It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 May 2007, 13:09 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
For somebody who wants a traditional-contemporary transition reel, the Martin-made Browning Strata series, probably the most refined, highest quality Martin ever produced, are a good choice, especially if you were matching up with a Browning Silaflex rod. The click-pawls are most common, but here's one I'd never seen, apparently based on the brute strong Martin 70 with floating disc drag. The Strata has upgraded machined components and a rim control spool. Quite a reel for the heavier line weights, based on a rugged, proven design that was also the basis for the 72 multiplier loved by Steelheaders. BROWNING MZ278 FLY REEL Item number: 160118498122 I know nothing of the seller and am more or less recognizing some of this from the photo and the somewhat rough description (bulldog may have a point or two to clarify or correct). I have one lowly model 70 as my only remaining heavy-line weight, large capacity reel. I just don't do that kind of fly fishing much anymore or I'd certainly be bidding on this Strata. To compare characteristics, the reel mounted on the rod is a Martin model 70.

Post 21 May 2007, 16:15 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have several of the older Martins of this same design, but made of stampings, none of the small sizes, mine are all 9-12wts, they came on early salmon and such rods, but the drag is bullet proof and the reels function great. So I won this one, purely on the experence with the older stamped Martins.
I will post pictures and let you all know how it stacks up. It will be nice to say We have found a product that is better built and nicer than its parent. Seems things have been going backwards for a very long time. Plus this is the first one to come up in a 7/8 Im aware of, should make a great bass reel on some of my vintage glass, some of the old rods are 9ft and pretty heavy and need a big heavy reel to balance out.
Richard

Post 21 May 2007, 21:30 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I hope I guessed that one out right. I think they retained the proven disc drag, and then have the machined, open cage frame plus rim control. These machined/adonized Martin LMs or Stratas have a high-grade look and feel. I used a Strata click-pawl reel yesterday--sweet--but I really think of it as slightly different, not necessarily better, than the stampings/pillars construction of the 67 type. You are right--the weight of the big disc-drag Martins makes them very useful on heavier line-weight fiberglass rods, which is why I kept my 70 for the 9' glass shown above (from a British Sceptre blank sold by Thomas & Thomas in the mid-seventies). Will be very interested to read your assessment of the large Martin/Strata. It looks to me like maybe the design of the click was changed (as you know, it's just a noise-maker on this reel and performs no drag function; modern types who thought they invented fly-fishing after seeing a movie in the '80s call this a "line out alarm"). I wonder if the click still sounds like a DOHC turbo-four about it throw its cam chain. Probably it has a more refined sound but I don't know if that's a good thing.

Post 04 Jun 2007, 05:35 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Whrlpool, well you were right, the Browning Strata is quite a Martin flyreel. It seems to follow the old Martin Trophy sizes and of course is an updated machined aluminum copy of that same design. While the old Trophy series used sheet metal stampings and wide spools to size up, this model in the MZ78 appears to follow the more modern pattern of a little larger diameter spool and not quite as wide as the previous SD78.
I like the machined aluminum alot, looks are a good 10 vs the machined version which I would give an 8 or 9. Fit of the spool to the frame is excellent, far better than the original SD78. According to the paperwork it was also made as a MZ56 so I will be watching for that one as well, although as a 5/6 wt and even the listed 3/4 wt are dual-pawl drag systems, and Ive had no experence with either as yet. The larger models starting with this MZ78 are have the legondary Martin Disc Drag System.
Anyway here are a couple of pictures.

Looks like it will make a great reel for medium rods in the 7/8wt 8ft range. Great for Bass, Steelhead and Salmon for sure.
Richard

Post 04 Jun 2007, 09:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, thanks for the update. If I remember , that was a bargain from Ebay, and it looks like it still has the factory grease. Unmistakably Martin in the machined aluminum series with the disc drag that goes way back to the model 70, MG 70, Classic, et al. Maybe that Browning logo plate is a little over the top? A very fine looking reel, rugged for its purpose. Lots of folks today prefer the open cage and rim control spool that were another evolutionary change in this machined reel. Nicest point to me, it looks like they redesigned/upgraded the click mechanism. The click on these has no drag function; it's just a secondary ergonomic signal or what the new-age folks call a "line out alarm." On the older reels the click could be turned on or off--not sure on yours but I'll bet it gives a much crisper sound. The click on the 70s sounds like a pebble in a hubcap, a coarse sound in an otherwise smooth reel. Below, a model 70 showing the identical "floating disc drag" configuration and the earlier click mechanism. Also shown, a dual-arm/pawl Martin LM 5/6 from the same machined series. These are excellent quality, like your larger Browning branded model. The LMs were also labeled for Browning in 5-6 and 3-4 sizes as Strata. I'm sure that somewhere on this board bulldog or I have a photo or two as we both have them.

Post 04 Jun 2007, 12:58 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hows the drag on the 5/6 rated strata with the spring and pawl? I really don't like totally weak drags, when your working the weeds and shoreline for Crappie and Bass during summer a nice adjustable drag helps alot. Yea its the factory grease, I have exactly the same stuff in a couple of in the box Trophy Martins I have in my stash. One never knows when a big heavy reel is gonna be needed that really works and has a drag to turn a 35# king Salmon.
Richard

Post 04 Jun 2007, 21:44 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If you have any of the single-arm/pawl Martins like the 67A, MG 7 or MG3, that's basically the feel of the drag on the dual arm reels, which are designed to be used with only one arm/pawl (the one optimum for the winding direction) engaged. You can engage both for a stiffer drag, but then they are stiffer in wind also. With a palming rim, I find these drags sufficient for most trout fishing; if anything, they have a touch more on the high end than the Hardy style leaf-spring drags. About the time you get to larger reels for 8 line or so, with larger palming rim spools, the click may seem a little weak, but then you have the rim as back-up. If you have large trophy series Martin reels (the single arm click), and find them ok for your use, then the 5/6 or 3/4 size dual arms will be very much to your liking.

Post 07 Jun 2007, 04:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Whrlpool, well I do have a couple of the single spring and pawl models, but luckily I read bulldogs piece on how to either switch out the springs are monkey with them till they feel right, then reharden them to hold the temper. Im gonna be watching at the hardware store and such for suitable spring stock and play with a couple of them to see how successfull I can be at either replacing the coil springs or fitting them and hardening them so I can get a decent drag. I know it can be done, I have several high end reels with similiar drag systems that work fine, they have heavier springs and slightly different designs. If Bulldog says it can be done Im gonna accept it as doable and give it a try.

New Topic Add Reply