Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Click-Pawl Reels
Post 23 Mar 2021, 20:19 • #551 
Glass Fanatic
HUGE score on the CFO Mike. Nice job.

Post 23 Mar 2021, 20:38 • #552 
Sport
Thanks Brian. I had given up then I got an email from a ff shop in Oregon, hell yes! I have DT4F on it that I use on a LL Bean Double L that is about 10 years old. Sings like a diva when a good one is on.

Post 09 Apr 2021, 09:23 • #553 
Master Guide
CFO III gets the job done on a spring float tube lake trout...
(Sorry about the non-'glass rod... it's a TFO BVK 905-4 that's too stiff to use for anything but max distance casts out of the float tubes, so that's when it gets used!)

When I bumped that laker trying to land it with the too-small net I had with me, it took off and made the CFO really sing its wonderful song!

Post 01 May 2021, 09:42 • #554 
Glass Fanatic
I guess I consider myself lucky that there wasn’t an Internet to confuse me when I started out and Hardy was what the shops around me sold. I was far from rich or a sport but I read too many books written by rich sports so I saved up until I could afford the good stuff.

I fished nothing but Hardy click & pawl reels until 20 years later when I bought some Ross Evolutions and Abel Supers to use on my graphite rods.

Excluding those fancy drag reels and the one Medalist I use, I still fish exclusively with click & pawl on my glass & bamboo rods because my primary quarry is trout and they work just fine where I fish.

Because I stick with what works, 95% are Hardy’s (pretty much all of the newer “classic” made in the UK offerings), the discontinued Abel CFO’s and the Saracione Mk IV making up the balance.

I am set for the rest of my life.

Post 01 May 2021, 11:49 • #555 
My favorite click and pawl reel is the CFO reel (Abel made) for small stream fishing...I prefer reels that I can palm for extra drag.

Post 01 May 2021, 21:51 • #556 
Guide
Nice reel dryfly! Been on the hunt for some time, need a green and the limited Topographic CFO.

Post 02 May 2021, 08:10 • #557 
Thanks, jrod....that topographic CFO must be a rare one because I haven't seen one in a long, long time. I too would like one. Wish Orvis would make a CFO with solid face frames and spools...it would be a big seller if they would.

Post 02 May 2021, 20:07 • #558 
Guide
I don’t think they’ll make one sadly. They proved they can build a reel in house with the Mirage and Mirage LT. There’s been plenty of time to put out a CFO, but nothing has been put out. Maybe the next milestone anniversary they’ll hire another firm to put out a batch.

Post 30 May 2021, 11:29 • #559 
Guide
I'm a traditional full-framed, internal spooled, small-arboured reel kind of guy, or at least have been till now. There's no question that large-arbour reels have certain advantages, particularly when matched with longer rods & heavier lines. But, for my short light rods, for 4/5 wt. they didn't seem to make much sense.

I was going to happily live out my life enjoying my vintage click-check & disk-drag standard-arbour reels. After all, aren't eight fly reels enough for one fisherman? (My wife certainly thinks I have too many.)

When in 2016 Ross Reels introduced the Colorado LA click reel, I was mildly interested, but not enough to own one. This year, with a lot of home time, a lot more opportunity to think plus a bit more cash in the wallet, I was ready to give a new "updated" Colorado click LA reel a try.
Last week I ordered the larger 4/5 (3.57" dia.) model in matte black, which arrived this Tuesday. A sculpted semi caged frame, a snap-on snap-off skeletal spool, a bi-directional all metal over run "click", a comfortable handle, what's there not to like? Seems a very light reel at 3.5 oz.
I can't wait to hear this baby "sing" on my ********* 806, with a large rainbow attached to the other end.

The reel is now loaded with a shortened (20m.) S.A. WF5F GPX (5.5) line, + a short 25m. of 30lb. Micron backing. (Played around with different kinds of backing. For this shortened fly line, the reel could only fit 42m. of 20lb. Micron or 60m. of 35lb. Spectra. I did not like how the Spectra handled.)
I've been used to full length (27m) lines with close to 100m of 30lb Micron backing,... so this should be a radical change.

Anyways, here she is:

Post 03 Jul 2021, 21:20 • #560 
Let us know how she does. I'm still using spring and pawl Hardy Marquis reels and an old Battenkill 5/6. I probably wont take the plunge into large arbor. They just dont look right to me and I've never had reason to complain about the old style. I even use them in saltwater for stripers and red drum. Never tried bonefish, permit or taropn but I'm sure it's been done.

Post 08 Jul 2021, 09:01 • #561 
Sport
I've managed to acquire a couple more Hardy Marquis reels to go with the SA Sys 6.

Post 09 Jul 2021, 00:30 • #562 
Guide
Nothing quite like the original Ross Colorado (especially in Colorado)! I have the zero and the two; the added heft balances nicely with fiberglass and longer graphite.

Naturally, I’m a fan of the CFO on my vintage Orvis bamboo (a bit too light, but aesthetics win the day here).

For big game/streamer rods (7 weight and up), I favor the Hardy Marquis…its throaty scream when angry trout grab streamers is pure joy! I just swapped out my Ross Animas S for a Marquis Salmon 2 on my Spey rod.

Post 26 Jul 2021, 07:48 • #563 
Here's one for the vintage Battenkill folks.. Original Orvis Battenkill IV made in England, Single pawl, incredibly light and still smooth after all these years. Couldn't find much info on this model but I like it!!

Post 28 Oct 2021, 16:08 • #564 
Sport
I picked up this old thing today. I think I have a Martin Tuffy rod in the shed that I can put it on. ;)

Post 28 Oct 2021, 16:27 • #565 
Glass Fanatic
Steely1965, what's the diameter on that fine Lady? I love reels with a singular sense of purpose, but don't frown on both way reels either.

Post 28 Oct 2021, 16:54 • #566 
Sport
It's 3 1/4". I know this is a glass forum but it's destined to a 4wt cane rod.

Post 28 Oct 2021, 19:49 • #567 
Glass Fanatic
Ah, a very desirable size imho - cane is perfect! RHW reels on bamboo rods are well, just classic.

Post 02 Nov 2021, 07:24 • #568 

I like the K.P. Morritt´s Intrepid, the predecessor to the Rimfly. A sturdy, die-cast, 3 1/2 inch click/pawl reel. This is one of the earliest models. Production started shortly after WW2 in Surrey.

Post 01 Dec 2021, 22:54 • #569 
I like Abel TR series, the old one. TR2 is my new to go on 5 weight. I use TR3 on 2/3 weight trout spey. (Then os Spey Abel Calssic, Switch and Spey- non ported!)
I like CFO. Just cute.
I even like CFO disc drag- the green ones. As the "disc drag" is more or less (more) I consider them "clicker" and they look nice with Winston green.

Kill me now: I do not like sound of Hardy! Way to much for me! Tractors.
(and I am dead now...)

Post 05 Dec 2021, 16:30 • #570 
Guide
My primary fishing reels are 5 Valentine Single Actions in two sizes.
As far as click-checks are concerned, now I only have three: a much loved Hardy LRH & two Scientific Anglers 50th ann. System #5s.
For a good long period of time I fished with lighter 4/5wt outfits, but my circumstances have since changed & I'm finding myself fishing heavier lines & longer rods.

The new Colorado 4/5 that I showed off so proudly (on this thread) barely could hold a shortened 5wt line, with minimal backing capacity. Despite being light, it just looked too large in diameter & clunky on my ********* 806. Not a bad reel, just disappointing for the money.

For more than three decades my Valentine Single Action #83s have given me excellent service for lines up to a WF7F. But, I still needed classically styled, 3.25" standard arbour, click-check reel. Not for collecting, not as an investment,... just for fishing.

It was either to be the latest Hardy Marquis or the USA-made Douglas Argus. Both reels lack the full frame that I prefer, like most CFOs, Abels, Islanders & so forth, both have palming rims that I'm not too crazy about. Both were/are at about the same price point.

Though I've heard some nays about Argus reels , I'm still giving one of them a go for next season. It's good to support a US maker. Even picked up a spare spool.
Initial look(s), with my armchair engineer's hat securely on, the reel looks like a winner. Good sound in & out (much like an old St. Aidan I used to fish.) A solid, "Martin-like" helical spring click-check system slows down the spool.

Time will tell how well this 3.23" reel performs. 2022 Springtime, that is. A peek inside will follow as time allows.

Post 13 Dec 2021, 17:30 • #571 

My newly acquired Hardy Ocean Prince. Never used before I took this picture.

Post 23 Jan 2022, 15:54 • #572 
Glass Fanatic
SpeyCo - to me the guts are all that matters anyways... get a handful of that different look :

You get to play with the SPRINGS like no other reel on this Earth, and all the settings that you control -- they all work great!

Post 09 Feb 2022, 15:05 • #573 
Guide
Brian S, I do not see a pawl to engage with the Speyco's gear. So how does this work?

Post 05 Mar 2022, 14:44 • #574 
Guide
Maybe not the most valuable, but I love my BFR CFO 123!

Post 08 Mar 2022, 16:41 • #575 

Just got hold of a rare Shakespeare centenary 2600, I was lucky to find an unused one, on a certain auction site. It came in its original presentation box also. Nice click pawl, rose gold in some lights. Very similar to the pflueger supreme. I’ve paired it on my hardy sirrus, and Sunray short head line.

Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next New Topic Add Reply