It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:14

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply
Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Nov 2005, 19:36 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
great pic! we don't post near enough pictures on this site. one day i'll learn to use digital photography and help rectify this. thanks for sharing alec.
-mike

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 15 Nov 2005, 02:32 • #27 
FFR Founder
Thanks Mike - I started a picture thread - lets hope we get some responses! Alec

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 15 Nov 2005, 14:59 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Nice photo Alec.

I'm gonna look into Quantum Hot Sauce. Has anyone heard of Tenacious Oil (or grease)? Curious; any insights on the best way to clean and re-lube? Sounds simple but, as I've discovered some folk have a knack for figuring out a "better" way to do things.
By the way ... my favorite click/pawl is the Islander IR and I like the Hardy Lightweights a lot. Shame to hear the Princess is to become collectible.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 22 Nov 2005, 12:38 • #29 
Sport
Scud,
How is the sound of the Islander IR reel? And can you comment on the tolerances/fit of the reel, i.e. can you detect any spool end play? Is the finish fairly hard?

John

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 22 Nov 2005, 18:27 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
John,
IR sounds fine; handles great; is machined impeccably; the finish is first rate ... hey, it's an Islander. They make good stuff. I like the reel weights better than the Able click-pawls. As I see it, lighter is a +. Got an old Phillipson, get the Able. My favorite feature is the drag and drag settings. The drag can go super soft for light tippets (softer than any Hardy, Young, etc ... ) and can be torked up high as well. I like the drag knob and settings because they're set or "locked". there's no slippage, etc.The only negative is the factory places on lots of grease and I had some go through the inner spool porting onto the backing. Just be sure your reel's not over-greased. Islander should reconsider the inner spool plate's porting. I think it's a small issue vs. the overall reel. Also; I have a Ross Evolution. From a pure technical view, awesome. I've fished no other reel that comes close.. ..I'd take the IR over it though. Click-pawl. Just feels right.
-SD

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 29 Mar 2006, 12:42 • #31 
Emeritus
Alec,
Took your advice and bought a lamiglas stillwater on Ebay. Just got it today. Pretty good reel for $25 plus shipping. I got the 3/4 model. Now I'm on the hunt for the 5/6
Ribs

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 29 Mar 2006, 23:56 • #32 
FFR Founder
Ribs - Nice job! I saw that one with the box and neoprene pouch - brand new! Good deal. What rod are you gonna hang it on? Alec

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 30 Mar 2006, 12:46 • #33 
Emeritus
Just stuck it on my Cortland Leon Chandler 4/5. I think it's a good fit. Doesn't work on my Steffen 3/4. The reel feet are too thin and it won't lock.
Later
Paul

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 30 Mar 2006, 12:58 • #34 
FFR Founder
Paul - Here's a tip for thin reel feet - a small strip of cork tape on the inside of the reel foot will often make a loose fit snug. Some also suggest a strip of velcro tape. FYI - cheers, Alec

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 May 2006, 01:33 • #35 
Piscator
here's the Martin adjustible click-pawl, on the MG-3 tuna can reel - the Poor Man's Hardy

this is a Choice reel on 6' (or shorter) glass

it's actually light enough to balance my 6-1/2' Loomis GL3 3-wt.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 May 2006, 02:21 • #36 
Emeritus
Bulldog,
Where do you get all these great reels in mint condition.
You definately have the best toys.
Paul

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 May 2006, 02:46 • #37 
Piscator
I started a NIB Martin collection several years ago.
When I found a couple of fly shops that had old inventory, I went through their models and made offers.
(the 72 multiplier I have listed for sale, and a 68 multiplier - I'm hanging onto - were both display cabinet reels and their boxes had been misplaced.)
I've concentrated on the click-pawl models, starting with the 67A and its variants.
My first fly reel was an Orvis Model 1915, which is an all black 67A marked for Orvis. (I started the Martin collection when I found a new, unused Orvis Fullflex A 7-1/2' 6 wt, 2-3/8 oz. - duplicate of my first rod, which I long ago handed down to my nephew.)
I have the LL Bean variants.
I'm still looking for the Cortland Pro Crest, which is a red 67A; although, I do have a NIB spool for one.
One of my favorites is the 77W, which is a salmon-size variant.

