It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 May 2007, 12:05 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hi just picked up what appears to be a near mint Black J.W.Young and Sons LTD Pridex. Spool diameter is 3 1/8" and comes out 15/16" ID and 1" OD on the Width. on the reel case above the left hand pawl stamped 4/64. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew if this particular reel came with a chromed line guide like the Beaudex Models I have. I have seen some pictures of the reel with same type chromed heavy wire line guide. Right now its set up plain like the Condex in the picture for this section. Also along the same line does anyone know where the correct heavy chromed wire line guide could be purchased these days. Thank.
Richard

Post 06 May 2007, 15:00 • #2 
Piscator
before 1959, only the Beaudex had a line guard - the square one.
After 1959 both reels were reversible, and the clip line guard was standard on the Beaudex and was available as add-on part for a Pridex.

I have seen many people asking for these, but never seen one offered for sale.

like a dummy I let a bundle of these get by on eBay last month

I will keep my eyes open for the square ones - I can drill and tap the pillar to install it in either RH or LH.

Post 07 May 2007, 17:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, thats what I was sort of afraid of. I have the same old Beadudex you do I think, gonna use it on a big bamboo rod, but my slightly smaller Pridex would be perfect for a rod Im building. Too bad we cant buy the chromed line guide, oh well, at least its fun to wish for!
I have some pictures of some Pridex reels from the early to mid sixties that have the guide from Conolon, but none of my info shows it on Young sold reels.
Richard

New Topic Add Reply