It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 May 2007, 00:48 • #1 
Administrator
In the past week two reels have arrived that can be used on the Garcia Conolon blue rod and I thought it might be fun to throw a poll up here since all of you were so helpful with suggestions along the way.

Shown below are the three reels on the blue seven weight Garcia Conolon. I was convinced that a red reel would do it for me ... but I am really liking the Martin 67SSA now.

Let me know what you think.

Post 16 May 2007, 01:08 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think you need a lighter background to distinguish the reels better. But am leaning to the top one.

Post 16 May 2007, 01:33 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
If it were me, I would use them all, as each would have a different line type installed. For appearance alone, the 67, then the 67 SS, then the South Bend. It looks like that reel is in great condition. If looks come first, I bet it would look sharp on a typical reddish-brown toned fiberglass rod. I had a Montague fiberglass bought new in the 60s, stolen a few years ago, that was orange with red trim. I used mostly Pfluegers and Martins on it, but I'd have been stylin' big-time with that SB.

Post 16 May 2007, 04:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Either of the Martins is OK. Red with blue is always out of place in my book.

Post 16 May 2007, 05:22 • #5 
Master Guide
I'd agree. I'd consider a weight forward on one of the Martins & a sink tip on the other.

Post 16 May 2007, 05:48 • #6 
Administrator
Yeah ... the photographs are a little dark ... sorry ... I don't have a Bulldog'esque setup down here.

The Martin 67A may end up seeing double duty since this reel is also on my seven weight Heddon #8385.

On the Garcia Conolon there are some red decals which jive with the red of the South Bend ... but I'm sure it is enough to keep it there.

whrlpool ... the South Bend 1133 is in pristine condition and I am going to keep it around for another rod in the future.

Post 16 May 2007, 09:52 • #7 
Piscator
yep, both the Martins - one for floater and the other for T130 (with a whole lotta 30-lb. backing).

Post 16 May 2007, 12:33 • #8 
Guide
South Bend all the way!

That would be the most patriotic rig I ever saw. It is the Sanjaya of reels. So bad, its great. You just need a white triangle taper wulff line.

Hooray for the red white & blue for a bass may be somebody's mother ...

Or something like that.

Mudd

Post 16 May 2007, 22:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If I remember right, this whole thing started out with a rod/reel combo to be used for warmwater species in a farm pond. This is where gaudy outfits shine, so be sure to treasure that red reel. When you consider that Abel now makes high dollar reels that look like somebody spilled paint on them, you can see that it's not far out anymore; why, a man could even take one trout fishing, although I'd stay off classic eastern waters, which are haunted by the tastes of Englishman. You know, I have a 1969 Old Town Casco Bay fiberglass canoe--a design that won several awards for materials innovation back then. They came in a few colors, but mine is red (with the wide, rolled white gunwales that make it so strong and stable as a platform, a great fishing canoe). I used it in an Adirondack trout pond or two, and NY being the kind of progressive state that later was to elect Hilary Clinton, it went undetected. I started fishing with it on Maine waters in 1975, and I doubt back then that Maine had even repealed the law that required canoes to be dark green. In less cosmopolitan venues, like the West Branch Penobscot, it got long looks and people moved away, which gave me more fishing room, but nobody called the warden. I dasn't take it on the Allagash, though. We went in a dark green Mad River with ash gunwales. I refinished the Old Town after being half smashed (the canoe) on the upper Hudson in NY. I could have changed the color, but kept it red. Today, I have an game warden hunting friend who would hop right in that red canoe. I could drift it down any Maine river without drawing a second glance, but since it's too heavy for me to lug anymore, I use the classic green Mad River. So you can see that there is going to be a fly rod and fishing situation entirely fitting and proper for a red reel, but keep a traditional color handy.

Post 16 May 2007, 23:40 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I picked the 67SSA because of the lines. I think it balances with the wraps and lines best of all. If you watch Ebay for the Ocean City reels; they made a blue anodized reel that would match-up with the blue on your reel seat nicely ... :evil -:lol

Post 17 May 2007, 00:52 • #11 
Administrator
whrlpool ... the things you write are quite witty. I laughed this morning. I was thinking about taking a red reel up to Maine this fall ... but I may rethink that choice. It may clash with the tweed ... ha.

The Martin 67SSA is pulling out in front ... and I am agreeing with that. The Martin 67A for the Heddon ... and the 67SSA on the Garcia Conolon ... happy happy home ...

The more I look at the South Bend 1133 on this rod I am thinking it is a little small both in looks and capacity with backing and line. I may have to complete the SB family with a 1122 and a 1144 as time goes on. I think an 1144 would be a better size for this rod.

Post 17 May 2007, 04:38 • #12 
Guide
how about a blue one:

Regards,

Bob
Fly Supplies
aflyshop.com

Post 17 May 2007, 05:08 • #13 
Administrator
Bob,

IS your reel a South Bend, a Shakespeare, or something else?

I have a South Bend 1100 with the exact same layout - except in red. And MuddlerOH is selling two Shakespeares that are green. But I've never seen a blue one before.

Tom

Post 17 May 2007, 10:33 • #14 
Piscator
blue is Kalamazoo (it's an Empress, which is the same reel as a Shakespeare AuSable)

Post 17 May 2007, 12:06 • #15 
Sport
How about a REALLY REALLY over the top patriotic reel ... the blue in the Abel might be a little dark though ...

Of the three above, I really like the 67SSA, it just looks "right" ;)

Mark B

aka turtledoc
aka Chum Angler

"Never Underestimate the Tenacity of an Angry Chum! "

Post 18 May 2007, 00:03 • #16 
Administrator
BCJ ... you are right ... the Martin 67SSA does just look right.

We're in a dead heat here folks ... the Martins are battling it out ... nine votes each.

That Abel reel is a LOT over the top. I like some of the fish skin inspired reels ... though I don't know if I would actually buy one.

Post 20 May 2007, 13:31 • #17 
Sport
67A for me ... I tend to like silver colored reels. Lots of good choices you have.

Post 23 May 2007, 00:53 • #18 
Master Guide
Here's one to consider.
The Martin 67A look - but in red.

cgi.ebay.com/CORTLAND-FLY ... dZViewItem

Post 23 May 2007, 02:02 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
You had me excited for a bit, and I wondered how I missed it, because I'd have been all over it like a fly on a potato salad. Alas, that is a Martin USA reel for Cortland, but based on the simpler (Model 66 or 65) on-off, non-adjustable click reel with a much coarser click gear. (compare MARTIN 65 SINGLE ACTION FLY FISHING REEL Item number: 250116 ). These are perfectly good utility reels, and share many components with the 67 series, but the click is not as refined. The key to recognizing the 67s is the rivets on the backplate that hold the drag adjustment mechanism, the knurled rotary adjustment knob, and the screw-mounted spindle.

Post 23 May 2007, 03:00 • #20 
Master Guide
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure it was a 67A, but it definately has a "67A look" to it.

This is the second time that I have been enlightened by a member pointing-out the pattern of rivets on the backplate. I recall Bulldog posted an astute observation during a discussion of foreign bakelite reels (if I am remembering correctly).

What do you think about starting a thread detailing photos of backplates wth descriptions of the pattern of rivets and what that pattern tells you about the mechanics of the reel?

I'm still relatively new to this humble field and am always grateful for the expert commentary consistently provided by the members of this forum.

New Topic Add Reply