It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:11

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Feb 2021, 12:50 • #51 
The photos are great. This is the most thorough description of the procedure I have ever seen. There is one statement in the post that drives me a bit crazy. It involves the operation of the drag on the Medalists that have ratchet drag plates. This mistake was carried over from an article published online entitled An Angler's Guide to the Classic Pflueger Medalist authored by Joe Cornwall. As most of you know this article is a great source for information about these reels, I constantly refer to this myself. I in no way mean to offend anyone. Even me as prefect as Y am have been kown to make a mysteak or two. So here goes. How the drag works: For Right Hand Wind: On retrieve, the ratchet drag plate remains stationary as the spool rotates. The spring-loaded pawl mounted in the spool rides over the detents mounted on the top of the ratchet plate and generates four clicks with each rotation. The spring-loaded pawl mounted in the backplate engages one of the detents on the bottom of the plate and keeps the plate from rotating with the spool. On release (line being pulled out by you or hopefully a big fish), the spool pawl engages one of the detents on the top of the drag plate causing the drag-ratchet plate to rotate with the spool. The bottom pawl rides over the detents on the bottom of the plate and generates eight clicks per rotation. This describes the operation for right-hand retrieve. It means that as line is released the spool could rotate 1/4 turn before the drag is engaged. For left-hand retrieve with the plate bottom side up the spool could rotate no more than 1/8 turn before the drag is engaged. This means that for left-hand retrieve the drag engages twice as fast as for right-hand retrieve. Therefore the need to purchase a drag plate for left-hand retrieve because the drag doesn't engage quickly enough after a fish pulls line out is incorrect. The reversible black nylon plate with 4 detents top, 8 detents bottom should do the job. The bottom pawl serves three functions: 1) to keep the drag plate from moving when line is being retrieved. 2) to make noise as line is being released (hopefully by a fish). 3) to prevent spool overrun if the drag adjustment is too light (in some ways the reel functions like a click pawl reel when the drag adjustment is backed off). This design was and is very innovative, brilliant, and reliable due to its simplicity. But like so many things in life it is misunderstood.

Post 23 Mar 2021, 14:32 • #52 
Sport
Mr. River, very good explanation! By the way, I was not offended. I wish I could remember what I did with my 1495. Tight lines.

Post 30 Aug 2021, 06:51 • #53 
Sport
Just received two "rebuilt" reels (1492DA and 1494DA) back from OnePfoot--perfect in every way. Excellent service

Rick

Post 14 Oct 2021, 17:07 • #54 
Just wanted to stop in and add a note of gratitude for all of the knowledge and wisdom (and photos!) shared here.

Over the last couple of years I've gone from owning one Medalist to 6. 5 of them have Onepfoot reel feet, the 1494s have onepfoot drag/ratchet plates, a couple have new onepfoot metal spool latch covers, and I've been able to convert the 1492s and 1494s to LHW thanks to all of the information in this thread. Dan Hill added a round line guard on my first 1494: that's a favorite on my Orvis Superfine Glass 764. The 1492s take turns on my Barclay Synthesis 368.

I've left the 1930s 1495 alone 'other than' removing the (extensive) corrosion and what was left of the paint. One day that'll be a reel on a 6 or 7 weight streamer rig, when I build it.

I delved into the electrolysis rabbit hole with one of the 1494s that looked like it had been left outside and run over a bunch of times by angry elk. The results were not good on the spool at all. That paint might as well have been welded on. In the end I went after it with a bronze brush at low speed on a dremel and the result on the outward facing surface looks better.

I know that some folks don't care for the stripping/polishing bit, particularly on older reels, and that that may a thorny topic. That's ok, I understand the reticence/aversion. At the end of the day, they look better, fish better, and are loved.

Again, thanks from a grateful forum user.

Last edited by dmlincoln on 15 Oct 2021, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Oct 2021, 20:03 • #55 
Guide
Just one opinion: I really like the look of the paintless reels..very unique.

Post 01 Jun 2022, 11:27 • #56 
May try the paintless as I have one with a lot of patina with paint loss.

Post 18 Feb 2023, 15:50 • #57 
Love my Pflueger Medalist reels. Just can't get enough.

Post 10 Nov 2023, 21:20 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
I just noticed the flyfish ohio site is no longer live. Time to start archiving old posts and sites.

Post 10 Nov 2023, 21:42 • #59 
Master Guide
Oh man sorry to hear that! Learned a ton about Pfluegers on that site!

Post 10 Nov 2023, 22:44 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
Fly Fish Ohio has been gone for a while, maybe a couple of years, the last post in the Facebook page was Mar '21, the FB page never had the real content that the site did. I enjoyed Joe's articles.
I wouldn't know how to archive a site, but I sure wish someone had this site as well as many others that have disappeared.

Post 11 Nov 2023, 02:10 • #61 
Administrator
The Internet Archive (a.k.a. the Wayback Machine) is our friend - https://web.archive.org/web/20210211005 ... hohio.com/

This is an important resource that preserves long gone websites and older versions of current websites. For instance, if a rod company just changed their model line up, but you want info on their glass offerings from 6-7 years ago? Go to the Internet Archive and find a version from a few years back.

Tom

Post 11 Nov 2023, 15:30 • #62 
Sport
Excellent post I’m a medalist fan with quite a few myself and I appreciate all the tips and info!

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply