It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:38

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: A Young
Post 24 Mar 2012, 09:08 • #101 
Glass Fanatic
That Herter's Rolls is a good one to think of, Ron.

As everyone knows, everything Herter's sold was the world's finest as well as the best in the entire whole wide world. On the Rolls reel, what a mix of English royal finery with midwestern puffery. Herter's did have some great gear. I used to get a lot of stuff from them and still have most of it, but never any of their fly rods and reels.

I seem to recall they had Olympic Pflueger knock-offs and Ocean City-made reels badged for Herter's. These, too, would be globally superior and the greatest on the planet. Somebody with a lot of Herter's stuff could start a discussion from the other direction: Herter's fly tackle by its original maker's name.

I love this coverage of Young reels and look forward to whatever Frank can accomplish in a wiki-style compilation. If only their later years had gone a touch differently--maybe a different buyer/owner--we'd still have that great name in fine fly reels, but aren't they just down to centrepins now?

Post 24 Mar 2012, 09:50 • #102 
Piscator
My initial approach posting on this thread was postwar, just because my brain wants to associate postwar reels with glass and prewar reels with cane. But the thread has its own life, and I'm not in control, nor do I want to be, so I'm OK contributing prewar stuff.

Young couldn't compete with offshore manufacturing by Ross et.al. with their late 90s/naughties line, and unfortunately, their fine inexpensive composite reels never caught on. So they sold the machined parts to JAF and made the decision to close the fly reel line (I believe Garry Mills was the last foreman of the fly reel line). They continue to make benchmade centrepins.

Post 24 Mar 2012, 10:08 • #103 
Master Guide
Not their largest, but close at 4-1/4" for MODARCOM (Modern Arms Company?) but surely the Microdex has to be their smallest at 1-3/8"

Post 24 Mar 2012, 12:25 • #104 
Glass Fanatic
the microdex is really neat. Do people actually use them though?

Post 24 Mar 2012, 12:56 • #105 
Piscator
http://www.jaustinforbes.com/micro.html
JAF sells a rod for them

Post 24 Mar 2012, 13:12 • #106 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
My initial approach posting on this thread was postwar, just because my brain wants to associate postwar reels with glass and prewar reels with cane. But the thread has its own life, and I'm not in control, nor do I want to be, so I'm OK contributing prewar stuff.

Young couldn't compete with offshore manufacturing by Ross et.al. with their late 90s/naughties line, and unfortunately, their fine inexpensive composite reels never caught on. So they sold the machined parts to JAF and made the decision to close the fly reel line (I believe Garry Mills was the last foreman of the fly reel line). They continue to make benchmade centrepins.

Well since this thread has a life of its own, following through on the Forbes and Mills connection - It's hard not to see the Young heritage (just think Jubilee and Revolution - even early aerials) in these new reels, manufactured by Garry Mills at Mill Tackle Company. The Wallace is 3 3/16", has a fixed check and is designed for 3-5 wt. lines. The Wizard is 3 5/8" with an adjustable drag and designed for 5-7 wt. lines. I know, I know, not Young reels but still interesting to see in the context of this thread.

http://www.milltackle.co.uk/

Post 25 Mar 2012, 21:29 • #107 
Guide
whrlpool wrote:
That Herter's Rolls is a good one to think of, Ron.

As everyone knows, everything Herter's sold was the world's finest as well as the best in the entire whole wide world. On the Rolls reel, what a mix of English royal finery with midwestern puffery. Herter's did have some great gear. I used to get a lot of stuff from them and still have most of it, but never any of their fly rods and reels.

I seem to recall they had Olympic Pflueger knock-offs and Ocean City-made reels badged for Herter's. These, too, would be globally superior and the greatest on the planet. Somebody with a lot of Herter's stuff could start a discussion from the other direction: Herter's fly tackle by its original maker's name.

I love this coverage of Young reels and look forward to whatever Frank can accomplish in a wiki-style compilation. If only their later years had gone a touch differently--maybe a different buyer/owner--we'd still have that great name in fine fly reels, but aren't they just down to centrepins now?

I have a Herter's badged reel made by DAM of Germany.

Post 26 Mar 2012, 02:33 • #108 
Sport
Frank Longcast wrote:
Well since this thread has a life of its own, following through on the Forbes and Mills connection - It's hard not to see the Young heritage (just think Jubilee and Revolution - even early aerials) in these new reels, manufactured by Garry Mills at Mill Tackle Company. The Wallace is 3 3/16", has a fixed check and is designed for 3-5 wt. lines. The Wizard is 3 5/8" with an adjustable drag and designed for 5-7 wt. lines. I know, I know, not Young reels but still interesting to see in the context of this thread. [/url]

Garry has also made some limited edition adaptions to the Wizard. This is one of 10 individually named and numbered reels commissioned by our fishing club.

And I had an extra inscription on mine, because it was my birthday when I organised them.

Regards,

Doc

Post 17 Oct 2012, 08:07 • #109 
Glass Fanatic
Here is a Young-made Shakespeare Beaulite in a size I hadn't seen before, more or less a poor man's Battenkill lightweight. I thought it would be "narrow drum" and diameter of the Speedex, Young 1525, or Sage 106 M, but it's smaller. A sweet little reel with the robust Young adjustable click as seen on others of the time, including the Orvis models. Only this one must be from later on (late 70s maybe?) since it has a ported backplate and palming rim spool. Just 4 3/4 oz loaded with line; I think a WF 6 is on it. Slightly different construction, evolving to the pillar/plate style of the 1500 series as opposed to the cast full cage of the Battenkills and others that had the same check configuration. No line guard, an economy on the Shakespeare, probably, and the spool-face side frame ring is plastic riveted to the pillars, protected by the palming rim. Hardly used, but I will take care of that, probably with a WF 5 on it.

Post 18 Oct 2012, 20:15 • #110 
Glass Fanatic
WOW! I love it.

DoctorFly wrote:
Frank Longcast wrote:
Well since this thread has a life of its own, following through on the Forbes and Mills connection - It's hard not to see the Young heritage (just think Jubilee and Revolution - even early aerials) in these new reels, manufactured by Garry Mills at Mill Tackle Company. The Wallace is 3 3/16", has a fixed check and is designed for 3-5 wt. lines. The Wizard is 3 5/8" with an adjustable drag and designed for 5-7 wt. lines. I know, I know, not Young reels but still interesting to see in the context of this thread. [/url]

Garry has also made some limited edition adaptions to the Wizard. This is one of 10 individually named and numbered reels commissioned by our fishing club.

And I had an extra inscription on mine, because it was my birthday when I organised them.

Regards,

Doc

Post 15 Sep 2014, 06:35 • #111 
Sport
Up this tread
I pick this good little reel in plus condition (3 inch)
Is all " smooth surface"
A question in particular for Ron Bulldog to determinate
production date or age

Post 15 Sep 2014, 07:50 • #112 
Piscator
very nice
the theory is this reel was made only 1946-7

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 17 Sep 2014, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Sep 2014, 10:20 • #113 
Glass Fanatic
In line with the original intent of this thread, I do have a question about a line of reels that I was told are Young's but never really confirmed whether this statement is fact. Does anyone know if the Daiwa 800 series is a Young badged under a different name? I have acquired 809's(5-7wt) and the 812 and 813( for two handed rods).The reason I have asked this question is the reels are all marked made in England. They are very much like my Young 1525, 1535, and 1540 but are a little larger and built studier and with a wider range adjustable click/pawl drag. In general these reels are over looked by most, but I have found them to be excellent for Salmon/Steelhead fishing with my glass and two-handed rods.
I have read through this entire thread and am amazed at the information and sharing on this board.
Respectfully rvreclus

Last edited by rvreclus on 16 Sep 2014, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Sep 2014, 10:41 • #114 
Glass Fanatic
Great point about that Daiwa series. I always assumed they were Young-made for the same reason you described, and assumed that Daiwa and Young just worked out the variant frame configuration to suit Daiwa's specs and to differentiate them from stock Youngs. In other cases, as the Sage and LL Bean reels, they were virtually identical except for labeling. The spool latch configurations were different in some, as was the spindle diameter. Other than by observations like yours, I guess I don't know for certain. It will be great if someone does and can provide more details. Just the likelihood that a British maker was supplying a Japanese company would be noteworthy; perhaps this was Daiwa's early stages of getting a foothold in the European market, but I don't know the company history.

