It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Jul 2011, 22:20 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
As innovations in alloys and machining technology accelerated some time in the late '80s, Martin, retaining its time-proven coil spring drag configuration, enhanced with a second arm and pawl (one or the other to be used according to winding direction), they began producing the modestly priced, excellent LM and Strata/MZ series reels, the latter also labled for Browning. Always thought of them as the poor-man's CFO, and I consider them a better reel, as they are more rugged at the expense of a bit more weight per size, which is actually desirable for many 'glass rods.

Never been a big fan of open-frame reels, though. This spring I mistakenly took along an LM 56 I'd used off and on instead of the MG3 I meant to take. I stuck with it as a primary the rest of and June have warmed up to the open frame style, having always liked the reel's finish and mechanicals. But taking the photos below, I ran across my MG3 stash and still doubt open frame reels will ever become my favorites.

Nevertheless, it was a no brainer yesterday morning when I stumbled upon an NIB Martin Strata MZ 56 at a local liquidator that sources from throughout the nation. It must have been in stock at the original retailer for at least 15 years; the original sticker and price, 74.99, is still on the box. I took it home and shot the first photo showing the factory grease.

Don't know if the LM and Strata reels were simultaneous or successive in production. Essentially the same reel, but with minor cosmetic differences and component variations. The Stratas have a longer winding knob with concave finger panels rather than the tubular knob (which I prefer to any form of contoured handle) of the LMs, easily seen in the last photo. They also have a narrower palming rim and thus slightly wider spool. I haven't had the lines off my LMs in several years, but I think the Stratas have a smaller diameter arbor. A nice quality touch is the bronze bushing in the spindle-way on the Strata/MZs. The LMs don't have that but are amply durable like most other Martins without the bushing As with many of Martin's evolutionary designs, the Strata spindle is larger in diameter than that of the LMs, so the spools do not interchange.

You can see the brand new MZ56 in the photos, along with others for comparison--a couple of LM 56 reels and an NIB Strata/MZ 34, same diameter and narrower spool than the 56 models. That is a fine reel, too, sized for WF lines according to contemporary practice; I don't use WFs much, and 4 weights even less, so I haven't gotten around to loading and fishing it yet. I almost loaded it with a WF 4 just the other day, but as usual stuck with DT 5 on another reel.

As for the the new-to-me larger Strata 56, after the "NIB" photo, I immediately loaded it with a WF 5/6 and took it fishing last night. The fishing was slow, I was utterly incompetent, being fatigued from a long trip this week, and tied such a p-poor knot in failing light that a chub pig-tailed it on me and got away. Good thing the one big brown I saw feeding didn't take that fly or I'd have been disgusted with myself instead of chuckling. The reel is very good, and not even the contoured knob bothered me after that chub got off. I'll probably take that line off, though, and see if I can get enough backing on it with a DT 5.

Last edited by whrlpool on 19 Jul 2011, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

New Topic Add Reply