It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:40

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Jan 2014, 09:11 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
here's what it looks like inside..

Post 15 Jan 2014, 09:33 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Nice jewelry but the screws are in bad taste.

Post 15 Jan 2014, 13:10 • #28 
Master Guide
Thanks for posting the pic. The insides look very, very similar to my older CFOs. Very nice. I just wish they kept the line guard :(.

Post 15 Jan 2014, 14:41 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
They seem like a winner to me. I like that they are like the older CFO without the line guard. However I have to say that I am a bit bothered by the two different typed of screw heads visible on the spool side. I personally think that they should both be slot head. That won't keep me from desiring one though ;).
I can't remember right now, was the Hardy made special edition from a year ago slot headed only?

Post 15 Jan 2014, 18:59 • #30 
Master Guide
Yes, the 2012 Hardy-made special edition has slotted screws throughout. Wonder how much a gun or reel maker would charge to make matching screws with slotted heads? I haven't seen any pics of the reel foot from above, but I also wonder if it has Phillips head screws. Sounds like an aftermarket upgrade, like Pfoot parts for Medalists. If enough customers complain to Orvis, though, they might order the change themselves. The nickel silver line guard was originally an optional upgrade that became standard on all but the tiny CFO II due to customer pressure.

Post 16 Jan 2014, 08:09 • #31 
Emeritus
Those screws have Abel written all over them. I agree that slotted screws would look a lot better, but I'm sure the manufacturer prefers to use what they have in stock.

I'm still gonna get one ...

N

Post 16 Jan 2014, 13:09 • #32 
Master Guide
The screws look like the same that are used on the abel trs (i have both reels and they look identical). The screws holding the reel foot on are not philips head. The only philips head screws are the ones on the spool latch cover. I'm not an expert on reels, but I don't think anyone handling the reel will question its quality.

Post 16 Jan 2014, 18:26 • #33 
Emeritus
Yes, Abel uses slotted screws on their reel feet, but they are much larger than the little phillips on the latch covers. It would be a nice continuity to have them use the old-style screws all around.

Then again, this does allow Abel to give these reels a "family look" even if they are not officially recognized as the manufacturer.

Abel TRs are still my favorite series of freshwater reels, so I guess the aesthetics really don't bother me that much. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these - maybe hanging off one of Orvis' new glass 7.5' 4-weights ... ?

Post 19 Nov 2022, 07:09 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Years after this first news post - and about 4,000 times laying or dropping the reel down...
They are going to last - and possibly OUTLAST other CFO's.
The screw heads will forever be a tell tale sign of the version you are or aren't after.
Use them to your advantage.

Post 19 Nov 2022, 08:02 • #35 
Piscator
Since Brian did his normal wee-hours MO of an enigmatic post topping an antique thread, I'll give it a point.
(You didn't like my Rogue reel addendum to the disc drag thread?)

Unless your goal is selling a lot of replacement parts, nickel silver line guard is the dumbest idea ever, especially with already 50 years of data points. Noteworthy, nickel silver was harder than the enamel used on vintage frames. I used to have a bread-and-butter repair replacing the grooved nickel-silver line guard on Hardy Lightweight with the hard-chrome line guard from parted Olympic-Seiko Hardy clones.

Modern type-III anodizing is literally four times as hard as nickel silver. Having a softer line guard on a new CFO would be far less than brilliant - again, unless your goal is selling a lot of replacement nickel silver.

Post 19 Nov 2022, 08:37 • #36 
Guide
bulldog, I liked your Rogue reel addendum to the disc drag thread:)
Brian’s exhumation of this old buried thread reminded me of something I decided back in 2014:
PHILLIPSon glass rods? yes please
PHILLIPShead CFOs? thanks but no thanks

Post 19 Nov 2022, 09:29 • #37 
Piscator
Thanks.
Here's the Rogue reel link for when somebody searches-up Rogue on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67897#p417147

Noteworthy, the OP is no longer an FFR member, I wish i could find Arctic Grayling.
Seems pretty pointless to give an attaboy to an 8-y-o thread. Especially one without photos of the subject reel.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 19 Nov 2022, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Nov 2022, 10:13 • #38 
Guide
Gorgeous...Abel has always done a great job

Post 19 Nov 2022, 18:27 • #39 
Guide
Great reels if you can find ‘em

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply