It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:17

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply

What percent of the reel cost do you value a spool?
100%! I would buy a second reel and toss the frame just to get a spare spool 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
80%. I always buy a spare of they're available 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
60% I usually buy a spare spool when I buy my reels 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
40%. I'd like a spare spool but often do without 32%  32%  [ 21 ]
20%. It might be nice to have one 29%  29%  [ 19 ]
0%. If it's free I supposed I'd take one and put it in the closet 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 66
Re: Spare spools
Post 09 Aug 2014, 09:01 • #26 
Master Guide
I hate to drag us even further off topic, but I can't help but notice that prewar reel with a counter balance. Do you think that is some kind of Pattern 1?

Post 09 Aug 2014, 13:05 • #27 
Piscator
I think The Teme is likely a pattern 5, since looks visibly wider than the Gilmour drawing.

Post 09 Aug 2014, 14:12 • #28 
Master Guide

I never cease to marvel at your treasure chest of beautiful old reels that I've never heard of before. Thanks for the picture.

RVC

Post 10 Aug 2014, 06:15 • #29 
Piscator
this one is even better
and my favorite fish story of all time - I know you didn't ask for it.
I was sight-fishing the bass above in an oxbow and she was slowly creeping toward my cats whisker
Just when she flared her mouth, this yellow belly darted out and grabbed the fly.
The whole time I was fighting the gill, so was she.
When I was handling the fish, she sat down at my feet.
Note that I changed reels to change lines from floater to sinker. Daubed the fly in front of me, and she immediately snagged it.
First time they ever waited patiently in line to eat a cats whisker

the Gilmour is a Pridex by another name, and a name that ceased in 1962, but again, my "Tuxedo" version is immediately postwar - these smooth finish exes are desirable, at least to me.

Here's an early Beaudex that warms my heart.
the finish is smooth, the gray color has a pink tint almost making it taupe - maybe you'd call it champagne.

Post 10 Aug 2014, 06:25 • #30 
Master Guide
What you call a yellow belly looks to me like a very large bream. It's almost as big as the bass! Apparently what I need to be about is finding beautiful old reels to afix to beautiful bamboo rods while I learn to tie cats whiskers. Possibly moving to Texas wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks again for the great pictures.

RVC

Post 10 Aug 2014, 06:31 • #31 
Piscator
Lepomis auritus - common names vary by region (as does pigmentation) - redbreast sunfish, yellow belly - they are native to N. Atlantic drainages, but have been stocked widespread because of their size and desirability (and become wild everywhere).
But that specimen does indeed look like a cartoon fish :hat

Post 10 Aug 2014, 06:37 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
That is a nice sunfish, looks like a sunny I know as the long ear.

Post 10 Aug 2014, 07:27 • #33 
Piscator
what we call long-ear is Lepomis megalotis
not only are they native here, they are the only native secondary division fishes west of the aquifer recharge zone, and their pigmentation varies dramatically between drainages.
their genes have them as the baddest boys on the block, and when hooked up, they change coloration electrically, flare their gills and shake their bodies to frighten you
they're also on their redds year-round here
there's really no right answer to colloquial common names, and the only wrong answer is those who think common name usage is a measure of intelligence, or at least that someone on the other side of the country needs to get with the program. :hat

The "second best fisherman I know" calls them all "perch," which is only incorrect at genus and otherwise is correct all the way to superorder.

Post 10 Aug 2014, 07:32 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Beaut beauti bueatiful fish you've shown us. Indeed the use of "common names" can make things confusing. Thus when talking about several fish within the same genus Latin binomial/binary nomenclature can be helpful.

Post 10 Aug 2014, 07:54 • #35 
Piscator
only to keep it clear across those invisible boundaries - as long you and your friends know what you're talking about, all is good...
You should see the redbreast sunfish at the top of Lake Austin (can't really call them yellow bellies) - their bodies are deep royal blue with ruby-red bellies.

A funny one within Texas is usage of "rock bass", "google-eye" and "warmouth", which I have straight :lol but others have 4 species all mixed up, including using all 3 of these names for green sunfish.

Post 11 Aug 2014, 09:16 • #36 
Sport
I guess I'm one that still buys spare spools. I typically buy spools to use one reel on several rods. I have original issue CFO's with multiple spools so I can use them on a 4, 5 and 6 weight rods. Same with modern reels. I have a Bauer Rogue 5 for a modern switch rod with a spool for a Skagit line and another spool for an indicator line. Cheaper that buying two reels, and no, I don't care to compromise and just buy two cheaper reels.

I bought an 8 foot Orvis Superfine Glass rod and new CFO III reel and had a chance to use them both in Wyoming in July. Both the rod an reel were outstanding and found that I only used one other rod/reel, despite having nine rods in total with me, during three full days of fishing.

A week ago I was in my local Orvis store extolling the virtues of the new rod and reel to the store manager, telling him my only disappointment was that Orvis decided not to sell spare spools. He told me if it was up to him, he'd never carry spare spools, and people that bought spare spools were from "your generation". YIKES!

As we speak, I'm working out a trade for a spare spool for my St. George Junior...

Post 11 Aug 2014, 13:32 • #37 
Piscator
well....I even use spare spools with spinning reels.
My daughter and I both have 7'9" Japanese tetra rods we use for pier fishing at the coast with 3-lb. Yozuri.
(rod shown here with my Tica Cetus UL reel)

She fishes her Penn 4200SS UL with 3-lb. Yozuri on this rod,
But fishes the same reel on a Falcon Open Hook Special with 10-lb. Yozuri.
(she was catching honking big sheepshead here)

the Penn 4200SS didn't come with a spare spool - I hunted it down, was lucky to find it from Penn direct for a long discontinued reel, and of course was happy to pay retail for the spool.

Post 12 Aug 2014, 01:07 • #38 
Master Guide
interesting thread. Spare spools on quick release reels make sense to me. I have a couple of Marquis 7 frames, for example, that I use with about four different rods. I have 5wt, 6wt, 7wt lines in different tapers matched to the different rods.

What I don't get is spare spools for Hardy Perfect and Bougle reels. With the brass screw and easily contaminated ball bearing design, I just don't see myself changing out spools often. Hardy lists them -- I wonder how many they sell?

Post 12 Aug 2014, 06:27 • #39 
Piscator
very good point about perfect and bougle.
you're apt to lose a $45 nickel silver screw at streamside by swapping spools.
(I do have a bougle spare, though, I believe I bought it on closeout at Cortland factory store)

Post 21 Aug 2014, 06:35 • #40 
Guide
I still use spare spools. Example I own two Hardy LRH reels, and three spare spools. They are loaded with DT lines in 4,5, and 6, the other two spools have silk lines. I use these reels with four different rods depending on conditions. One reel is my go to and one is a spare in case of damage to the first reel.

Post 21 Aug 2014, 11:43 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Interesting the way this thread has moved. As to the original question on spare spools, I have spare spools for my Valentine 375(two).
It's fishing the beaches and surrounds, the 375 is easily switched out and with the variety of conditions is the only reel I need to meet the conditions I fish. In all other cases I match the reel with line to the rods and proceed accordingly. I always worried about bending the spares and other things that could go wrong. Spin fishing I do have spare spools for my Penn 706's and 714. They don't see much action any more.
You guys have got to stop pulling up those pics of classic reels, I'm going to go broke. Not really, nice pics great reels.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 21 Aug 2014, 18:42 • #42 
Master Guide
Love the pics, don't love spare spools. I've got 15 reels maybe more, and 2 spare spools.

Post 26 Aug 2014, 13:23 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
there's really no right answer to colloquial common names, and the only wrong answer is those who think common name usage is a measure of intelligence, or at least that someone on the other side of the country needs to get with the program. :hat

http://www.fishbase.org/
From its front page,
"32800 Species, 303500 Common names"
or, nearly ten common names per species, with some being far higher of course. "Spanish Mackerel" is thirteen different species..
The site as a whole is a work of fascination and beauty.

Drifting back to the original thread - used to get spare spools, have them for Hardy Viscount and Daiwa SF706, but now just buy another reel instead. It's more fun that way ;-)

Post 06 Sep 2014, 15:40 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Since I fish a Medalist 1495 on 3 different rods, for moving and stillwater, I have 5 spools loaded for that reel. Just the way I am. Keeps it kinda simple. Spools for 1495s used to be pretty cheap. Have not checked lately.

The Waco Kid

Post 16 Jul 2022, 21:10 • #45 
Sport
always carry spare. i also use almost exclusive shooting heads.
1 reel
2 spools
2-4 heads per wt
floater
quick sink core line
regular sinking at __@__ seconds per ft
have 1 rod with 2 tips give me a #3 wt and a 5# 95% of my fishing is covered by those.
jjw.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply