It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:16

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Apr 2007, 09:50 • #1 
Administrator
I picked up a new China made Pflueger Medalist reel awhile back to put on the seven weight Heddon Pal Pro Weight and I am just not that happy with it. They are a solid made reel ... but lack the vintage of the old Medalists. And I have something against something that "USED" to be made in the U.S.A. and is now made overseas.

Other than Medalists ... who are a few other makers of good working class reels? Bronson's look pretty interesting on eBay ... and don't sell for to much. I am looking for click and pawl reels that typically sell on eBay in good condition for around $30 or so.

Make and model would be helpful for eBay searches.

Thank you in advance.

Post 05 Apr 2007, 10:11 • #2 
Piscator
Martin M67A.

Post 05 Apr 2007, 10:24 • #3 
Piscator
I'll add one. Arguably the best American Blue Collar fly reel.
Heddon 125 Imperial.

the fine-toothed drag gear also makes for one of the sweetest-sounding reels ever made.
I bought two of these for $65-70 but (and have since sold both) but, unfortunately, they now bid well over $100 - so maybe back to the Martin.

The Shakespeare Russell has a good click-pawl, as well, but is prone to spindle wear.

Post 05 Apr 2007, 10:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Martin MG-3 and MG-7 are some of my favorites if you can find one.

paveglass

Post 05 Apr 2007, 11:27 • #5 
This reel is heavy, about the size of a 1494 ... "dual action drag" can stop a Buick.

Post 05 Apr 2007, 12:19 • #6 
Guide
I love the higher end Bronsons -both the Royalist and the Multi-Royal. You can often get a MINT one of either make for less than $35. In fact I just got an absolutely flawless Multi-Royal for $22 on eBay -I really love it.

I also like the South Bend 1133, downside is it is brass, not aluminum (in other words heavier, but more durable), not a click-pawl (it has the same innards as the 1494), and right hand wind only.

My advice is to wait for a reel in very good condition (preferably unfished or with perfect paint) and make sure you bid enough to get it. Both South Bends and Bronsons tend to go for very inexpensive.

Post 05 Apr 2007, 15:26 • #7 
Administrator
Thanks for the suggestions. I do like those red Bronson Multi Royal from some reason as well.

Any reels listed so far NOT convert to right hand retrieve?

Post 05 Apr 2007, 22:48 • #8 
Guide
South Bend (1133 at least) is RHW only, Bronsons are "convertibles". Almost all the vintage reels I've picked up have been set up for RHW, so you're lucky to prefer that.

-Aaron

Post 07 Apr 2007, 00:30 • #9 
Administrator
Which one of the above listed ... Bronson, South Bend, Martin, or other would balance out an eight and a half foot eight weight Garcia Conolon? Suggestions ...

Post 07 Apr 2007, 01:21 • #10 
Master Guide
I'd go with a Martin MG-7, a South Bend 1133, or its slightly bigger brother the 1144. Or an old Medalist 1495.

You can have a look at those reels, including the innards, at p097.ezboard.com/ffibergl ... &stop=180.

Post 07 Apr 2007, 01:26 • #11 
Guide
Quote:
Which one of the above listed ... Bronson, South Bend, Martin, or other would balance out an eight and a half foot eight weight Garcia Conolon? Suggestions ...

The South Bend 1133 is fairly heavy, being brass and not aluminum, I don't know if all the old South bends are brass. The Bronson Mulkti-Royal is medium range, due to the extra weight added by the gears and such.

-Aaron

Post 07 Apr 2007, 01:33 • #12 
Master Guide
I just got one of those Bronson multis. I haven't weighed it, but I think it's fairly light for a multiplier. My impression is that it's lighter than my White River 456 (Martin MG-7 3 1/2"), which is built sorta like a tank. The Bronson may also be lighter than the SB 1133.

The Bronson may be a touch too light for an 8-weight 8 1/2' Garcia Conolon, which sounds to me like it would probably weigh around 4 1/2 ounces.

Post 07 Apr 2007, 02:15 • #13 
Guide
The 1133 is definitely heavier than the Multi-Royal. If I were to get mugged I'd want a brass reel like that on hand to fend off my assailant, it would sock a wallop! though with the Multiplier I could probably get more whacks in, due to the 1:3 ratio ...

-Aaron

Post 07 Apr 2007, 04:09 • #14 
Administrator
Let me add this ... this rod is pretty heavy for largemouth bass on the family pond, so I'll most likely use this rod for stripers on Lake Murray and the Saluda River, so I am going to need to add a bit of backing especially for fly fishing in the river.

Vintage reels, much like vintage fiberglass rods, are a wonderful hobby ... and both are becoming a continual hit on my bank account!

Post 07 Apr 2007, 04:42 • #15 
Piscator
there's a SB 1155 on eBay - that's a 4" reel. sounds like you may want an SB 1144.
List a wanted on Clark's board and see what you get for replies.

Post 07 Apr 2007, 05:56 • #16 
Administrator
If you are looking for a "weighty" reel, how about a Shakespeare Speedex? They have a firm click pawl drag and about a 2:1 multiplier. And they will hold A LOT of line. They show up fairly often on eBay and can be had for $50 or less.

I try to keep my reels as light as possible. A heavy reel slows everything down when you cast. Try taking the reel off the rod someday when you are lawn casting. The rod will feel out of balance, but the casting action is crisper. I'm not recommending a 3 ounce reel on a bass rod, that would be tiring to cast all day. But realize perfect balance may mean compromises elsewhere.

Tom

Post 07 Apr 2007, 12:44 • #17 
Administrator
Ron ... I might want a 1155 to give me room for extra backing. Those stripers REALLY run in the big water of the Saluda River. I've had a couple of eight pounders take me way into my backing.

I appreciate the replies to this thread. Between this thread and the "click and pawl reel" thread ... I have a ton of options to pair any vintage fiberglass rods that I come across in the future.

Some of you fellows have MUCH deeper pockets than I do ... so it is nice to have a long list of low end reels to search eBay for. There are several reels posted in the "click and pawl reel" thread that are just amazing angling tools of the past.

jgestar ... much like the newly added "Modern Rods" section ... wouldn't it be neat to have a place to outline vintage reel companies and models as well? Just a thought.

Post 07 Apr 2007, 15:02 • #18 
Administrator
Cameron,

Eventually there will be a Classic Rod section also. [Edit - and now there is a Classic Reel section too! - Tom]

If you haven't been there, Ron is a moderator of the Classic Reels forum over on Clark's board. Lots of neat stuff there. But, there isn't a summary section. Perhaps, if one exists elsewhere (ORCA perhaps?), Ron can point us the right way.

Tom

Post 07 Apr 2007, 18:43 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
hey cameron,
a 1495 1/2 would give you plenty of extra space. that'd be my vote, but i'm pflueger biased. if you lean toward the bronson multi-royal, i've got a pretty nice one i never use and would let go of very easily. good luck deciding.
-mike

Post 08 Apr 2007, 02:24 • #20 
Piscator
thanks for vote of confidence, Tom.
We certainly have a Martin fan club going here, and probably have as much information on the click-pawl thread on these reels as is assembled in any one place.
Whirlpool that posts on Clark's board probably has the best collection and most information on these reels of anybody. Martin has been around a long time - their automatics are in the 1890s Wm. Mills catalogs. (Fall and Winter '98 ORCA The Reel News have articles on the autos.)

Cameron, I do have a couple of fine, boxed and unused Martin's that would do your job (not for $30, though).
I have an LL Bean Angler 2, which is an MG-7SS (medium-wide spool) with a matching NIB spare spool. Very large capacity on this reel.
I also have an M77W, which is a salmon-width M67A (this is the one I've never considered parting with ... ).

Post 14 Apr 2007, 15:20 • #21 
Master Guide
Heh Tone if that bronson is still available I would be interested. If I remember right we aren't that far from each other either.
I've been trying to find a reel for my SB 8.5 glass (Bass rod).
That might be the reel for it.

Post 19 Apr 2007, 19:26 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
hey harleydeen,
sent you a pm.

Post 21 Apr 2007, 11:49 • #23 
Sport
Pflueger Progress #1774, the early Brass frame model with counter balance on spool. Works well with all of my 6 and under rods. The extra weight is a plus for wrist and short stroke casting on small streams, acts like a fulcrum to assist with the cast, if you havent tried it you should. Rods that are balanced a little heavy in the butt can be much easier and pleasanter to cast for any cast except the pure classic cast which I find little room for in most stream fishing. Cost $12.00 plus $5.00 shipping on eBay for a total of $17.00 with a Orvis neoprene reel case tossed in the deal. Built like a tank.

Cyrus

Post 27 Apr 2007, 02:17 • #24 
Administrator
Just recieved a South Bend 1155 from Tonemike in the mail ... and what a BEAST of a fly reel. Damn. It is heavy and built like a tank. It balances the Garcia Conolon eight and a half foot eight weight nicely.

This going to be a great rod/reel for any BIG fish trips that I might have coming up.

I am planning on putting together a "Bulldog approved" reel cleaning kit and then attacking a box of fly reels that I've picked up for the past year or so. This reel is going to clean up nicely.

Post 27 Apr 2007, 04:40 • #25 
Piscator
remember - it's painted.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply