It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:05

New Topic Add Reply
young landex
Post 28 Aug 2007, 10:10 • #1 
Master Guide
Well I am currently working on a switch rod built on a modern glass lamiglas 9' 9wt blank that I have now found all the vintage parts to build. This rod is being built with some creative influence from mark (yuniha). Well like most of my rods I never think which reel do I already have that will work. Well I have been looking for a reel for this and hopefully made a good score with this landex.
landex

Could someone, roof, give me some info on this reel and possibly when it was made. I have been looking at the landex posts and see the different line gaurds and porting and have no clue what I may have purchased.

thanks,
Russell

young landex
Post 28 Aug 2007, 10:27 • #2 
Administrator
I think you STOLE that Landex! It looks to be in very nice condition. More photographs once you get it in your hands.

I am looking forward to seeing the rod project as well.

young landex
Post 28 Aug 2007, 10:35 • #3 
Piscator
you can sometimes find a diamond hidden among the coal

I believe they ended this reel about '62 when Topp Tackle was formed.

They may have continued into '65, but they are definately gone by '68 with the first Shakespeare/Allcocks/Lee/Young catalog.
RHW only

this is a 3-1/2" narrow

close-ups of the AR ratchet

and 3-1/2" MW, which will fit a WF9 with about 80-100 yds backing

young landex
Post 28 Aug 2007, 11:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
i have a 3 3/4 landex. it is a tank ( i say that in a positive light). it holds a lot of line. it is great with fast running fish due to its anti reverse feature. you don't want to touch the winding knob while a fish is running though. i think it will engage the anti reverse pawls (or whatever you call them) and result in a catastrophic event. i have caught many bonito on mine. love that scream.

young landex
Post 28 Aug 2007, 11:52 • #5 
Piscator
if you keep the ratchet lubed with light oil, it works flawlessly, and you can hold the handle while a fish is running.

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 11:54 • #6 
Master Guide
Well I recieved the reel and it is in very good condition. Aside from some rim wear, it does not look like it was used very much. It had old grease that had hardened on it and turned very stiff, but after a cleaning and lube it works perfect and tight. This reel turned out to be the medium wide model and I was kind of hoping for the wide since it would fit my large spey lines but this one fits the bill for the rod I picked it up for.
Russell

Oh, I had the spring for the latch plate go flying while I was assembling the reel after cleaning and thought everything was over. I found it four hours later about five feet from where I thought it was. ha

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 12:14 • #7 
Piscator
great match for the rod!

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 12:16 • #8 
Administrator
Damn RH ... what a great looking reel. I want one now ... even more than I did before. That is definately a diamond.

Oh yeah ... very cool rod as well. We need more photographs of it. That is your Lami build ... right?

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 12:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The photograph stumbled my computer bad loading, but it was worth waiting for. Nice, nice, and very special, Riffling Hitch. Good thing you found that spring, but don't count on it the next time. Perhaps you haven't yet learned the real reason to have spare parts, but you should know this for future tinkering. They are never actually used as spares. If you drop or "spring" a small part, it is luck only to find it, which rarely happens. Instead, get out your spare part and drop or "spring" it exactly the same way. Wherever that one goes, you are sure to have a good indicator of where the first one is. People also do this by removing an identical part from the reel (another spring, say, or another frame screw). Drop that one, and it will be right near the first one. Sometimes you have to do it with another spare or surrogate spare removed from the reel. This is why some Pfluegers don't have that many frame screws left anymore, but the other ones are all in the same place. One guy lost a second rod in a river after trying this same theory, but probably he didn't toss number two in exactly where the first one went in by accident.

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 13:20 • #10 
Master Guide
Cameron, I put some pictures of the lami in progress after my incident in turning the grip on the rod building section.

whrlpool, I took the other approach to finding the spring. I knew that if I dropped something other than the spring, it would land somewhere other than where the spring landed. I kept dropping objects of all sorts other than springs until the only open space of floor was the size and shape of the spring, and there it was. :lol Your way sounds quicker.

-russell

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 13:27 • #11 
Piscator
I can make those springs from piano wire.

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 14:10 • #12 
Emeritus
whrlpool, makes perfect sense to me. I think.

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 14:36 • #13 
Master Guide
Russ, what kind of reel seat is that? looks pretty cool!

young landex
Post 24 Sep 2007, 16:17 • #14 
Administrator
Whrlpool, Whrlpool, Whrlpool! You are going to keep those parts companies in business!

I lost a spring from a camera shutter once. I felt it touch my finger on the way out. I got out the BIG magnet and started "sweeping" the rug. The magnet sucked it up about 5-6 feet away. The magnet works well for spilled hooks also.

Another way to avoid this - disassemble your reels inside a big box. It contains most of the ricochets.

Tom

young landex
Post 26 Sep 2007, 00:52 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Besides a great reel, here we have all-time great comments about finding parts from Riffling Hitch and Jgestar. Actually, I'm hip to the magnet thing. I have a magnet on a small wand for that purpose. However, I can't find the magnet on the shelf where I think I put it. I am guessing it fell off the shelf. Therefore, I plan to try a streamlined version of the Riffling Hitch method, viz, shake everything else off that shelf and the magnet will be where the other stuff is not. Correct? If this works well, I will try the same thing to find a lost valve cover bolt down in the undershrouds of my car. Dropping a second one in there did not work, and I can't use a magnet around the electronic control modules in the engine compartment. So if RH's method works and I dump a whole tray of not-a-bolt stuff in there, I won't have to remove the engine to find the valve cover bolt. Or possibly a spare will turn up when I dump the shelf where the magnet once was.

young landex
Post 26 Sep 2007, 06:16 • #16 
Master Guide
Kimosabe, the reel seat is a featherwheight from the glass era vintage that I picked up with some foul proof guides to finish a couple of rods with.

whrlpool, it sounds like you need to pick up some metal shelving. At least then you would know that the magnet did not fall off and you could just tip the shelves over and the only thing that would not be laying all over the floor would be your magnet.

Tom, I tried the magnet thing also but just kept picking up old fly hooks that had fallen from my tying bench. Well maybe that was a good thing.
-Russell

New Topic Add Reply