It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jul 2011, 23:39 • #1 
Sport
I was given a J.W. Young Condex reel today which is in sound condition. The issue is that it is set up for right hand wind.

I assumed that converting to left hand wind was simply a mattter of removing the spool, lifting the drag spring, removing the pawl then reversing it, and placing it back on its mount.

The reel has a single pawl and fixed drag spring. On reversing the pawl I found that it failed to engage the "teeth" on the spool and thus the reel was silent when winding and the pawl failed to engage / operate. No amount of fiddling seemed to be able to position the pawl to engage the teeth on the spool when the pawl was reversed from its original position.

Is this model of reel right hand wind specific and not capble of being converted to left hand wind? Do I need a specific left hand pawl? (and where would you look to source such a part?) I hope there is a simple solution to converting the reel to left hand wind as it is a beautiful piece.

Many thanks for any advice.

Rob

Post 26 Jul 2011, 04:12 • #2 
Master Guide
Rob,

To convert a Condex to left hand, one needs to remove the spring and reshape it to accommodate your intentions. Although the Condex was the simplest and most affordable reel, it's also the most difficult to reverse and adjust.
On the Pridex and Beaudex you can remove the stanchion to take the spring out, reshape it and put it back in place.
The problem with the Condex is that the stanchion is riveted in place so the spring not only needs to be pushed out but also needs to be pushed back into place - meaning any reshaping of the spring will be altered once you push it back into place. This needs to be anticipated when shaping the spring and that really comes with experience (and on any model, a little bit of bending of the spring goes a long, long way to altering its function).
The Condex still frustrates me to no end - much more difficult than the other models.
If it is a gift and something you really want to keep and fish, I'd suggest you send it to Bulldog to take care of it. He has a lot of experience reversing these reels (and can probably can do it with his eyes closed).

. ..or learn to wind right hand. Image

Steve

and by the way, welcome to the forum.

Post 26 Jul 2011, 12:28 • #3 
Piscator
Hi Rob,if you send me a clean reel, I can do the conversion for $30 plus the return insured shipping. Otherwise, I charge $15 to clean it.

Post 27 Jul 2011, 08:45 • #4 
Sport
Steve, Many thanks for the advice and your welcome. It would seem enaging the services of an technical expert makes sense.

B.D. Thank you for your offer. I would not think twice other than that I would have to send the the reel to the other end of the earth for the service! I will get back to you if I decide to proceed.

Once again, many thanks gentlement.

Rob

Post 27 Jul 2011, 10:16 • #5 
Piscator
where are you, Rob?

Post 30 Jul 2011, 09:59 • #6 
Sport
Tasmania, Australia

Post 30 Jul 2011, 11:54 • #7 
Piscator
gotcha.

Post 15 Aug 2011, 09:24 • #8 
Sport

As it turns out I think I may have now solved the problem with a simple, reversible solution.

I had thought about epoxying an aluminium spacer between the spring and the reel frame to adequately tension the spring. Reflecting on the spacer and epoxy plan I thought about whether I could devise a spacer that would tension the spring but also stay in place without resorting to the use of epoxy. I have taken a length of 3mm rubber band, folded it twice. I placed the folded band (edge side down) between the arm of the spring and the reel housing thus tensioning the spring. The surface area in contact with the spring arm and the reel housing along with the tension of the spring and the damping properties of the rubber (a aluminium spacer simply vibrated out) holds the spacer in place and appears not to be able to be dislodged no matter what.

The tension on the pawl is perfect and can be adjusted if needs be by folding the rubber band spacer to the desired width.

I suspect that the rubber will perish in time when exposed to the lubricants used on the pawl and bearing bush but can be readily replaced.

I will trial this arrangement for now but am hoping for the best.

Once again many thanks for your suggestions and advice

Rob

Post 16 Aug 2011, 13:29 • #9 
Master Guide
I have used a small piece of tube-fly tubing to do the same thing. And once while in the field I cut up the plastic bottle cap to some steak sauce to do it also. Brand of sauce didn't seem to matter ... Image

New Topic Add Reply