It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:23

New Topic Add Reply
Aspen Reels
Post 17 Oct 2015, 10:36 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I had never really heard of Aspen fly reels until Cameron mentioned them in the Solitude thread. I thought they looked nice and the prices were really good. These are made in the USA by a small shop in California. I bought the 3/4 mid arbor. Fit and finish is top notch, drag is very smooth. The spool pops with your thumbs so all tolerances are tight. Although I bought the 3" 3/4wt I was able to fit a TT long belly 5wt on it with about 10 yards of backing. The foot is 2.5 inches and fits a slide band similar to the older hardy foot. I took a pic of a marquis 5 foot in a slide band.
All in all I reel like the reel and see more in my future.

Bob

ImageImageImageImageImage

Re: Aspen Reels
Post 17 Oct 2015, 11:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Bob,
I'm going buy one myself. I spoke with someone fishing one this spring and then read Cameron's comments. I'm looking at the large arbor #350. I'm thinking it will service my Kenney 853, Hardy 8'6" #6 or BOTH!?! I spoke with someone at Aspen earlier this week. She assured me I could line up the reel and check it for balance. They'll accept returns/exchanges granted the reel is unmarked.
Let us know how you like the drag and all.
Thanks, Barry

Post 17 Oct 2015, 13:48 • #3 
Guide
Yeah im also thinking of one of these sweetharts. Just wondering how it will ballance my lighter rods. Does the reel feel light in hand?

Post 17 Oct 2015, 14:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
This one weighs about 5.6 oz. not the lightest but I think it feels good on rods 7'6-8' or any longer graphite

I should add one more thing that is unique about this reel. The drag even though it is a disk feels like a click drag, where it hesitates after each click but it is very smooth
Bob

Post 17 Oct 2015, 23:25 • #5 
Master Guide
I've owned my Aspen mid arbor for about 4 or 5 years now. Paid $30 for it. Brand spankin' new. Best $30 reel I've ever owned! Lmao!

Their customer service is top notch. I've had to use their warranty service once and it couldn't have gone any smoother. Great company.

There's a thread over at another forum where these reels got picked apart and a lot of the inner workings about the reel itself were discussed. I'd post it if it's of interest.

Post 18 Oct 2015, 07:55 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
hotdish wrote:

There's a thread over at another forum where these reels got picked apart and a lot of the inner workings about the reel itself were discussed. I'd post it if it's of interest.

by all means, post away.

I'm glad that there are so many positive reviews coming out on these as I'm in the market for a good mid-large arbor salty reel for my Bandit. I do already have a System 2, which is indestructible, but I really like large arbors for the running line I use with my shooting heads, causes it to coil less (less stretching the entire running line before each outing for me). I'm looking at Aspen and Solitude. I love the look of both for very different reasons...

Cheers,
Randy

Post 18 Oct 2015, 10:30 • #7 
Master Guide
Here you go...

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forum ... p?t=365483

Post 18 Oct 2015, 13:45 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like in the end they were well thought of.

Bob

Post 19 Oct 2015, 10:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
cool, thanks hotdish

Post 07 Nov 2015, 10:31 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I listened to Bob and purchased the 350L. I fished with it twice so far. It's listed weight is 6.3 oz but it doesn't feel any heavier than a Zyz reel I have that's listed at 5.5 oz. Should I be surprised? Anyway, just like Bobha and HotD stated, this reel is super nice. I'm really impressed with the quality, service and it's a lot of reel for the price. I suppose they can control the retail costs because they are selling them directly to the consumer. All in all, this is a really fine US made reel that's well worth the money. It's also virtually maintenance free. Just pull the spool off and rinse it with water. Because the drag is made of steel and teflon, you are NOT to use oil or grease. Again, thanks for the recommendations guys, great reel.
BTW, it's just heavy enough on my 853 Kenney and balances on the edge of the cork with an 8'6" Hardy JET.

Post 09 Sep 2020, 07:31 • #11 
Guide
For those of you that own an Aspen...... Are you still really happy with it? I feel bad I've never heard of the brand. They look fantastic and the price is great.

Post 09 Sep 2020, 12:44 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have a problem trying to figure out how they can sell it at this price point.Thats a lot of machining.

Post 10 Sep 2020, 09:12 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Clarkman, did you ever pick up an Aspen for your shooting heads / running line ? Curious to know how it worked out, if so.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 10:16 • #14 
Guide
Big thanks to Lone Wolf for resurrecting this thread ... Aspen Reels is still alive and well and I just ordered a 350 mid-arbor. Can't wait to get it in my hands!

Post 17 Sep 2020, 13:57 • #15 
Guide
I was thinking of that exact model, in matte black. If you don't mind, let us know what you think of it.

Post 17 Sep 2020, 18:30 • #16 
Guide
Should have it next week. Will do.

New Topic Add Reply