These still pop up on eBay frequently, but be careful, there's one frequent seller of mint Martin reels that sticks a $25 shipping and handling charge on them.
I doubt if you'll ever see another NIB MG-10 (could be wrong), but an EX condition MG-3 closed just a few days ago. They're bidding up.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 May 2006, 03:08 • #38 
Master Guide
I use the Scientific Anglers System 456 and 789 reels (the older model, with the gray paint and the silver look around the palming rim.) They're all I have; just one 456 for trout weight lines, and one 789 for bass. But I have lots of extra spools! I got 'em because Harry Murray recommended them as durable in his catalogs and for his schools, and because 'way back when, I remember Chico Fernandez doing an article for that old Scientific Angler's quarterly magazine about using his 456 (the small one!) in the salt(!) Hey, durable is good.

I really liked my dad's System 6 reel (the Hardy Marquis) for its click sound and narrow spool (reel up line quickly) but I got the 456 and 789 because I could get more spools cheaper, and those spools could take more line weights than the System/Marquis's could.

Also liked SA for the counterbalance on the spool, and the rim control. Just in case, you understand. . .!

Fish on!
Peter

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 May 2006, 09:03 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Bulldog, is that MG 68 basicly a MG 72 with click pawl drag? I had a MG something years ago that looked like a 72 but was click pawl. Loaned it and it's spare spool to a buddy, I should try and get it back someday! If I remember right, it tended to overrun the line when stripping out.
Keith

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 May 2006, 15:22 • #40 
Piscator
Hi Keith,
The 68 multiplier has a horseshoe spring and caliper - a very basic over-run check, even click in both directions. Essentially the same clicker as the 65, 66, and older tuna cans, 60-63. The 68 is a good-looking reel, but I wouldn't recommend it for big fish.

There's also the MG-10, which is adjustible click-pawl, and MM-11, which is dual adjustible click-pawl.
here's the MG 10:
p097.ezboard.com/ffibergl ... =105.topic

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 25 May 2006, 05:49 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
I had a MG10, too noisy for my tastes. That is one of my fav things about the MG 72, can be silent in and out.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 31 May 2006, 00:55 • #42 
Piscator
Here's the caliper clicker on the M62 tuna can reel
I sold this reel to a buddy who just put it on an new Eagle Claw Featherlight 6-1/2', and he's giggling.

and here's the dual adjustible click pawl on the MM-11 (this one still has the factory grease)

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 13 Jun 2006, 08:52 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
I started picking up Hardy Multipliers about three years ago and love them. See them go pretty reasonable on eBay occasionally. Initially used Marquis series, but now use mostly the LRH, Princess and Zenith models. Drag is light enough on LRH that good size gill can make it scream(if you like that sort of thing).

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Jun 2006, 11:37 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
There's some great pics on here ... I like the Martin pics. Multipliers? What's that like Grass? Is it more fun than the single action reel? I've never fished one. Does weight factor into why they aren't as common as single action? That shouldn't be an issue on an older glass rod. I can underrstand why you'd try them in the Hardy if the price is right.
With used Hardys going for big money, are there any Hardy knock-offs any of you like? I have a Heddon 340, a few Youngs and tried a Diawa 730 that was so-so. Any favorites or suggestions?

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Jun 2006, 15:43 • #45 
Piscator
what the multipliers are best for are getting line onto the reel (and a fish onto the reel) in a hurry.
Great for streamer fishing, and fish that follow a streamer a long way.
For me, its white bass and seatrout. You need long casts and they will follow often right up to your feet before they take the fly. 70' of line is back on the reel in seconds.
Recommendations?
I would say the Martin MG-10 and MM-11 are the best.
If you need a disc drag, then the 72's

Here's a Young 1505 (3-1/2" narrow drum) 1.5x multiplier. Nice click-pawl.

I rebuilt a friend's Hardy Zenith multiplier recently. The mass of the multiplier gave it big inertia. I have some thought about the general mechanism, as well. The mechanism on this Young is better than Hardy, IMO. But overall, I still prefer the Martin multipliers.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 15 Jun 2006, 05:56 • #46 
Guide
Bulldog, thanks and thanks again.
I like the Martin MG10 and use it for Dolly Varden that are notorious followers here in SE Alaska. I have some corrosion on the pillars and handle arm, but function is still 100%.

