It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:59

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Mar 2020, 12:42 • #101 
Glass Fanatic
No left handed can openers or jar lids. Most hand tools are ambidextrous, but the ones that are not like scythes didn't come in left hand models as far as I know.
Even hair on people's heads grow in a clockwise direction for the big majority of us, and I read that most of those whose hair grows anti-clockwise are left-handed.
Handedness is interesting to me, being cross dominate and with Dad and Grandpa apparently ambidextrous, two of my five children are strongly left handed, yet "they" say handedness is not genetic.
Estimates vary from 2% to 30% on how many are left handed with the accepted average world wide being about 12%. I read that in primitive cultures the peaceful groups had very few lefties but the warlike groups had near 40% left handers, then I wonder how they know this about long dead societies.
In societies that are more demanding of conformity like the north Asian groups left handedness is much lower than elsewhere, estimated at <2%. (whack them left hands hard enough often enough and the kid will be right handed)\

Then I wonder if the primitive peoples living in the southern hemisphere invented any machines, and what direction they turn? did they follow the prevailing winds and waters anti clockwise direction? Did Aztecs run 90% left handed?

Last edited by Trev on 27 Mar 2020, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Mar 2020, 13:14 • #102 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for more, Trev. Must be the southpaws just turned the can or jar upside down to open. I saw a guy do it one time at a picnic table, but while he might have been a little bit "warlike," not sure left-handedness was the reason, especially seeing the type of liquid inside the bottle he was opening. He was cooking a little later, but I didn't dare tell him he could hold the canopener and turn the can.

Back to Pfuegers, for a while there in the late 1970s and 80s as the LHW preference developed, it was pretty common to see Pfluegers being used LHW without the line guard having been switched or, probably, the directionality of the drag. Default delivery mode of fly reels was RHW, but eventually shifted to LHW. Mid '90s, I seem to remember but could be off quite a few years either way. More specifically, never noticed when or if Medalist default delivery position was ever changed to LHW. Definitely not when I purchased the last two I ever bought new, late 1970s.

Post 27 Mar 2020, 15:48 • #103 
Glass Fanatic
I bought a 1598RC I think in the early '90s that was delivered RHW a 1494 1/2 marked AK & China sticker that was RHW, didn't know they had ever changed that.
I have flipped all of mine and whenever they felt clunky afterwards, I re-did that, because it was caused by the pawl not being oriented correctly. Sometimes the pawl seems to turn halfway when reassembling the ratchet. And once I forgot to turn the pawl. If mine wind clunky after I'm done with a switch-over, I've never noticed it. Noise is in opposite directions though.

Post 12 May 2020, 11:49 • #104 
Guide
Hi, folks:

First time back after (I think) a nine-year hiatus--been lurking as a guest all these years. I have a healthy collection...er, or maybe unhealthy collection...of Medalists and Orvis Madison reels. They are perfect IMO for balancing glass rods. Modern reels are too light, and my Hardy reels are too "Sunday go to meeting" for my glass rods.

Pondpiscator

Post 12 May 2020, 12:55 • #105 
Sport
Just bought another Akron 1494 off e-bay that looked a little fugly but cleaned up beautifully with Bulldog's Tx for reels. While I have a 1392 and 1394 changed to L hand, I still like the older 1494's. I have a 1496 ringer with birdcage spool and a 1498 that gets to go striper fishing. The 1494 easily handled 6lb+ smallmouth last week. They are great old reels at bargain prices.

Post 12 May 2020, 14:21 • #106 
Guide
Joe Brooks used Medalist reels (not to mention Johnson Magnetic fly reels). So did Lefty Kreh. That's enough bona fides for me for both of those classic American reels.

Post 12 May 2020, 14:34 • #107 
Glass Fanatic
Now that i think of it I do recall many Medalist reels in magazine pictures. I believe Lefty mutilated the 1498 so that he could thumb the spool.

Post 12 May 2020, 18:12 • #108 
Glass Fanatic
It would have to be another thread to get the whole list, and it would easier to name what few U.S. anglers who were above using Pflueger reels than the many, many who did. And they were the no brainer match for the typical 'glass fly rod of their last few decades of U.S. manufacture. "The Part I Remember," as Charlie Waterman would say, viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13012&p=81757&hilit=Waterman+graphite+Pflueger+Charlie+Pflueger+Medalists#p81757

Post 26 Mar 2021, 23:29 • #109 
Glass Fanatic
They get a pass because they are best looking when field fresh!
Look how the new to me 1492 on the far left looks very striking -
similar pattern to the reel on far right - naturally occurring paint loss.
Time made that reel look cool.

And because when opened up, they usually just need a drop of oil to run true again.
Clicker reel shown on left / Drag model on right

I was told my lighting is not great - OK, you are right.

Post 27 Mar 2021, 12:13 • #110 
Master Guide
whrlpool wrote:
Back to Pfuegers, for a while there in the late 1970s and 80s as the LHW preference developed, it was pretty common to see Pfluegers being used LHW without the line guard having been switched or, probably, the directionality of the drag. Default delivery mode of fly reels was RHW, but eventually shifted to LHW. Mid '90s, I seem to remember but could be off quite a few years either way. More specifically, never noticed when or if Medalist default delivery position was ever changed to LHW. Definitely not when I purchased the last two I ever bought new, late 1970s.

The mere discussion of changing retrieves on a Medalist makes me shudder. ;)

I was gifted a beautiful, like new 1494 that had been converted to LHW. The first think I did was switch it back to RHW. As I inserted the tiny ratchet spring back into its burrow, it just disappeared. Gone. Launched. I searched for hours to no avail. I took apart a tire Schrader valve core to get a tiny spring, which was too long and too stiff. After repeatedly cutting it down, refitting it, cutting it down, I finally got it so the reel's outgoing click stops weren't overly strong.

(My one tip from that experience is, if you do use a Schrader valve spring to replace a lost ratchet plunger spring, trim it back a little from the bottom --larger diameter-- end, not the top, smaller diameter end. Otherwise, under compression, the larger diameter spring winds will stack up in the plunger hole, jam under the plunger, and cause excessive resistance on outgoing operation.)

I put that like-new 1494 on a like-new Fenwick FF75. I can step in to the trout stream and, at the same time, step into the past. :)

Post 27 Mar 2021, 12:35 • #111 
Piscator
Working in a shoebox comes to mind, but the best help for finding wayward tiny parts is a good bicycle headlight.

Post 27 Mar 2021, 20:35 • #112 
Master Guide
I used a Fenix 1000 lumen LED light. No luck. Using a strong flashlight shining parallel to the floor is a great way to spot tiny dropped items. I keep a flashlight and a strong magnet at the fly tying bench. :-)

Post 19 Jan 2023, 03:30 • #113 
Glass Fanatic
These get routinely used... and keep wanting for more :

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 New Topic Add Reply