It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:45

New Topic Add Reply
Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 03:43 • #1 
Guide
Upon reassembly of my little Martin 63, I inadvertently (stupidly) shuffled the spool retention system--the spring washer (curved) and flat washer. How are these to be oriented? Which seats against the spool and which against the retaining screw? How is the spring washer to be positioned, curved edges toward the spool or toward the retaining screw? I have admiration for these little "tuna cans." When you think about it, they are pretty ingenious.

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 03:53 • #2 
Piscator
what's funny, friend, is I have never had a Martin latch apart, so I cannot intelligently answer your question.

whrlpool will see this soon enough ...

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 04:02 • #3 
Guide
Thank you, Bulldog1935. This little reel doesn't have the latch system; it just has the simple coin-slotted retaining screw with the two washers described above. I foozled everything because I forgot how the washers were supposed to go back on the threaded end of the spool shaft.

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 04:09 • #4 
Piscator
(I think that's a 60 or 61 - I believe both 62 and 63 have latches.)

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 04:36 • #5 
Guide
Yes, that's what I thought, too. This reel is something of a mystery. It's stamped "63" and its pre-international box is marked as such. And, it has a funny foot I've not seen before. This foot has an oval opening to allow flush attachment to the curve of the reel body. Weird. Do you know when the Martin boxes began to show the French, or what I call "international" markings?

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 05:56 • #6 
Piscator
I do know the date, but believe it is sometime in the early 70s.
whrlpool probaby knows better than I.

Cameron has a thumbscrew M 60 - he may be able to answer your assembly question.

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 07:05 • #7 
Guide
Thanks. Early '70s sounds right.

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 07:13 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
What kind of a guy actually saves the owner's sheet for a 5 or 10 dollar product? Furthermore, what kind of a guy would know or pretty much figure that this other guy would have saved something like that? On bulldog's hint above, I can't believe I actually located an owner's sheet for the on-off click tuna can Martin reels. To my dismay, this triggered a memory of throwing out the blister pack, so there goes my daughter's second semester college tuition, having shot the value of my 63, which was an SS until I pirated the rim-control spool faceplate and put a regular style one on instead.

Actually, these are just line winders or panfish reels to me. Two years ago, I showed a teenage acquaintance--he was a pretty good hand with a spinning reel--trying fly fishing with an old Martin starter outfit that included a tuna can 63--this kid, I showed him where to toss a black ugly wooly worm into a foamy pocket thick with big brown trout, some closing on 5 pounds. I had already caught several that day and was ready for a different spectacle. After three casts I told him to put it over another foot and the water exploded. It was the first trout he ever hooked on a fly rod, and evidently he didn't know how to get a fish on the reel, or even hand strip one in, which wouldn't have worked too well anyway with a 3 or 4 lb. fish in fast water. Off went the trout steaming down the rapids, the little Martin complaining about it until the trout stopped dead and spun that thing into a tuna can birdsnest. "Pick that line clear," I told him, but the trout decided to rock and roll again, and it didn't look good for the teen when a coil of line tightened his finger into the spool and the fish broke off. He smiled at me and shrugged, knowing he'd still had a thrilling moment and a rare crack at an outsize trout. "You held the rod good," I said, "but I'll have to show you a little more how to handle the line and reel." All in all a pretty good time, better than if I had hooked that fish myself.

Anyhow, other than that field report of Martin history, I don't know that much about the production history, except probably about 1980, the latch reels had a plastic latch cover, and then the reels became "skirted spool," aka palming rim. The coin-screw ones seemed to be around forever.

On your reel, I'm going to guess that the flat washer goes against the spool, and the dished one against the coin screw. I doubt it much matters which side is up, so long as the screw doesn't come off. Put a little plastic wrap over the threads or a dab of rubber cement before you screw it down and it won't come off anyway. For what clues you can derive (felt or leather washers are easy enough to make if you think your reel should have one, but nothing on these reels is very fussy), see the sheets below. Really, so long as the spool spins and the screw doesn't float right off, you're in business.

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 08:06 • #9 
Guide
Great information, whrlpool. And, wonderful story, thank you! Instruction sheet confirms Bulldog1935's opinion about the 63. I must have a real oddball, as mine is roll-marked "63" and its original box is factory marked "Mod 63." However, my reel has the simple coin-slotted screw spool retention arrangment and variant foot. No felt washers, I guess the curved spring washer takes their place on mine. I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you all this weird mounting foot. Very unlike the familiar one in your photos. I suppose I have a short-lived production variation, is all. Oh, it is pre-Tulsa, still New York if that means anything. When did they go to OK?

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 08:32 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I think Tulsa goes with Zebco ownership, and that might have been the company headquarters, but not production site. I forget if the products were still actually made in Mohawk NY or if some of the factory equipment was moved out there. Not sure when that happened, either, as I went a dozen years or so without buying any fly fishing equipment. I think Zebco purchased Martin in the late 80s as I seem to recall the Tulsa address on a USA Made Martin classic which I think I got a bit before 1990.

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 08:45 • #11 
Piscator
here's my paper from a Martin 67SSA with a Mohawk, NY addy
timing is right, because this is an early 80s reel.

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 12:24 • #12 
Administrator
OK ... here are a few photographs of my Martin Model 60. Bulldog ... don't grade my clean up/lube job to harshly ... ha. I'm still learning how to clean up these vintage reels. There looks like a bit to much Hot Sauce to me ... I'll have to fix that.

I am a fan of the tuna can reels for their simplicity ... and then a Model 63 was my first fly reel about twelve year or so ago. I am still surprised at their capacity for being such a little reel in hand.

The breakdown: Reel Frame, Reel Spool, Oiled Felt Washer, Flat Metal Washer, and Screw Latch

Martin 63
Post 06 Jun 2007, 13:42 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Laramie, that's a nice sequence Cameron gave. I think I'd have to make a felt or leather washer like that one, just to say I had one in there. I think I'd use leather, because I have a bunch of that and I don't have any felt dense enough to work right.

As a next day afterthought, I'd guess that a little washer made of sheet cork would also be handy. A person always has to have some sheet cork around. You can get it at craft stores. I like it for winding checks and trim rings on quick repair rod handles, and it always seems handy for something. So does a roll of fiber gasket material, which would be another candidate for this type of washer. That felt washer will retain a little lubricant, but its purpose is probably to snug/shim the spindle and screw cap, taking up end play. That curved spring washer probably does the same thing.

Martin 63
Post 07 Jun 2007, 01:53 • #14 
Guide
I agree, whrlpool. Thank you, Cameron. That's just what I needed. As mentioned, my reel was factory-issued with a curved spring washer in place of the felt (improved design or something?). I'll just position it in the location where the felt would have been. I've gotta say this is just a terrific board. Where else would serious consideration have been given to a a category of reels that in many places would be seen as not worthy of attention? Thank you all, fellas.

New Topic Add Reply