It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Sep 2017, 18:00 • #1 
Sport
Where can I get my hands on parts for this reel, the drag piece is cracked as seen in the photo.

Post 03 Sep 2017, 21:30 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think that part is rivetted to the reel,so I don't know how you would fasten it back on.Unfortunately the reel may be toast.

Post 03 Sep 2017, 22:07 • #3 
Sport
After cleaning this all up it's still attached and works, just missing a big chunk of it. I suppose I could just fish it until it breaks off and the reel will just become a dragless "click" reel.

Post 04 Sep 2017, 16:51 • #4 
Sport
I was able to cut out a small piece of cork sheet I had on hand that I use when tuning duck calls, cut it out to shape where the missing chunk was, and glue it into place. I am happy with how its working now.

Post 04 Sep 2017, 19:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Great, resourceful solution. Now, does it make a quacking sound when a fish takes line?

Post 05 Sep 2017, 06:16 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I'm just hoping the brake spring and its retaining parts are removed for the photo.
( http://www.ereplacementparts.com/pflueg ... 86749.html ) They are essential for the correct operation of the reel. The brake shoe is replaceable and not too hard to come by from a parts reel, even a knock-off, but that repair will probably work fine.

Overlubrication and accumulation of congealed lubricant is probably the cause of the damage, with lubricant getting where it doesn't need to be, such as soaking into the brake shoe and softening the area that crumbled away. A complete cleaning followed by absolutely minimal lubrication will get that one going nicely again--if the v shaped brake spring is installed.

Post 05 Sep 2017, 09:05 • #7 
Sport
whrlpool wrote:
I'm just hoping the brake spring and its retaining parts are removed for the photo.
( http://www.ereplacementparts.com/pflueg ... 86749.html ) They are essential for the correct operation of the reel. The brake shoe is replaceable and not too hard to come by from a parts reel, even a knock-off, but that repair will probably work fine.

Overlubrication and accumulation of congealed lubricant is probably the cause of the damage, with lubricant getting where it doesn't need to be, such as soaking into the brake shoe and softening the area that crumbled away. A complete cleaning followed by absolutely minimal lubrication will get that one going nicely again--if the v shaped brake spring is installed.

Haha yeah I took the whole reel apart for a cleaning, it's all back up together in perfect working order.

I actually gave the spool a facelift while at it. The paint was horrible on it so I ended up citristripping it off totally. I am very pleased on how it came out.

Post 05 Sep 2017, 10:21 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
looks great!

Post 05 Sep 2017, 10:22 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Nice work...that reel looks ready to go

Post 05 Sep 2017, 12:01 • #10 
Sport
Bloodhound wrote:
Nice work...that reel looks ready to go

Yeah, putting it on a wonderrod that will be for streamers, just gotta find a line it likes.

Post 06 Sep 2017, 05:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Now there is a classic match-up with a Shakespeare rod--and the Pflueger wannabe Shakespeare Purist even had a bright spool.

Post 19 Jan 2021, 11:17 • #12 
I replaced one of these on a 1494 a coupe of years ago-
Sent it to Archuleta who made a new rivet and installed. $$, though...more than the reel will ever be worth-
I have a 1494 carcass that has the part in place ,which should fit - you can have it for the cost to ship it-let's say $5...
Chuck1

New Topic Add Reply