It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 May 2007, 03:27 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
After Garcia bought Conolon and before Abu released their line of flyreels, Garcia partnered or contracted with Young to sell halmarked Young made Pridex, Beaudex and Landex reels. While I have pictures in the earliest Garcia Fishing annuals, I personally have never seen a Garcia Halmarked Young reel. Have any of the members ever come across one, either with a Garcia engraved halmark or even a Garcia decal added?
Richard

Post 16 May 2007, 09:26 • #2 
Piscator
I have only seen them in Garcia boxes - I have never seen them with a Garcia mark - all the ones I have seen carried the JW Young mark.

Orvis sold them both ways - first as marked JW Young in Orvis boxes - next, as marked Battenkills

Post 16 May 2007, 11:40 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Well you have seen more than I have, I havent even seen one in a box. I have seen one vintage picture in a 1966 Fisherman's Digest that shows the back side of a Beaudex with a common red foil decal "garcia" like on the early transition Mitchell and Abu reels.

Richard

Post 16 May 2007, 12:42 • #4 
Piscator
I could be wrong - sure haven't seen them all

Post 23 May 2007, 00:43 • #5 
Piscator
cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290119652501

just an example on eBay - a Garcia Beaudex boxed reel - only the normal Beaudex shield on the reel.

Post 24 May 2007, 15:45 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
hay Bulldog, saw a Landex with the red Garcia foil decal on the back in the 1963 Fishermans Digest, I love buying and reading vintage fishing liturature.
Would love to see just one picture of a Garcia Young Reel out of and by the box with the Garica decal

Post 16 Aug 2007, 13:57 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Well I finally starting finding some of those early Young made reels for Garcia, featured here is the one that arrived Monday, a mint, unused, never fished, never mounted on a rod Garcia-Young Beaudex, 3 1/2 inch, and yes I've already changed it to LHW and yes I plan on fishing it as well. Its really a great reel, and of course in this condition just needs the factory grease removed, a careful cleaning and then proper modern Lubrication. Hay its been setting in this box for over 30 years, the factory supplied leather pouch is hard from setting, anyone know a proper way to soften the pouch for use?
Hope you like it, the Garcia-Pridex 3 1/2 inch is on its way to me so I will post some pic's of it as well. Now I just need to find a mint Garcia_Landex to complete the series.

Really great looking well made reels.

Post 17 Aug 2007, 00:17 • #8 
Piscator
no offense, but we still haven't seen one with a Garcia mark - the difference is the box.

Post 17 Aug 2007, 01:37 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I may never get off fishing today, but wouldn't I love to have that reel to take, no matter how branded. What a slick design of the adjustable check.

Post 17 Aug 2007, 02:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Bulldog,
your right of course, so far the only one I've ever seen is on the back of a vintage 1963 Fishing Digest, soon as I get it back (loaned out right now) Im gonna take a pic to post. Only difference is I think they used one of those little stick on red foil Garcia stickers on the back.
Who knows, perhaps the Pridex enroute will have the sticker.
The hard one is gonna be the Landex I know, I don't see many of them for sale on Ebay anyway, never have seen one new in the Garcia labeled box with paperwork before.

Hi Whrlpool,
your right too, I've really grown to love the Beaudex design, its consistant from my little 3 in all the way threw the big 4 1/2in I have. The big rod was my dad's he had it on a big 10ft Sharpes Impregnated bamboo 8wt rod we took to Alaska in 61, I remember how that big reel handled some pretty big Salmon too. I've always been impressed by the Beaudex, plus the ones like this one with the wire line guide are easy to switch from RHW to LHW.
Richard

Post 17 Aug 2007, 02:50 • #11 
Piscator
no question there were Landex reels in the Garcia box.

Post 17 Aug 2007, 03:04 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for this and future updates FF4GT. It's great to have such storied history around your vintage tackle, the more so as it evokes memories of your father. My dad didn't fish, although he took me fishing all the time, and we canoed, camped and hiked all over the place. My grandfather at his camp in New Hampshire fueled my interest in fishing, but he was just a hacker with a fly rod, preferring a Pflueger Trump, a baitcasting rod, a lead sinker, and a worm-baited hook used from a Sears boat at dusk into darkness on a muck-bottomed pond for hornpout. I liked to to row the boat out there with him, or wind the rope onto the motor's starter pulley and then duck down when that rope came whipping off. Next to the sound of whirring fly-reel click drag, the whoosh of a pumped up Coleman lantern as used in night fishing is my favorite. We had hornpout and home-made donuts on the weekend, fried on the same outdoor cobblestone fireplace. I take Lipitor now.

Post 17 Aug 2007, 03:34 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Ron,
Think your right at this point, the Young company just shipped reels in boxes to Garcia and they used labels to add the Garcia touch, along with the Garcia Warrantee card. Still it would be nice to find one with the little red Garcia foil sticker like the one in that vintage picture I have. Guess I could just buy a couple of those red Garcia foil stickers but that wouldn't be right. Funny looking at the prices on the box, $9.10 $10 and finally $10.50 I sure would like to buy a couple of cases of those reels and put them away for 50 or 60 years. You figure they were most likely cased 24 to the box, so the wholesale level back then was most likely around $5-6 each, perhaps $150 per case. Not a great sum even by 1963 standards. That would have been less than a weeks pay back then. I dare say 24 brand new Beaudex in the box today is a bit more than most of use make today in a week.

My dad owned an Interstate trucking company back threw the depression era, after he served in WWII and Korea we were pretty much Californians. His background, was hard work, long hours and when time was available he loved to fish for Salmon and Steelhead, occasionally Bass, everything else to him was trashfish. He also liked to Duck hunt. Never was much for Deer hunting though. His family and my mothers (Utah) both had deer camps for each family back then. The Schools would close down for a week during deer season and often 20 or more families would be in each deer camp, with several being nearby as well. Deer hunting was a big thing back then and tags were filled even for the none hunters in the camp. Weather usually turned cold around then and I can remember my Uncles house well, behind the attached garage was a long somewhat narrow sort of attached room, at the top of the exterior wall was a series of screened air vents. They would hang their deer there (below freezing) and the families would all have meat for a big part of the winters. While my extended family in Utah was and is by no means poor, they were very frugal. They raised their own beef and pigs, also had extended gardens for food production. The ladies would can (bottle) everything. I can rarely remember any of them ever going to a store to buy anything they could raise or grow themselves.

My Uncles were great hunters, I was tracking deer before I was 8 years old. I took my first really big deer in the Unitah Mountains at age 11. My dad on the other hand was a great wing shot, ducks and geese were his big thing, and oh my the Salmon we took in Alaska. Back before the 70s can you believe the Trinity River of Northern California was a true run of hugh King Salmon as well, we fished there every year with many over 30 pounds, the steelhead that would tag along for the roe were often monsters too. My dad called that real fishing and I have to agree.

I loaned Joe Cornwall one of my dads old Sharpes 8wts for his upcomming article along with a vintage Phillipson as well.

Post 29 Aug 2007, 22:02 • #14 
Sport
I have a cousin of these, a Shakespeare Beaulite. Guess that doesnt count.

Post 30 Aug 2007, 00:44 • #15 
Piscator
nice reel, certainly a Young-made reel.
The specific question was Young reels sold by Garcia in the 60s, and whether we have ever seen a marked or foil-tagged reel - i.e., more than just the Young reel in the Garcia box.

Post 31 Aug 2007, 08:45 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Hi BD, Well got my in the box Pridex, the little old lady said it was a 3 1/2 inch, turns out its a 3 inch and I love it. Anyway it just dawned on me, dummy me, these gold foil decaled boxes are all Garcia pre 1962 or 1963 at latest, the reels would have never had the silver and red decals, these were of the black and gold decal era, and Ive never seen a picture of a young with that era foil decal added. The article I quoted was from a 1963 Fishing Digest article, most likely a current product, not these older reels Ive fallen into.
Richard

PS will try and take some pics of this latest addition its gonna be a fun reel for one of my longer lighter rods.

Post 31 Aug 2007, 09:26 • #17 
Piscator
a 3" Pridex is a fine thing to have.

Post 31 Aug 2007, 09:35 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Its a mint jewel BD, I have a Beaudex (not Garcia) in gray as well, just waiting for exactly the right rod to marry them both too. True jewels and thats from a guy that owns more YOUNGS than I will ever admit too.

Post 10 Nov 2007, 08:38 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Well finally one more correct reel and box, this time the Pridex, needless to say its gone fishing a few times before I got around to posting the pictures. I've layed it out on top of a 1964 Garcia Conolon Fishing annual, to the open page advertising the Garcia Young line of reels, one more to go, the elusive Landex.

I love the posted prices for 1964, The Beaudex models from 3" to 4" MW ran $22 to $27, the Landex 3 1/2" and 4" MW models were $25 & $30 respectively, and the Pridex 3"-3 3/4" ran from $19 to $20 for the 3 3/4" however the 3 1/2" LW like mine was $22. Man would I like a couple of cases of each today!:eek

Post 10 Nov 2007, 09:13 • #20 
Emeritus
Nice classy reels FFFGT. I love my Orvis branded Battenkill. Congratulations and Good luck finding a nice Landex.

Post 11 Nov 2007, 09:15 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Cofisher,
Thanks I was lucky to find either in the original boxes with paperwork. Never know whats gonna show up on Ebay tomorrow, who knows, perhaps a Garcia boxed Landex.
One good thing that has come out of the rising prices of classic tackle and so many actively on Ebay. The little old ladies with all that tackle in the attic or grandkids that find it in the basement are dragging it out and selling it now. I think quite a bit is not going the way of the yard sale, fea market or Church sale now, but showing up on EBay.
The hunt goes on ;)

Post 16 Mar 2023, 16:35 • #22 
I have one I believe

Post 16 Mar 2023, 21:06 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Zombie thread. I have a Shakespeare Beaudex, and I really miss FlyFish4GoldenTrout's posts.

New Topic Add Reply