It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:56

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 May 2007, 04:44 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Bulldog,

The Young Pridex I bought some time ago (3in X1in) has some issues, and Im not an expert on fixing Young reels. The issue is this I think. At some time the reel took a tumble. As I look at the edge of the case it appears to not be pefectly round, perhaps bounced off a rock or river edge or something. As such the spool has a very slight bind as it rotates. I've carefully looked at everything to come to this conclusion. However I don't want to make matters worse by doing something stupid like trying to pry the case to straighten it. So, do you look at such things and make repairs? or know someone that does. The reel is in great shape otherwise and would be perfect for some rods I have. Its usable as is, but once you've used a Young, or a Hardy for that matter, you get used to things being butter smooth.

Another question that might be a fun project. I have a Shakespeare Omni 44 single action flyreel. Brand new! they were made in Hong Kong several years ago for Kmart. Anyway, when Kmart was closing down many of its stores in the early 2000s I took advantage of some of the 70% off last week sales. This was part of one such.
When I got it home I realized that one of the line guide plates, part no 44-4 was missing. Anyway a long story short I sold most everything else years ago on ebay, but kept this one reel hoping to find the part. In contacting both Kmart and then Shakespeare the part it seems is unavailable.
This would make a great auction item for the forum if the part could be found to bring it back into new mint condition pefect, its a really nice single action flyreel even though its made in Hong Kong.

Richard

Post 18 May 2007, 05:08 • #2 
Piscator
I've been known to use a block of spanish cedar and a moll to move frames around when needed, and have had some good luck with it.
If it's not completely bound up, it sounds promising.
I can take a look at it.

Post 18 May 2007, 05:11 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hi, Ok you can either message me here in the group or email me and let me know where to send it and if you have any ideas about the little Shakespeare as well,
Richard

Post 18 May 2007, 05:24 • #4 
Piscator
Richard, sent you an e-mail

Post 18 May 2007, 05:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
ezbox or email? haven't received it yet? email is ***email address removed***

Post 18 May 2007, 10:57 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I can't quite picture that Shakespeare/K-mart reel, but I would guess that a plate from any number of similar ones would fit or could be modified to fit. Do you have a photo and could you give dimensions (such as the frame diameter). I have a box full of various line guide components, so perhaps I have something which would work and would only cost you my postage rounded up to the nearest 10 cents.

Post 18 May 2007, 11:55 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Whrlpool,

Well the paperwork that comes with it says its a D weight, so it predates the later line sizes. Its brand new, and missing exactly one part. It looks just like a Pflueger Medalist and shares the exact same frame size and weight as the 1495, plate is 3 5/8inch, pillars 13/16in, spool removed is 3in X 7/8in actually (29/32In) and it weighs the same 6 oz as the 1495 is listed as. I have quite a few pictures including the paperwork,

I would like to get the part and get the reel back to pefect condition, then donate it to the board for auction to benifit the board. It really is a smooth reel.

Richard

Post 18 May 2007, 12:56 • #8 
Piscator
It's a Medalist - somebody is bound to have that part - but not me. What's the diameter of the reel, we can equate it to a medalist size and try to find a parts reel.

Post 18 May 2007, 14:04 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe you want a brand new part, and probably its available from Pflueger, ordered by its 1495 part #. That part may be polished stainless, though, whereas on many Pflueger copies, and possibly yours, the part was plated. Your reel may well have been made in the same overseas factory that made Pfluegers. I'm guessing that for a time when Shakespeare acquired Pflueger, they marketed the same reel under both names in the US, the only difference being frame stampings and the latch cover. Then for a while the "Pflueger by Shakespeare" wording was on the latch cover. But noboby accepted the Shakespeare name for a Pflueger product, and that disappeared, too. There were plenty of Pflueger-like knock-offs, but with slight differences in construction. Anyhow, I wouldn't expect your reel to ever be especially valuable, just as it's doubtful the Asian-made Pfluegers will be. So you might want to just use it, say, with a Shakespeare ugly stick if you could find one, a fine old knock-about- heavy line weight fly rod. I guess that's all up to you, but if you want a salvage part, you're probably in business (steel wool usually cleans them up pretty well, too). The reel shown is another Pflueger clone, identical to the 1495 in size, I believe, but I sold my larger Pfluegers so can't compare, except by including the smaller 1494. The parts reel has two lineguard plates, one removed and placed on the ruler. I also have several full chrome plates in the size shown; some clones used these. Anyway, if interested just use my ez message box. For whatever you want, I'd just ask adequate postage for me to send it to you.

Post 18 May 2007, 17:02 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Whrlpool,
Well I measured the one line guide plate I have, like yours on the ruler. Mine center to center for the two post holes is exactly 2 3/8inches. It looks like the one you have pictured is 1/8 inch longer center to center. Ive put an email to both Shakespeare and Pflueger to see if they have any for the new 1495 available. I think the plates on mine are chromed. I'd like to find as near to new as possible. The Reel itself is unused.
Richard

Post 18 May 2007, 17:30 • #11 
Piscator
you can buy a new 1494 for $22 plus shipping from Hook & Hackle. If you wanted, you could either fish it or cannibalize it for your reel, or look for a tired-looking 1494 DA on ebay.

Post 18 May 2007, 23:46 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
That's OK. I'm sorry--I guess while rummaging for parts and photographing I more or less forgot your stated intention for the reel. The part shown is actually a lot better than it appears in the picture and would clean up pretty well with steel wool. Somebody else may be interested to know that I am getting rid of my accumulation of yard-sale parts reels and will often provide a stray part for the cost of postage rounded up; inquire through this board's message function. I think bulldog has the right idea if you are certain of the Pflueger model number/size. That one would be pirated for yours. Then the plate, using a part like mine, would be replaced on the new reel, a good user, back-up, or donation to a local start-a-kid-fly-fishing program. Actually, only one good line guard is needed on the stripping hand side of the reel, so the guard on the reeling hand side could be fabricated easily from a scrap of sheet aluminum or even metallic colored plastic. As Joseph Conrad's narrator Marlowe in Heart of Darkness says, "I don't like work. No man does. But I like to think about all the fine things that could be done." Alternately deeply philosophical and staunchly pragmatic, he is stranded with a "ruined, battered old tinpot of a steamboat" on the Congo River, a boat "that rang under my feet like an empty Huntley and Palmer biscuit tin kicked along the gutter." The boat, he comments, is not very "solid in make, but I had expended enough hard work on her to make me love her." But the Company is about to send him some fancy new equipment that won't in the least improve his prospects of powering the steamboat up the Congo into the heart of darkness. And so he concludes the tour-de-force early in the story: "What I wanted was rivets, by God. Rivets."

Post 19 May 2007, 01:15 • #13 
Piscator
unless I'm mistaken, his reel is also missing the entire drag assembly excepting the tensioner.

Post 19 May 2007, 04:06 • #14 
Administrator
The drag assembly is there, it just doesn't show well in the photo. But, digital cameras capture low level information that a film camera would have lost (and digitals overload with the very bright images that film cameras used to capture).

With a little PhotoShop magic, here is a look inside Richards reel. It's not a beautiful picture, but it appears the drag assembly is there.

Tom

Post 19 May 2007, 04:18 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hay guys thanks for all the help.

Im kind of picky about things I want to donate for an auction to benifit anything, I hate to hear someone is unhappy about an item once they get it.
Ive had this particular reel, as you see it for several years. Hopefully either Shakespeare or Pflueger can come up with that one part for a couple of bucks then I can donate the reel to help the board. Its not worth buying a whole new reel to canablize, but its a nice smooth running brand new reel. Most likely its nearly 20 years old, Im guessing someone brought it back or brought one back with that part missing and some clerk switched reels and put it below in the counter and it set there till that Kmart store closed down and I bought it for. 10 on the dollar.
Hay Tom, busying cleaning out my storage area, have a few more items will email you in ezbox about a Phillipson Im thinking of donating, tell me what you think.

Oh my camera is actually a movie camera I bought for the wife to take pictures of the grandkids with, so you have to excuse the quality of the still pictures it takes, they are ok, but not nearly the quality of my sons digital still camera.

Richard

A PS here, your right wrlpool, it works just great and the line guide plate could be placed on either side depending on r or l had retreive, and the drag works great, really puts a stop to the run if you want too.

Post 19 May 2007, 04:47 • #16 
Piscator
if someone has a current medalist 1494 exploded parts diagram, they should be able to identify the Pflueger part number for you.

Even better, photo it and post it here for the rest of us.

Post 19 May 2007, 08:19 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Bulldog will take a picture later this evening and post it, dont have the Pflueger part number, but its the 1495 size reel. They still make them so pehaps Pflueger will have one for a couple of bucks.
Richard

Post 19 May 2007, 10:58 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
This is the line guide plate I still have, its exactly 2 7/16 inches on the retaining pillar screw hole centers.

Post 20 May 2007, 00:34 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
After a light wipe with Wright's silver polish, and showing the measurement more precisely:

Post 20 May 2007, 04:21 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Whrlpool, you found the perfect part for me, ezinbox me with what you need to ship it plus if you have a spare phillips head pillar screw, Ive taken this thing apart so much this month I have one thats starting to bugger at the tip, message me and if you can take paypal, I have lots of existing funds, and I will give you my mailing address, soon as it get it all back together again Im going to donate it to the site for a donation.
Richard

Post 24 May 2007, 09:57 • #21 
Piscator
Richard, please check your e-mail - I have your Pridex turning - check my pawl questions, and please reply with your contact info. thanks
Ron Mc

Post 24 May 2007, 14:52 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Got your message, cant wait to get my reel home and catch some fish with it, seems like the thing to do!
Richard

Post 24 May 2007, 14:54 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Got the parts today for the Omni they fit perfect, the reel is ready to go for the auction here online for the benifit of the site, somebody is gonna get a minty reel and nearly minty rod for being a good member.
Richard

Post 31 May 2007, 12:48 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Whrlpool your part arrived in time and the reel along with the rod is off to its new member after going to the highest bidder in an auction to benifit the board, thanks again for being so much help.
Richard

Post 31 May 2007, 12:51 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Ron,
Now its a YOUNG I think the previous owner must have dropped it, you really did make it purr again, thanks, looking forward to spooling it up and taking it out with an old Phillipson this weekend.
Richard

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply