweight, Abel TRs and, for some heavier weight rods, a JW Young 1525 and some Young-made Shakespeares.

I've always wanted a Galvan, especially a standard or Open Back, but just have never been able to find one for a price I'm willing to pay.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 09:36 • #6 
Piscator
It began with a description of a benchmade, conventional frame reel derived from EVH, and became an ode to two favorite production reels, which our OP suggests are the last reels he will ever need.
I think we've each honed/pared our reel quivers to a handful of favorites through the years (some of the reels I listed don't own any more), and we should be equally happy that a bunch of these quality reels have passed through our hands, home waters, and exotic destinations.

A lot of the traffic on our forum is people looking for tackle-tinkering ideas, so what do you like and why is always a fair topic

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 24 Dec 2017, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 09:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
I've always wanted a Galvan, especially a standard or Open Back, but just have never been able to find one for a price I'm willing to pay.

A guy in my neighborhood put a Galvan Standard up for sale on the neighborhood website. Fifty bucks. I was the second one to see it, unfortunately.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 09:50 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog: Thanks for the clarification. And I agree the topic is a good one--it's always great to talk about gear.

Tomah: Talk about leaving money on the table. Really too bad you missed out on such a great deal.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 13:10 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The Martin helical spring check is very nice and functional. In fact, most of my pictures have a Martin LM in them. I have replaced the spring in my Martin LM 4/5 with a spring from the average ubiquitous click pen. Actually the spring from the pen was a perfect fit and stronger which made the LM reel even better IMO.

Otherwise my Hardy Golden LRH is a good reel too. I have my sights on one more reel then I am done.

Last edited by ARReflections on 25 Dec 2017, 12:32, edited 3 times in total.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 13:36 • #10 
Guide
I'm a Hardy fan and own a few nice ones, but the reels I fish the most are an indestructible 1494 Medalist converted to LHW, and an early Orvis CFO IV (but made by Hardy).

Post 24 Dec 2017, 22:13 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The reel I use almost all the time now for my 4,5 and 6 wt. rods is a pimped out 1494 Medalist.It works perfectly.

Post 25 Dec 2017, 09:18 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
What a good topic. I fish the reel that has the right line on it :)

There are so many nice reels, but when I go fishing, I want a dependable reel that I don't have to think about. Looks are not my concern 95% of the time.

I fish disk drag reels 80% of the time I go out. I don't know if I am beginning to turn into Bulldog, but I don't fish my Gunnison's as much as I used to. It's probably because my J-Ryal and Marryat's have newer lines on them.

For 90's era, rock solid, disk drag reels, the Gunnison falls into the same category for me as:
* Ross Gunnison
* J. Ryal / Teton reels
and the similar, not quite as bullet proof, but better looking
* Lamson LP's
* Marryat

And for older reels:
* Medalists.
* Sage 106M and 108M
* Leeda/BFR Rimfly (with the adjustable drag)
* Orvis/STH Presentation or Presentation EX reels

I also fish Abel's, but unless I am fishing 9/10wt or spey rods, they don't seem to be my go to reel.

Post 25 Dec 2017, 11:37 • #13 
Piscator
nice thing about this thread is there is no call to call out another's preference, which is always pointless, anyway.

Post 25 Dec 2017, 12:35 • #14 
Sport
I fish Hardy reels, more specifically å 3" Bougle for #4 lines, and a 31/8" Perfect for #5/6 lines. They look good, they balance my rods perfectly, they are really durable and easy to maintain, and I love their sound.

Post 28 Dec 2017, 19:18 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
WNCtroutstalker wrote:
All that said, my favorite reels are the already mentioned Ross Gunnisons. I have a couple of G2s (a pre-94 and a pre-98), a heritage G3 and I recently picked up a pre-98 G1

EDIT: Well, I just further fed my Gunnison addiction by picking up a post-98 G3. I prefer the looks of the pre-98s, but couldn't resist given the condition (dead mint) and price.

Post 28 Dec 2017, 23:07 • #16 
Master Guide
I'm a big fan of the Martin MG-3 and MG-7. I have a spare spool for each and these two reels cover most of my fishing. I'd love to get my hands on another MG-3, but they are getting a bit expensive.

David

Post 29 Dec 2017, 00:21 • #17 
Master Guide
Solitude reels float my boat.

(So does my Mako 9550. :) )

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 29 Dec 2017, 01:37 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Kalgrm wrote:
Solitude reels float my boat.

Definitely on my list for a do everything for my Bandit, but for the time being, I'll make due with my System 2's...actually really like them.

Post 29 Dec 2017, 06:58 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Medalists are all I have. They seem to do what I need.

Post 29 Dec 2017, 07:48 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
but for the time being, I'll make due with my System 2's...actually really like them.

Bombproof workhorses at very reasonable prices. Hard to beat.

Post 29 Dec 2017, 12:36 • #21 
Guide
I've fished a lot of reels I liked over the years, and quite a few I could live entirely with out. For me price is HUGE and so is reliability. I have 30 fly rods...every one has a reel, then I have a medium sized plastic tote and a nice padded case with even more reels. The moral of the story for me is I fish what I can buy cheep, and that works for how and where I fish. So that being said my favorites are.........

any brand of Hardy clone, I'm too cheep and have too many rods to buy the real thing.
TFO NXT standard arbor disk drag
Berkley 510 - Walker 77 for my bamboo rods
Cabela's Wind River especially on my 7wt and bigger rods

Post 29 Dec 2017, 20:39 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Kalgrm wrote:
(So does my Mako 9550. :) )

A picture of that on one attached to one of your custom rods would be neat.

I think I would be afraid to fish that one. I think it would fall into the "afraid to fish" category.
I just need to go someplace where I would need a reel like that.

Post 30 Dec 2017, 15:46 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
For clicks...Islander IR series

For disks...Solitudes

Post 10 Jan 2018, 19:31 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
WNCtroutstalker wrote:

Agreed. In 1993 we were living in Sacramento CA, picked up a Galvan in one of the local fly shops and thought it was a superb reel.. but looked at the price tag and put it down again.

Galvan thinks they are affordable, though - company website says,
"In 1990, after fishing his home waters, (a tributary of the Tuolumne River called the Clavey River), he went into a fly shop to purchase a better quality reel only to find that he could not afford one. So he began to develop a design of his own: a light, rugged reel with an exceptionally smooth, dependable drag system at an affordable price."

That really doesn't match my memory - that first reel in 1993 was the most expensive reel I'd ever held in my hand..

The one reel I'd still like to own is the Douglas Argus, but that's unlikely to happen. Fortunately between Martins, JW Youngs, and the Orvis/Hardy Battenkills, I am a happy man in terms of reels..

Post 11 Jan 2018, 06:49 • #25 
Piscator
that inspiration-to-end story fits Valentine better than it would any reel machined from bar stock. When Galvan was selling for $240, the Valentine planetary multiplier was selling for $120, and the single-action was selling for $80. Larry Valentine was in the perfect place to produce this reel, contracting aircraft parts from his alloy sheet metal shop. The anodizing quality, fit and finish on this reel is as good as any bar stock reel ever made. And the design is better, balancing function and production.
Image Image

Image Image
Also, Larry is still around to replace those anozidzed gears with his delrin upgrades, because reels are a sideline - he doesn't have to sell them to keep making them.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply