It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:33

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2012, 06:08 • #26 
Guide

It may just be a function of advance age, but some items for me have surpassed being just classics, rather they have become iconic. At least in their day, they represented all that was good and right about the way things were done in our country. I'd maybe add Harley Davidson motorcycles and Martin guitars to my list.

Post 20 Sep 2012, 06:48 • #27 
Piscator
I don't think most people today realize how Pflueger Medalist was considered over most of its 80-year production run. It was the premier production American fly reel until CNC machining brought bench-made reels into production in the 1980s. It will always define the American fly reel.

Post 20 Sep 2012, 07:13 • #28 
Sport
I adore my Hardy reels, but my Pflueger Medalists and Heddon Imperials are very special to me as well, especially my round line guard Medalists.

The Medalist is a heckuva reel for the money ... I just won an auction for a lot of (3) 1494's for $60 shipped ... a "patent pending", a "made in Akron", and a DA. You certainly can't beat that.

Tom

Post 20 Sep 2012, 09:56 • #29 
Guide
It says something about an item that can be used on a regular and frequent basis for 20/30/40/50 years and be worth as much, if not more than the day it was purchased.

Post 20 Sep 2012, 12:46 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
And they lend themselves to hotrodding. .. (Full race factory Onepfoot conversion.)

Post 20 Sep 2012, 13:21 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
It's not their primary attraction to me, but yet another reason is that in their heyday, the larger capacity Pfluegers, especially the 1498, were among the very few relatively inexpensive high capacity, heavy-duty fly reels. They were Pflueger's premium reel for sure, as pointed out above, but a great value compared with a more limited selection of quality--but more expensive--British reels. They are very fit for the same purpose today, and well ahead of their time in filling it back then. The 1498--I used to have one--was and will remain my least-used size, but I couldn't pass this one up that I just picked up a few hours ago by sheer chance. As new, in the box with papers, about 1964.

Post 20 Sep 2012, 17:26 • #32 
Sport
Very nice 1498 ... not common to find one with the reinforced spool, in my experience. The tricked out 1494 is pretty sweet too!
Tom

Post 21 Sep 2012, 18:57 • #33 
Sport
If I was to count my fly reels the Medalist would be 1st or 2nd in numbers, sizes and spools along with my Hardys,those along with the various Youngs never get sold just added too. Medalists have been a part of my life for almost 40 years and are like a old friend.

Post 21 Sep 2012, 21:38 • #34 
Sport
The other plus is that there are a lot of functional medalists still out there. They hold up so well you can pick up a high quality, proven reel for next to nothing ... Cheaper than newer crappy reels

Post 22 Sep 2012, 08:12 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Archknits wrote:
The other plus is that there are a lot of functional medalists still out there. They hold up so well you can pick up a high quality, proven reel for next to nothing ... Cheaper than newer crappy reels

And threre were so many of them, they just keep popping up. I picked up a pair of 1495 and 1494 pillar post, cirular line guard, metal latch cover medalists recently. They are at least 60 years old and function as good as a new reel.

Medalists are stashed in garages, attics and basements all over the country and most are probably lightly used.

Carl

Post 22 Sep 2012, 18:27 • #36 
Sport
Was out fishing one today, which my dad gave me. He switched it to lhw probably 20-30 years ago, and after all of that, it took to today for me to notice that two screws were missing. Either they just fell out, or they were missing for all that time and catching fish.
So I want to actually replace them, sonde they go to the foot on the backside. I know I can order them online from onepfoot, but they are more than a buck a screw, and I don't mind mismatch. Is there something I can pick up at a hardware store?

Post 22 Sep 2012, 18:51 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Archknits wrote:
I know I can order them online from onepfoot, but they are more than a buck a screw, and I don't mind mismatch. Is there something I can pick up at a hardware store?

Let me know too. If there is a place to order 50 of them at a reasonable price, I would be interested too.

Post 09 Feb 2016, 05:32 • #38 
Sport
Wow, what a great thread on the venerable ole Pflueger Medalist.

LUV that onePfoot hot rod!

And all the great posts... what a great site.

Thanks guys. ;-)

Post 09 Feb 2016, 14:53 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah,I've got an old 1498 in very good shape that I never use but I'm not selling it either.Whirlpool I also like that Diawa glass rod.I've got one myself and find it a nice rod.The most popular Medalists seem to be the 1494's.After they stopped making them there was about 6 different 1494's went for over $100 US in a 2 week period Some were around $125 to $130.Now they seem to have settled down a bit.

Post 09 Feb 2016, 15:45 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
"Enduring design and construction. Dependable function. No need of a "pass."

And that's the truth.

Post 09 Feb 2016, 19:11 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Those round line guard with metal latch just ooze awesomeness. Was really hoping the latest medalist would look like these with the hardy innards.

Post 09 Feb 2016, 20:27 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
Archknits wrote:
I know I can order them online from onepfoot, but they are more than a buck a screw, and I don't mind mismatch. Is there something I can pick up at a hardware store?

Let me know too. If there is a place to order 50 of them at a reasonable price, I would be interested too.

I did end up finding black screws that were a match on either Amazon or Ebay. for a very reasonable price.

Post 10 Feb 2016, 08:06 • #43 
Piscator
3-48 brass panheads are easy to find - I have a box of them.
But no modern screw is going to match the style of the original screws. (the OnePfoot screws will indeed match - more than a buck/screw is not bad to get exactly what you want)
One place to try is ORCA - check with folks like Dick Janak
http://orcaonline.org/services/reel-rep ... repairmen/
Pretty sure Col. Milt sold his entire inventory of Pflueger spares, but you could likely find the parts by contacting members.

Post 10 Feb 2016, 11:51 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
The New Medalists would look better if the badge was more similar to the metal original, price warrants it. I do like that they are click pawls.

Post 10 Feb 2016, 13:51 • #45 
Inactive
I do like my Medalists.

Gems, too.

Post 10 Feb 2016, 17:04 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
We always go down this path, but just in case some of our newer members haven't been viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45371&start=25

Gosh I love the enduring interest in these reels. In another ongoing thread, we had a question about classic matches for a Fenwick 10 weight. I had my thoughts instantly, but I wanted to hear the west coast guys describe their experiences with both the rod and the Pfluegers so often used with them. It is a joy to read the responses there.

I don't think the current Medalist needs a pass either, a solid product at a modest price. Personally, I would pass on it because the clumsier I get, the more I notice details of ergonomics. I just don't like spool latches in any position other than 180 degrees opposite of the winding knob. Anywhere else, (90 degrees in the case of the new Medalist), it is more likely to be snagged or interefere with clumsy fingertips winding, cupping the spool, and so on. It should be in as distinctly separate/independent/out of the way position relative to the knob as possible so it is never operated inadevertently. For others, this ideal position will be different depending on your grip and winding technique, feathering the spool and so on.

My favorite Charley Waterman's article was about a typical junket photoshoot with slicks more interested in advertising than content. Well Charley was a smart guy so when they complained about his Pflueger and asked him to use some kind of a British reel they had with them, he put it on his rod and finished the shoot. Then he put his Pflueger on and went fishing. That is the part, as Charley would say, I remember.

Post 10 Feb 2016, 23:55 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
my brother used a 1498 as his first and only saltwater reel, for some years.. caught some big long-running fish on it, never a malfunction, jam or trouble. It works even after you drop it in the sand, unlike many of the new reels.

I bought an Orvis Clearwater reel with disk drag for carp, it works fine but I actually prefer the Pflueger 1495 and have gone back to it..

Post 11 Feb 2016, 16:26 • #48 
Sport
jhuskey wrote:
"Enduring design and construction. Dependable function. No need of a "pass."

And that's the truth.

Gosh John, you have some nice looking Pflueger going on there!

Post 11 Feb 2016, 17:23 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Some newer stuff.

Post 11 Feb 2016, 18:21 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks CR - one of these days I'll put up pics of them all (now minus one) :)

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply