It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:05

New Topic Add Reply
Speedex?
Post 13 May 2007, 03:52 • #1 
Guide
Hi Bulldog,

On an outing this weekend Andy and I came across a Shakespeare speedex reel in a fishing store. Needless to say, I asked to buy it but the curmudgeon would only let me look it over - NFS. This reel looked just like a Youngs reel. Is there a JW Young analog to this one? Could you tell the group anything about that model?

thanks,

Joshua

Speedex?
Post 13 May 2007, 04:56 • #2 
Administrator
The Speedex is readily available on eBay for around $40-50. Patience will get you a couple. Usually the paint is scratched and the reel looks scruffy, but the reel is perfectly functional AFTER you give it the Bulldog cleaning/lubrication treatment.

There are narrow spool (6.1 ounces) and wide spool (6.5 ounces) versions of the reel. The wide spool has half again the capacity of the narrow spool reel.

I would rather have a cheap, scruffy fishing reel than a museum piece I am afraid to fish with.

Tom

Speedex?
Post 13 May 2007, 05:36 • #3 
Piscator
yes, the reel is made by JW Young.
Shakespeare acquired Topp Tackle including BFR and JW Young in 1965.
They are very good multipliers.
This is a little bit later Young multiplier (after Shakespeare was out of the picture) a model 1505

this is the reel I was fishing for all these white bass this spring. Very handy because you need long casts, and they follow a long way, often not taking the fly until they're at your feet. then you have 70' of line to get on the reel. It take it all up in about 3 to 4 seconds.
these are all little males, btw - I always release the females and big males.

sorry I don't have an actual photo of a speedex.
Instead of the later click-pawl above, it has the venerable Young Beaudex click pawl similar to the one below:

Speedex?
Post 14 May 2007, 00:48 • #4 
Guide
Thanks Gentlemen.

New Topic Add Reply