It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:04

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: The YoungPfoot
Post 27 Oct 2014, 07:46 • #26 
Guide
If you check out the afftma dwg, the reel foot tang thickness is not called out (specified) and therein lies the problem. The problem is illustrated below in the comparison of a Redington Drift 3/4 reel foot with the 1492 pfoot. The pfoot length is also short by 0.125 inch but that doesn't matter, to me.

Post 27 Oct 2014, 11:39 • #27 
Thanks for the excellent photo. The tang thickness is specified as 42 thousandths, but the 'depth' or measurement "G" is only a minimum dimension of 0.250". In your case you need something larger than 0.250" to fit snugly in your reel seat? Would pfoot accept a return?

Post 27 Oct 2014, 12:26 • #28 
Piscator
when our late friend, Bill was making these, the black anodized pfeet were super-thin
the bright finish aluminum were somewhat thicker
and the brass were thickest
However, I can't tell you about the current stock.
Good luck.

Post 27 Oct 2014, 15:29 • #29 
Guide
Hi Yolo, I believe you are misreading the dwg. The 0.042 dim is actually the taper. It is the difference of the OD at the top of the taper with the OD at the bottom of the taper. The G dim is simply if you placed the pfoot on a flat plate and measured the height at the center. Anyway the thickness is not specified.

I did place two strips of "moleskin" (Bulldog's suggestion) at the ID of the pfoot and it works perfectly and it can't be seen while at work. I have no intention of returning it since I prefer it over the oe foot. Call me a pimp.

Post 28 Oct 2014, 00:44 • #30 
Klingon: (I'm beating a dead horse & I apologize). I admit I'm confused about the std drawing. I'm still 'leaning' to the opinion that the B radius is constant throughout the length of the foot & that E dim is the thickness at the tip or end of the foot. Nevertheless, you solved your problem with a work around. My main reason for picking up the whip is to share this blog on reel making & his ruminations on the AFFTA Std. It's most interesting but over my head. And, regarding my pending situation, I'm going to order the pfoot replacement foot for my Pflueger and hope it mates to my Lemke reel seat since they're both supposed to meet the AFFTA Std (which I/we know is suspect).

http://northbranchreels.com/2014/07/28/top-of-the-foot/

Post 28 Oct 2014, 06:04 • #31 
Guide
For the record, on my first build (Steffen 8 ft 3/4 wt) I used a Lemke all metal reel seat. There are no issues with the pfoot / Lemke seat. Fits fine in spite of the very thin feature. More thread wraps were subsequently added at the end of the tip section, after the photo.

Post 28 Oct 2014, 08:41 • #32 
Piscator
not sure this discussion belongs on this thread any more. Reel seats and reel feet and pfeet vary, by definition. Some times they pair up perfectly (square-ended postwar Young foot up to 1959 and Granger patent seat, e.g.) - some times they don't. There is enough leeway in the specified drawing to permit these variances.
The best fit I ever had was Floyd Burkett taking my between-the-wars 2-5/8" Young foot and building my reel seat around it. It also happened to work for the 2-7/8" smooth alloy foot on this 1917 St. George.

Post 10 Mar 2017, 20:09 • #33 
Master Guide
Sorry for the not so great photos but I wanted to add these to this thread tonight. I just finally got around to finishing this project. Earlier in the thread there was discussion of the reel foot thickness but also be mindful that on the Young's feet, you'll need to file down the length of the screws. The feet are designed so the screw head is counter sunk very low so you'll need to take off a little bit of each length. It's simple enough with a simple four in one file and then a smaller jewelers file. I followed that with 250 grit paper. Most importantly, as you've heard Ron mention before, you really do need a pair of nylon pliers to secure the screw when filing it down. You can find them at most hobby shops or Michaels stores. I know some of this was covered in another thread but it made sense to have it here as well. Anyways, I've had this reel languishing for a while and I'm happy to finally get my act together and put that Pfoot to use. One last thing, I darkened the brass foot as the new polished brass finish just seemed not quite right. A little of the original Palmolive does the trick.

ImageImageImage

Post 10 Mar 2017, 21:38 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful job Sir!

Post 11 Mar 2017, 08:10 • #35 
Piscator
look like pretty great photos to me

Post 11 Mar 2017, 11:17 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
A beautiful job on a reel that will sing for you Steve.

Post 11 Mar 2017, 12:19 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
You would have a hard job to take a bad photo of such a good reel.

Post 11 Mar 2017, 13:44 • #38 
Master Guide
Gorgeous reel. There's just something about a dark gray or black reel accented with aged brass that looks damn good.
I never heard of the "Palmolive trick" before.I may have to try that out on some shiny brass.
Thanks!

Post 11 Mar 2017, 19:08 • #39 
Master Guide
Thanks guys. I've read that it has sulphur derivatives in it that are very similar to what is found in some of the commercial darkening products - but much more user friendly. Just rub it a little bit of it with a very tiny amount of water. You'll start to see a change in a few minutes. Not all of them have the same formula so look for the original green Palmolive. You know, like Madge. ...and it'll soften your hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7BvEldVEHU

Ha! this'll show my age

and to be specific, it was made for Hunter and Son of Belfast. I think I need to add this to the "Young by any other name" thread. Image

Post 14 Oct 2017, 12:56 • #40 
Sport
That "Madge" was a beaut'!
Not as pretty as that reel though!

Thanks for the tip on the Polmolive to age the look - I had not heard of that before and I have a couple of repaired reels that have been bugging me with that shine.

Post 12 Apr 2020, 08:18 • #41 
Piscator
Since no one else put them here, Bob Selb has his own line that includes Young foot.
http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/M_PARTS.html

Post 10 Mar 2021, 11:27 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Apparently Dan Hill sold OnePfoot to new owners, Joe and Jamie Burg from Akron, NY.

Here is a link to the new website of OnePfoot.

Post 08 Apr 2021, 16:38 • #43 
Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
Apparently Dan Hill sold OnePfoot to new owners, Joe and Jamie Burg from Akron, NY

After trying to obtain a couple feet for almost a year with no luck, I contacted these folks, got prompt answers to my questions, and received a couple feet and drag plates within a week. The feet look great, installed easily, and fit my cap ring seats.
Thanx for posting the link.

Recommended.

Post 20 Apr 2021, 05:01 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
I had my own issues with the last owner so I'm glad to hear that Joe & Jamie seem to be doing OnePfoot justice.

Thanks for the review!

Post 26 Apr 2021, 09:04 • #45 
Guide
Though I did eventually get the parts I wanted to buy, working with the last owner made me realize what George Costanza felt like dealing with the "Soup Nazi" on the Sienfeld Series.

Post 17 Apr 2022, 14:56 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
I never really had any problems with Dan Hill.One time I contacted him.he was in south america fishing for peacock bass.He just said to send him the order and he would get right on it when he got back on Monday.I got an invoice on Monday,sent the payment and the order was on its way.I think the problem people had with him is that he liked to go fishing too much and was away a lot. :)

Post 16 Jan 2023, 12:52 • #47 
Sport
Ponefoot has helped me a lot on the past with my 1495s. Problem is I ended up making a $25 Reel a $150 reel! They sure are nice now though.

Post 16 Jan 2023, 13:24 • #48 
Piscator
Nothing wrong with that.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply