It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:51

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply

What percent of the reel cost do you value a spool?
100%! I would buy a second reel and toss the frame just to get a spare spool 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
80%. I always buy a spare of they're available 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
60% I usually buy a spare spool when I buy my reels 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
40%. I'd like a spare spool but often do without 32%  32%  [ 21 ]
20%. It might be nice to have one 29%  29%  [ 19 ]
0%. If it's free I supposed I'd take one and put it in the closet 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 66
Spare spools
Post 25 Jul 2014, 06:21 • #1 
Master Guide
I was surprised to see so many posters list the lack of spare spool as a reason not to buy a new Orvis CFO. Honestly it never crossed my mind. Spare spools don't offer the trip insurance of true redundancy - if something happened to your reel on as trip would it be the section of the reel with no moving parts? And I don't find switching spools any quicker than just switching reels. And it seems that the spare spool is always 60% of the cost of another whole reel. I'd rather buy a cheaper reel for backup than carry a spare spool.

I don't often switch from floating to sinking lines on a trip though, and I'll admit carrying a full spare reel is marginally heavier than just packing a spool. But I'd be interested in hearing why you like spare spools and how much you value them versus the cost of the original reel.

Spare spools
Post 25 Jul 2014, 06:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like using the same reel for rods that are slightly lighter or heavier. For example a 4 and a 5 weight rod.
A spare spool saves getting an extra reel.

The old CFO III for example fits great on 3 to 5 weight rods.

Re: Spare spools
Post 25 Jul 2014, 06:55 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Cold pass,
I remember when I bought my Ross Rythym 3 fly reel for my graphite bought back in '04 or '05. At the time, cost of the the reel itself was all I could afford, but I had intended to buy an extra spool for intermediate WF6 sometime soon. That extra spool didn't come around until two years ago, so I guess it wasn't real that high on my list. ;)
In a kayak or drift boats, I have been known to keep an extra reel spooled with sink tip or clear intermediate, and when appropriate I just swap out reels. In contrast to this, when I wet wade sections of the creek I'll take and extra spool along in my bag because of lighter weight.

Les

Post 25 Jul 2014, 07:32 • #4 
Piscator
I always look for good buys on spare spools, and use them when I can find them
When I'm fishing warmwater, I always carry two sinking lines and a floating line (sinking lines take more abuse). This usually entails a spare spool plus a spare reel.
In the salt, I carry floater (which I use only where water is less than knee deep), an intermediate/slime line for mid-column fishing greater than knee-deep, and TS for passes and deep water. I have spare spools for my salty Lamson, Valentine, and Ocean Prince.
Didn't take the poll - no offense - I don't think about it in those terms.

Post 25 Jul 2014, 08:41 • #5 
Master Guide
Lack of a spare spool certainly would not keep me from buying a reel.
I'm not much interested in reels and glad that I am. I have multiple reels of the same manufacturer, model and size which keeps things simple for me: mainly Orvis Battenkills (size III) and Pflueger 1494s.
Jim

Post 25 Jul 2014, 09:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have spare spools for some of my reels, why I don't know. I prefer extra reels. I might change a spool at home, but on any fishing trip, I take extra reels. Even if I plan to fish the same rod reel combo most of the day, I just take two or three of that reel, each with a different line.

This stems back to a bit of wisdom shared with me by two anglers from Pennsylvania on the Battenkill near Shushan about 40 years ago. They had a VW camper rigged for fishing: rod racks inside, fly-tying supplies and bench, and tackle storage cabinet. We had gotten acquainted since I was set up at the next campsite. When we were getting ready to hit the river, I said I'd be just a minute as I wanted to change the spool on my Pflueger 1494.

"Change the spool?" one of the fellows said. "Why do you want to f' with that?"

"I like to have spare spools for different lines," I said.

"Oh I'm changing lines, too," he said. "But don't get an extra spool for that."

He opened a drawer full of Hardy lightweights. Half a dozen or more. There might have been a Princess in there, too, and not some chick from a rock concert at Saratoga where the VW bus would be a hit.

"Get the whole reel."

This made good sense to me.

Post 25 Jul 2014, 12:02 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
This reel junkie never uses a spare spool. I take extra reels and for me it takes no more time to rig than does a spare spool.

Post 25 Jul 2014, 14:18 • #8 
Guide
I've got a reel fetish (though on a blue-collar level, and mainly photographic, rather than in-hand) and when i rejoined the fly fishing ranks about 12 years ago, I was under the impression that a spare spool was invaluable. So i have a few spare spools for a few reels. But i never actually use them. When I started fishing from a tube, and then a pontoon, I got used to rigging two rods with reels and lines ready to go. On land, I'd just make do with whatever rod and reel and line combo I started with. Perhaps I'd be more successful in catching if I changed out spools...

This year I started carrying two fully rigged rods and reels in hand while traipsing along Sierra river banks. One 7-8 foot 4wt for dries and a 9 foot 6 wt for streamers or heavily weighted nymphs. And i usually have a third reel stashed in the car. Its not that expensive since my reels and most lines are bought used.

eric
fresno, ca.

Post 29 Jul 2014, 18:41 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I guess I don't get the multi-line on the same rod thing anymore.

When I started out I was "told" to buy extra spools and fill them with sink tip lines. I even had one of those fancy Orvis Tak-L-Pak vests with the two (incredibly inconvenient) "spare spool" pockets on the back. That is where my spare spools collected lint because I used them about two times.

These days every rod I own works perfectly for me with one line weight in every situation so I don’t bother over or underlining and I only fly fish for trout and occasionally smallmouth bass and sunfish so I have never needed anything but a floating line where I fish.

Besides, I couldn’t be bothered switching lines. If I had to for some reason I’d just walk back to the car, have a beer (or two) and switch outfits.

Post 29 Jul 2014, 21:00 • #10 
Master Guide
If I had a very expensive reel that met all my needs, maybe I'd go the extra spool route.

As it is, I just carry extra reels.

Post 30 Jul 2014, 09:13 • #11 
Piscator
I carry (and fish around the tides) 3 different lines in salt.
In warmwater I carry 2 sinkers (one is a spare) and 1 floater
In coldwater I carry 2 floaters (different leaders for dries and nymphs) and 1 sinker
However I get them to the water, spare spools and/or reels works fine.
I don't get the contention, but I guess I still don't get the question - buy as cheap as you can

Post 06 Aug 2014, 07:54 • #12 
Master Guide
I'm a reel guy. I tried spare spools years ago and could never solve the grease problem of carrying them around. When I'm in a boat, (which happens more and more often as I age) the spare reels are attached to spare rods. :)

Post 06 Aug 2014, 09:10 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
saltwater only; I carry two spools with my reel; floating line on the reel; intermediate for the surf; teeny 130 for the channels. Rest of the time I carry extra reels-p-

Post 06 Aug 2014, 16:29 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I'm with WW, never solved the grease problem on most of my dual pawls, so I just carry more reels. I'm sure I look a little odd with various pockets stuffed with reels, but then I look a little odd most of the time anyway. Usually a WF, a DT and a sinker of some sort. :hat

Post 06 Aug 2014, 17:16 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I tried extra spools but I find it easier to just attach a new reel then to put on a new spool.

Post 06 Aug 2014, 20:32 • #16 
Guide
Being a spring creek guy, I really have no use for sinking lines or spare spools.

That said, I recently purchased a Hardy Princess 2 screw with an extra spool.

The spool will go to an interested person.

Post 06 Aug 2014, 21:09 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I have 3 reels that have extra spools:
1) Orvis CFO III screw back - it fits a 7'2" 3 pc. 5 weight McFarland built by Cross Creek perfectly with a Rio Gold WF5F and also a McFarland 8' 4 pc. 4 weight by Graywolf (Shane) so I bought an extra spool so I can go minimal (without buying another CFO III) - this spool hold a DT4F Cabela's Prestige
2) Hardy Featherweight with an extra spool - one holding a Rio Gold WF4F and the other an Orvis DT3F (can't remember model of line) which goes with a couple rods depending on water fished
3) A Medalist 1494 from 1941 with 2 somewhat newer spools (1950's) updated with OnePfoot hardware - reel spool with Rio Gold WF5F, extra spool with Rio Gold WF6F, and a spool with only backing so far and lonely. :(
I use this reel on several rods ( cane (2) and a couple Fenwicks).

Bottom line, if I look at all of the reels I have, I have many more reels total than reels/spool combos... but I do like to have spare spools, but only if it makes sense, and much is predicated by wallet thickness.

We all dance differently! :)
John

Post 06 Aug 2014, 21:27 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I fish an Orvis CFO 123 with a WF3 on a Steffen and with a WF4 on a 7' Quiet Loop. My Hardy LRH matches a couple different rods as well. Aside from that I probably could sell off my other spares but I won't. Kinda like having an insurance policy. You never know when you'll be glad you have it.

Post 06 Aug 2014, 22:25 • #19 
Sport
I have a second spool for just about all my reels. It's not a spare but second easy to change line ready to go.

I dislike heavy flies; clousers and other jigs. So instead use sink tip and intermediate as conditions dictate. For fresh is often carry 2 spools, one floating and other sink tip. For salt floating and clear intermediate (really slices through the wind).

I saw another post "why the contention", I completely agree. To each his own.

Buy/use what you like. About like the dumb argument over which hand to reel with.

Pete A.

Post 07 Aug 2014, 18:56 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I always buy spare spools if price looks good. I picked up eight spares last month for reels I'm thinking about buying, but prices were very very right.. For my own use I always like at least two complete reels of any type I'm fishing.

Barry

Post 07 Aug 2014, 19:52 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Used to but spare spools all the time, but over time I've decided that given how little I've used them it's not worth the money.

Today, if I were to buy a new, expensive reel I would not buy a spare spool for it. I will buy spare spools for my Medalists when the price is right, just because the cost is so low ...

Post 08 Aug 2014, 06:54 • #22 
Master Guide

Pardon this brief departure from the thread, but is that an Ocean City reel? Looks like an OC 36.

Post 08 Aug 2014, 09:11 • #23 
Master Guide
Similar looks but that one is branded for Allcock's "The Gilmour". Made by Young in the mid-30's and is a Pattern 8.
Perfect for catching searun Cutts as it is doing in that photo.

Post 08 Aug 2014, 09:43 • #24 
Master Guide
Thanks. That's a good looking reel. It's neat to see older reels that have been used long and hard and are still at it.

RVC

Post 09 Aug 2014, 07:59 • #25 
Piscator
here's the Gilmour in the '39 catalog

and my '47 jewel

the question comes up often whether Young sold spare spools for the exes, and as far as catalogs go, doesn't look like they ever did.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply