It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:05

New Topic Add Reply
Medalist Drag
Post 11 May 2007, 16:20 • #1 
Guide
I am not nearly into fly reels as much as most of you and I am content with my meadalists and okuma reels. I do wish my meadalists had a better drag though. Is there anything I can do to improve the drag? I know P onefoot makes parts for meadalists. Do they make anything to improve or replace he drag system?

Thanks,
Peter

Medalist Drag
Post 11 May 2007, 21:22 • #2 
Emeritus
Other than replacing the drag plate with the machined Pfoot part, the drag on a Medalist is pretty much set as is. I've taken stripers, bluefish, redfish and quite a few spotted dogfish on my 1495's and never had a failure. It's not the most impressive bit of machining, but the Medalists are functionally fine in stock form. Don't sweat the drag unless you're thinking about fishing fat alberts or bones.

BTW, the One Pfoot company is temporarily (hopefully) out of busness due to health probs with the owner. I'm not sure what parts availability is like.

Joe C.

Medalist Drag
Post 11 May 2007, 21:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I agree, the Pflueger drag is hard to improve beyond its stock performance characteristics. It is fairly easy to whack out, though, after extensive use, through misuse or incorrect reassembly. So at the very least, assuming you have an owner's manual, inspect all the parts and their positions. The spring will often ride out of place so it doesn't pressure the drag shoe evenly. Either plunger (on the spool or frame-mounted under the drag plate) could be sticky. The frame-mounted plunger has a bevel that could be pointing the wrong direction for your preferred winding direction. There could be grit under the drag plate, or frayed spots on its ramps or circumference, which are easily cleaned up with a razor blade or pen knife. Make sure this stuff is as should be and clean; then relubricate. A tiny drop of fine machine oil is all that's needed.

Medalist Drag
Post 13 May 2007, 03:39 • #4 
Guide
Thanks guys for the help. I think I may have to invest in a little bit better reel, but I dont want to shell out a lot of cash. I am going to be fishing down in Clearwater Fl. in a week. I doubt I would hook into any big tarpon but I guess even a small one might school me on a Medalist 1495. Shop owner by me has a Landex and a SA System 2. Any suggetions on reels? I'll have to see what else he has.

Thanks,
Peter

Medalist Drag
Post 13 May 2007, 04:45 • #5 
Sport
You might not want to do this to a US made medalist but. ..
In Lefty's books "Fly Fishing in Salt Water" and "Advanced Fly Fishing Techniques" he talks about modifying a medalist for a better drag by cutting a large slot in the back plate of the reel. As you hold the reel bottom you can slip your fingers into this slot and pressure the spool.
I've done this to a couple of my imported medalists and it works very well. This finger drag system is infinitly ajustable and I've landed some decent saltwater fish with these reels.
Medalists and salt water don't mix all that well so
I now use the system 2 reels in the salt most often.
They're tough as nails (similar to the medalist) and affordable

Medalist Drag
Post 14 May 2007, 16:05 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
SO THAT IS IT! I have an old 1498 that has a big cut-out on the back of the reel, and a leather pad glued into the reel, I can see it now, pressing your fingers against the pad, slowing the run of some screaming tarpon! Mystery solved, thanks Dudley! Will try to get a picture up tomorrow..
Keith

New Topic Add Reply