It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 11:06

Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Click-Pawl Reels
Post 18 Aug 2019, 06:47 • #526 
Sport
Mine is the old work horse, Metalist 1495 1/2, the original model made in Ohio. Takes a lickin and keeps on clickin’....

Post 29 Sep 2019, 10:37 • #527 
Sport
I have several Scientific Angler system 2 reels I use for everything (well made & bombproof) but thought I would try a System 1. Started with a 678, used it on a 4 and a 5 wt rod, worked great! Recently purchased a 456, unfortunately it came thru with a cracked drag gear (the plastic one) found a spool online with a metal gear, bought it and lo & behold it fits perfect. Will work great on my 3 wt. BTW I used some JB Weld on the cracked gear and I am cautiously optimistic that I now also have a usable extra spool. JB seems to be a quality product and it may be stronger than the original gear material, we shall see. Long & short of the story is if you like the clickers look at SA system 1's, relatively inexpensive, well made, and a nice sound ( I know, I know, sound is a subjective thing)

Post 29 Sep 2019, 11:42 • #528 
Guide
wthorpe wrote:
The only clicker I use is a Pflueger Sal Trout 1554, the older version with the "iron cross" cutouts on the back. I just put it to work a few days ago on a Fenwick 786 with a Rio Trout 5wt and about 100 yards of backing.

I hate to quote myself, but there is a mistake in my earlier post: i really put about 30 yards of backing on the 1554 along with the WF 5 wt line. It might actually hold 100 yards but it would be quite tight. I plan to use the reel where I will likely never see the backing again in any event unless it's to change fly lines. If on the other hand i do hook a fish on this aged $25 reel that can get to the backing...well, then i will let you know.

Post 28 Jan 2020, 20:53 • #529 
Islander IR

Post 29 Jan 2020, 10:42 • #530 
Piscator
Here's a tailwater rainbow my buddy caught on his Islander click-pawl and Phillipson EF76.

Post 02 Apr 2020, 08:27 • #531 
My favorite is the Abel Creek series. They are not made anymore but you can find a nice one on eBay for less than $200 if you watch.

Also, older Ross Colorado’s are nice but an odd color.

There is something soothing about the click noise as you strip out line and reel as fast as you can while pulling in a nice McCloud.

Mark

Please review the posting guide about back-to-back posting.

Post 04 Jun 2020, 19:52 • #532 
Sport
The old olympics are great, I agree

Post 09 Jun 2020, 01:32 • #533 
I fish a Ross Colorado LT. I bought two of them one for me little brother and one for me. Sound is classic, 15 parts, American made (nuff said). Reel is incredible and worth the money.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 05:55 • #534 
Piscator
I think after 22 pages, this thread has lost its way.
IMO, tt was never intended to be a voting thread, but an introduction and enlightenment thread, to inform forum members what they might find out there to match up with their old or new glass rods, or maybe even their cane rods.
An information archive - a catalog of sorts - and will admit it had its greatest value when good auction buys could be found on ebay.

IMO, the random voting posts detract from the thread value, obscuring the information in random opinion.
Find something that's not on the thread? Put it on the thread, photos preferred.

Here's a reel often overlooked, almost always under-priced, lightweight, wonderful adjusting in both directions click-pawl, and hasn't been made since the mid-30s.
Meisselbach-Catucci Symploreel. After Bronson bought them out, Allcocks bought the bakelite molds and had JW Young build the reel with their click-pawl and of course their name, the Aerialite.
Either or both reels I mentioned may already be on the thread, but giving an example.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 07:51 • #535 
Sport
I own and have owned them by Orvis, Hardy, and Pflueger and never had one I didn't like but as I look back the J.W. Young reels dollar for dollar are hard to beat. The reel I use most is on a 7'9" bamboo 4/5 wt. rod and it's an Orvis "Battenkill Lightweight Wide" which not surprisingly was made for Orvis by J.W. Young. For a description, it is a 3 1/4" Beaudex M.W. and is I believe the only 3 1/4" version of this reel Young ever produced. It is a handsome reel and very fine mechanically.

Post 09 Jun 2020, 16:26 • #536 
jimwright wrote:
I own and have owned them by Orvis, Hardy, and Pflueger and never had one I didn't like but as I look back the J.W. Young reels dollar for dollar are hard to beat. The reel I use most is on a 7'9" bamboo 4/5 wt. rod and it's an Orvis "Battenkill Lightweight Wide" which not surprisingly was made for Orvis by J.W. Young. For a description, it is a 3 1/4" Beaudex M.W. and is I believe the only 3 1/4" version of this reel Young ever produced. It is a handsome reel and very fine mechanically.

I remember holding your setup at Waddill the other day. It's a fine setup.
Dave.

Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 New Topic Add Reply