It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 May 2007, 12:27 • #1 
Administrator

I like the Martin 67A on the rod ... but I also think that a red reel would look great with the blue blank.

Here are my thoughts ... I need a reel that will hold a 7WF line and backing.

South Bend 1190 - Might fall outside of my blue collar price point.

South Bend 1133 or 1144 - Which one for a 7WF?

Bronson Multi-Royal - Will hold a 7WF ... right?

There is another Bronson to look at right?

Thanks in advance.

Post 02 May 2007, 12:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Those sound good to me. If you like the Martin's functionally as a reel (not just its appearance) you might find a Martin-made reel labeled Cortland of the same vintage. You would recognize the ones made by Martin; identical except the spool and backplate were red. I see them more often in the on-off click type, like the Martin 66, but I think they also come up once in a while in the adjustable drag design, 67 size. Here's about what they look like, only this is the on-off click Martin-made reel: cgi.ebay.com/Metal-FLY-FI ... dZViewItem

Cameron, bulldog probably has one to plunk a picture in, but basically, the Martin 65 or 66 uses many of the same components as the 67 except for a much coarser click gear (a dozen teeth or so) and a nonadjustable click that is either on or off by means of a button--the same style click you might see someplace on this board in the little Martin 60, 62, 63. Any of these are about as plain as a fly reel gets. Some of those you named are more sophisticated reels. I'd rather have the adjustable 67 style, which, (I hope I'm remembereing correctly that they were also sold by Cortland) in Cortland will look just like your reel except for the red color scheme.

Post 02 May 2007, 12:55 • #3 
Administrator
Alright ... you are right ... that one goes on the list as well. So this Cortland reel is more like the Martin Model 66?

Post 02 May 2007, 14:57 • #4 
Administrator
I like the look of the black reel because of the black rod fittings.

If you REALLY want a custom look, disassemble the Martin reel. Bring the two large, aluminum rings and the aluminum latch cover to a shop and have them re-anodized in a matching blue color. Leave the back plate and the spool black (they are painted surfaces).

I know it can be done, but I have no idea on the cost.

Ron, any guesses?

Tom

Post 02 May 2007, 15:25 • #5 
Piscator
probably cheaper to have them powder coated.

Post 02 May 2007, 23:25 • #6 
Administrator
Great suggestions. I would really like to keep my 67A in the original condition. Even though it is just a clicker, the above mentioned Cortland reel is pretty sharp.

I have this wierd "sickness" of wanting a reel for each rod that I have. I know that this forum is NOT the place the be rehabed of this condition ... ha.

Post 03 May 2007, 00:24 • #7 
Piscator
I very likey have 3 reels for each rod, not necessarily assigned as such, but I always go out with 2 to 3 reels, a floating, sinking and maybe an alternate line (which can be either floating or sinking).

Post 03 May 2007, 00:46 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That rod is sweet. Nice condition. I can see why you had to buy it. I have been fishing an 8' 6wt dry fly action recently and love the way it casts.

Post 03 May 2007, 00:58 • #9 
Administrator
Yeah Bulldog ... you only have made my condition worse. Ha.

Jeffsod ... there has been discussion that these Two Star rods need more guides ... and they most likely do. For the local warmwater pond fishing that I do ... it won't matter to much. I thought that the rod would look neat in photographs.

Bulldog ... is the Quantum Hot Sauce very hard to find? I stopped at our local ACE Hardware store this morning and they had never heard of the stuff before. I am going to try Sportsman's Warehouse later this week or weekend. I did pick up a silicone cloth. I am slowly putting my kit together. Soon I'll have a reel cleaning morning and get all these reels I've collected cleaned up.

Post 03 May 2007, 01:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The Quantum Hot sauce is not something you will find in a hardware store. It is a specialty item you will probably have to order online unless you have a well stocked tackle shop or fishing outfitter nearby.

Post 03 May 2007, 01:50 • #11 
Administrator
Our ACE Hardware is pretty well stocked in fishing and hunting. It was worth a try.

I just called Sportsman's Warehouse and they have it. Great.

Post 03 May 2007, 02:05 • #12 
Administrator
I find it at Cabelas and Bass Pro. The Hot Sauce is pricey, but it is worth it. One tube of grease goes a long way. The bottle of oil goes even further.

Any "new" reel I receive gets the full treatment. It the reel is actually new, I remove the factory lubricant and replace it with Quantum. If the reel is used, I pull the old line (if it's in good shape I weigh it to figure out the line weight). I remove the old backing (and keep if it's in good shape). Then I scrub out the old gunk, blow the reel dry with an air compressor, and relubricate with Quantum.

Most new reels have gobs of factory lubricant that oozes out everywhere. A little Quantum lubricates better and doesn't ooze.

Tom

Tip for using the Hot Sauce oil. The bottle comes with an "applicator nozzle". Don't use it - it dispenses too much oil. There is also a red plastic plug in the bottle cap. Remove the red plug and insert a stout pin. Put the plug back in the bottle cap. Use the pin to apply just a little oil where you need it.

Post 03 May 2007, 02:10 • #13 
Piscator
I bought a vintage oiler with a screw tight nozzle and keep my Hot Sauce Lube (the light oil) in that.

p.s. - I really like the looks of the M 67A on that rod, Cameron - as is.

Post 03 May 2007, 22:24 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Being a Pflueger guy (angler of the male gender) almost from birth, I long believed that satin black with alu accents was the one true color. When my grandfather died, I was shocked to discover (he was a discrete and private man) that he also had an Ocean City 35 and a Sears, both on-off click reels. The Sears was red, so I immediately gave that to my brother, (not a sissy by any means, but a kinder gentler guy than I am), but I kept the satin black OC. At the dawn of the multicultural era in the seventies, a man (a retired Marine) I respected rocked my world with his gray (battleship gray) Martins. I had to have one, and for a while gray was the one true color. Gradually, I have gotten used to diversity. Bulldog had the best looking red reel I ever saw. I think he sold it but still has the photo. A great color, but not the one true color because in the new age, we know that all colors are good colors. So anyway, I never paid any attention to color matches because, like socks, gray and black go with anything. But now I play with colors just like the rest of the world. If you have a glass rod intended mostly for panfish or bass, then trying some automatics opens up a new world of color schemes. From the sultry south to the austere north, you can find a color to match the angling culture, your mood, or your rod. Garcia made some gaudy automatics--well all automatics are gaudy, except the conservative gray and black Martin 81s which, being a thing of the past--I have two-- are not shown in the photo. Instead, the photo shows a couple other automatics: a red-edged Martin and an alu-powder blue. In the next fly reel marketing era, we will have nature-derived names for these hues, like rose, lilac, lupine, mica, shad-roe, salmon, mountain laurel, apple blossom, melon, lime, coral, avocado, salsa, and pesto. "Sunset" could work, too, but it's already over for "blue-sky." Then I had to put in a Gladding-South Bend multiplier in burgundy red (Hellsgate) about as handsome as they come. The other multiplier is from the same maker, but was beat up when I got it, in that miserable, down in the mouth, dark leaden gray that only an Englishman would love. So I painted it, and this is my last point. There's not much harm in painting working class reels to your liking. Some, like the Martin 67, were painted to begin with. Get a beat up spare for $15 or $20 off eBay and spray away to your heart's content. Then coat them with clear enamel or polyurethane. That's what I did with the MG 7 in the photo which, if you saw it bent and scratched when I got it, you would think was ready for the trash. Having nothing to lose, I did a quick and sloppy job. Nevertheless, the second time I used it, a guy asked me which model Hardy it was. "Oh, it's a PMH," I said. He nodded knowingly, but I don't think he really knew that model designation (Poor Man's Hardy).

Post 03 May 2007, 23:03 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Bingo on the red automatics:
cgi.ebay.com/Martin-Autom ... dZViewItem

cgi.ebay.com/MARTIN-autom ... dZViewItem

cgi.ebay.com/Martin-39A-a ... dZViewItem

I put three in so you can see the Martin red color, but the 81 is probably the best buy.

Post 04 May 2007, 00:02 • #16 
Piscator
(*psst* Cameron, talk him out of that red Gladding - would be a blast on the rod and great with a 7wt. )

Post 05 May 2007, 00:19 • #17 
Administrator
Great suggestions ... thank you all. After fishing this rod yesterday I am really liking the Martin 67A on it. So there may not be a rush to change things up.

The idea of a automatic is interesting. I don't have an auto reel in my collection and this rod would be the one to do it with.

Bulldog ... the Glading is a pretty sweet looking reel. How often do those show up on eBay in good condition?

Post 05 May 2007, 01:51 • #18 
Piscator
not very - you would have to set yourself up a Gear Fly search

Post 05 May 2007, 02:05 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
maybe you can find one of these. OCEAN CITY # 90.

It is actually left hand wind. i flipped the photo.

Post 06 May 2007, 14:39 • #20 
Administrator
Well ... the search is seemingly over for now. Whrlpool messaged me about a South Bend 1133 with a Buy It Now for $15. Can't beat that price for a really good looking reel. I cleaned my 1155 last night and today ... and these reels are built like tanks.

Check it out: 160114282739

I won't have any problem getting a 7WF line and backing on this ... right?

I am not ruling out also finding a auto reel for this rod in the future.

Post 06 May 2007, 15:06 • #21 
Administrator
Cameron,

When you clean up the 1133, please post some photos of the interior. I've had an 1122 for years, but it has only a simply clicker - no real drag.

I have no clue on the line capacity. You can always cut down the running line on a WF line to get more backing capacity. Or use lower test backing - say #12 or #15 instead of the standard #20.

Tom

Post 08 May 2007, 17:42 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
nice catch cameron. looks just like mine.

Post 14 May 2007, 06:10 • #23 
Guide
Cameron - I have a Cortland reel that is clearly made by Martin and just like the one in your picture except the spool is red not black.
It's in good condition, not as nice as what you show.
I can take a picture if you're interested.
-Vinnie in Juneau

Post 14 May 2007, 16:09 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
An interesting reel in a dark metalic red or perhaps Garnet red would be the Garcia Kingfisher GK-44, this was a late entry into the Garcia lineup around 1975 or 76 being made in Japan as a Hardy Clone, on the inside it looks alot like a Diawa made reel for Garcia. The GK-44 was a 7/8wt and the GK-42 was a 5/6wt. Both are right/left retrieve and have a great adjustable drag. The color is a baked on paint similiar to todays powder coating, the two I have I was lucking enough to get as near new condition and work and look pefect. You can generally pick up a nice used one on eBay for under $30 plus shipping, unless its new in the box, then its a collectors item of sorts. It would be a nice red for your rod though.
Richard

Post 14 May 2007, 22:41 • #25 
Administrator
mvinsel ... thanks for the offer ... but I am taking a break from reel/rod purchases until the "allowence" coffers have filled up again. I've just had to many boxes showing up at the door step over the past month or so, and the wife is getting suspicious ...

Also I kind of feel that my collecting is going in ten different directions. I want to take a bit of time and narrow down exactly what I am looking for.

I have a nice South Bend 1133 en route which should work on this rod ... but after a week and a half of waiting for it neither I or the eBay sender knows where it is at. I suspect since it was an insured package, and we aren't home during the day, that it is sitting at the local Post Office.

Also, Bulldog sent me the Martin 67SSA that arrived yesterday and it may find a home on this rod before it is all said and done if a red reel doesn't work out.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and offers ...

New Topic Add Reply