I do know they are excellent reels as described. Perhaps the more contoured backplate was a way of assuring equal strength in these ported backplates, as opposed to the flatter, solid blackplate of the Young version.

Post 16 Sep 2014, 12:40 • #115 
Piscator
I don't know the model number, but Daiwa definitely badged some of the Redditch-made 1500-series Young reels.

Post 10 May 2016, 10:20 • #116 
Guide
I've noticed that there is a notch on the edge of the spool back plate on many of the later Young/Shakespeare/Orvis reels shown in this thread. I have an Orvis Multiplier and a Shakespeare Beaulite that also have it. Is there a purpose or a reason for it?
Example in pic below.

Post 10 May 2016, 11:03 • #117 
Glass Fanatic
Yes. It isn't just Youngs that have these; some other makes do as well. This is to enable installing/removing the spool without pinching the fly line against the frame ring. The line is placed in the notch so it clears the frame in the process of installing/removing the spool.

Post 12 May 2016, 07:16 • #118 
Guide
Interesting info Re: the notch. I was just looking at one the other day, wondering the purpose. Makes perfect sense.

Post 12 May 2016, 09:42 • #119 
Guide
Thanks.
I first noticed it on the Beaulite that I recently bought from someone here. At first I thought it was just a mis-punched hole in the spool. Searching for general info on the reel I realized they all had it. Went back and checked the multiplier and saw it there also. I've had that reel for 25+ yrs. and never noticed it.
I can see that it makes sense. Is it mentioned in the instructions at all? I don't have papers for either of mine.

Post 02 Jun 2016, 18:02 • #120 
Glass Fanatic
Too bad I could never get my Photobucket to work.
Well, one of my favorite Young built reels is the Shakespeare "Worcestershire " 2627. To an American, it sounds weird naming a reel after something we associate with sauce. I realize it's a place the sauce was named after and now in my mind it's the place the best ever Shakespeare reel is named after. I have the 3.5" dual click/ pawl model. 5/8" wide and perfect for a 5/6 wt. They also made some in disc drag.
If I could send pics to someone to post, pm me.
BTW, I have a Daiwa 809. There's no doubt in my mind it's made by Young. Another Young with a different name is the Bob Church "Viking ". It's a JW YOUNG 1500 Series reel, but in a muted grayish red color. Another 1500 reel I spot on the e is badged for Mucilin.

Post 02 Jun 2016, 22:29 • #121 
Master Guide
Here are a few photos of scud dog's Worcestershire reel that he spoke about above (pictured on a Barclay 7105).
ImageImage

Post 04 Jun 2016, 08:07 • #122 
Sport
Frank Longcast wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:

Well since this thread has a life of its own, following through on the Forbes and Mills connection - It's hard not to see the Young heritage (just think Jubilee and Revolution - even early aerials) in these new reels, manufactured by Garry Mills at Mill Tackle Company. The Wallace is 3 3/16", has a fixed check and is designed for 3-5 wt. lines. The Wizard is 3 5/8" with an adjustable drag and designed for 5-7 wt. lines. I know, I know, not Young reels but still interesting to see in the context of this thread.

Garry Mills has been making more flyreels too. He recently made me these "Tribute" reels, sold through my "Wm. Salter & Grandson" website.

It's got a 3 3/16" spool and is suitable for 4/5 weights.

If you look at the later Young's reels and Garry's output you can see the connection. And some of Jim Young's old machinery was used it their manufacture.

cheers,
Andy

Post 04 Jun 2016, 09:32 • #123 
Glass Fanatic
That's a stunning reel Andy.
I I've read that Mills Tackle offers bulk discounts. For example; 10 reels would be £195/ $283 USD each. I'm sure it's more once you add an FFR logo and shipping. Just a thought......
I can't help but wonder if we'd have enough interest for 10 reels or if he'd offer an even better deal for 15 or 20 reels.
I realize we have lots of people on this board but I don't know how many people are willing to commit to a $300+ tag.

Post 11 Mar 2017, 19:18 • #124 
Master Guide
To get this thread going again, a 3 in. reel badged for Hunter and Son, Belfast
ImageImageImage

Post 11 Mar 2017, 21:42 • #125 
Piscator
that's a cool label

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next New Topic Add Reply