One function on multipliers, with each turn of the handle taking more line, when you have a fish on the reel, you might need to do more of the pump and wind. It's kind of like trying to ride a bicycle in higher than optimum gear. The positive aspect of this is the handle moves less when a fish is taking line out fast, so less knuckle busting.

I really like the Valentine Planetary Model 400 and use it as my primary spey rod reel for Kings in a tidal estuary. It's corrossion proof and the gearing is not a radical multiplier, I think it's 1-1/3 x normal. And when fish are taking line out, the handle doesn't need to whirl around the reel face, rather it can spin on its own axis so you can keep your hand loosely on it.
A fringe benefit is when the line wraps around the handle, at least in one direction, line can still pay out as the handle spins instead of locking up.

It clicks on reeling in but is silent running out.

Vinnie in Juneau

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 15 Jun 2006, 08:49 • #47 
Piscator
Vinnie,
a bud (in fact, my longest-time friend) paid $119 new (ea.) for a pair of Valentine 375's 20+ years ago.
I was delighted to get a low-usage 375 on eBay last year for $175. Great reels. The planetary multiplier design goes back to the 1880's.

Anyway, to keep it on topic, here's an elegant click-pawl.
This is a Young-made st. george clone, c. 1935-40.
there's a runout adjustment on the end of the spindle, which all but eliminates wear of the spindle.
Yeah, this isn't glass, but a Heddon Folsom 1510.

here's a Heddon 300, a Hardy featherweight clone.
I even used a Hardy A4 spring and pawl kit in here.
this one gets fished on glass, a Fenwick 605 and a Parametric 6'3" (set up for LHW, its one of my loaner reels)

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Jun 2006, 00:53 • #48 
Piscator
This is the best pawl design ever.
This reel is a South Bend 1185 perfect, equivalent of the Shakespeare 1900 Steelhead & Trout Reel.
On most adjustable checks, when you tighten the spring tension, you feel wind get stiffer, as well as pay.
Not on these reels. You can tighten the pawl spring to where you can barely make the reel pay by hand, and the wind is always exactly the same ginger-soft. They designed this pawl so it just flat gets out of the way in wind. They're also double-ended, so you can flip them and swap them and have a new set of pawls. Great design.

and my sb 359 has a matching reel seat

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Jun 2006, 09:12 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Like Bulldog was saying, multipliers get line on the reel fast and you can start playing fish off reel quicker.

I can understand likeing the Martins best, they surely offer the best bang for the buck.

If it were not for the cost factor though I would choose the Hardy reels everytime. I just like the way they sound and look.

The Young Multipliers are on the bottom of my list because I just don't like the drag on the couple I own, but I'm sure could be something I'm doing wrong. They go pretty cheap and I think I still have couple in storage. One a Young and one they made for LL Bean that is identical. If I ever get back into my storage area I would be happy to sell the pair with one extra spool for $125.

I also like the Orvis Battenkill Multipliers from the 90's (of course they are disc drags). They pic line up quick and look pretty good.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but Bronson also made neat little multiplier. The ones I have seen have all been Bronson Red and have been right hand wind.

The thing I like about Multipliers on small rods is that even with a small diameter reel that is in proportion to a short rod you still get great rate of line pickup. I kow many folks say they can't understand multi on small rod, but for me thats where I like it most.

I've been told that fish caught with multipliers can't be put into the flyfishing record book. To me this is an added bonus, but if record book means something to you it would be something to consider.

Barry

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Jun 2006, 09:49 • #50 
Piscator
hi Barry,
we auctioned a rod and a couple of reels to support the site, and one of the reels was a Bronson multiplier.

You know me and pawl springs, I removed and adjusted the springs on the Young 1505 until I was completely happy with the drag. (don't know that I'll be looking for another, but I bought that one remarkably cheap from France.)

Speaking of France, have you ever seen this one? The Centaure multiplying perfect.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I always think of this reel whenever I see a Bronson perfect, because they already had the structure face plate - it would have been so easy for them to make a multiplying perfect with their reel. (oh yeah, this isn't in my collection, but I check ebay.fr all the time hoping to find one)

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply