It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:44

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply
Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Jan 2007, 18:16 • #101 
Glass Fanatic
The drag on Glassbender's Ryobi looks similar to the one found on a Bronson Royalist. I was wondering if there's a heavy spring/light spring configuration like on the Bronson?
I got an ad emailed from LL Bean; the Quest click-pawl isn't being offered anymore (my mistake). Shame. The interior was identical in appearance to a Hardy Lightweight. The screw down drag knob; pawl placements, etc. Now, I wish I had bought one. They were selling for under $30.
The new Quest II sounds like crap. Large arbor, disc drag; resin (won't rust like metal). Sounds like the modern incarnation of the Shakespeare Alpha. Can anyone name a reel that's crappier than the Alpha?

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 17 Jan 2007, 06:39 • #102 
Master Guide
I was fortunate enough to buy one of those Quest reels from LL bean and it is pretty sweet. The one I got doesn't have the screw down drag adjustment, it has a knob on the backside of the reel. I really liked the screwdown style drag ala medalists, but this is still a swett reel in the 3/4/5 wt range. I paid $25 and fish mone on a Forecast E-glass 6' 5/6wt and it's a great match.

Another great Click reel that I don't think has been mentioned is the Climax Epic ... great little reel that I stupidly sold off a long time ago, when I didn't know any better. That was my first "real" fly reel in the 3/4 model and it was the perfect little reel that retailed for under $45. Anyone out ther have and fish that reel?

Lou

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 18 Jan 2007, 09:00 • #103 
FFR Founder
There's an Olympic like Bullet Nose's on eBay now. No affiliation, etc. here's a link.
Cheers, Alec

Olympic Reel

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 18 Jan 2007, 16:07 • #104 
Glass Fanatic
Alec,
That Olympic's bidding high for what I'm used to. They rarely went over $20 a couple years ago. It's a shame that vintage is now "chic".
The click-pawl I used a few years back was the SA System I. Good reel. Do they still make them and are the new ones good too? -SD

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 19 Jan 2007, 03:47 • #105 
Piscator
BTW, I picked up a Pflueger 1834 from Australia.
Man, that was one wierd eBay experience. It was listed for $75 Australian. The seller said I could bid on his auction or he would send me a BIN. It never happened. When he relisted it, I bid on it. Then he started shill bidding me. Didn't realize at first so I bid up. Next time he bid up I let him have it. He cancelled his shill bid. So I retracted my bid and bid lower - still giving him the win. He finally cancelled that bid so I got it for $75 Australian.
here's the bid history
offer.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=260075325265
he still has these reels, but I wouldn't recommend him fer squat

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 19 Jan 2007, 16:17 • #106 
Guide
I've been perusing eBay for click pawls and I've been looking for a Bronson Medalist -just cause I like the look. I finally got one that looks beautiful -only one problem, the drag is broken! The spool just spins in the case, with a slight purr in the 'drag on' position. I isolated the problem: the tooth on the pawl is broken off, so the teeth on the spool barely contact it.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed? I got it for $20 shipped, so I don't know if it's worth fixing or if I should just write it off and look for another.

-Aaron

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 19 Jan 2007, 16:29 • #107 
Piscator
the latter. It's a shame, because the Bronson click-pawl is not bad at all.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 19 Jan 2007, 17:21 • #108 
Guide
Thanks, Bulldog, for your advice. I'm a little gun shy on Bronson's now -but since you are implying that they are good quality, I'm going to go for another one. On the bright side I'll have an extra spool for it!

-Aaron

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 19 Jan 2007, 17:28 • #109 
Piscator
be patient, look at the paint. There were enough of these made that you can find an EX+ reel with little to no use.
I though you said the spool teeth were broken?

Oh, I see, the pawl is broken.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 19 Jan 2007, 20:28 • #110 
Administrator
Aaron,
The Bronson is a nice reel and is very light for its size. Don't lose faith in finding a good one, but do follow Bulldog's advice - look for nice paint.

Unfortunately, the drag pawl is riveted in place and can't be easily repaired. But to be sure yours is broken and not just out of whack, I've posted a photo of a Bronson drag below. By interchanging the two drag springs, you can change from right hand to left hand wind. This one is set for left hand wind.

Tom

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 20 Jan 2007, 05:29 • #111 
Guide
Yes, unfortunately the pawl tooth tip is notched out where it encounters the spool teeth. My hypothesis is that when the seller was checking this reel out to see if it worked the drag was 'frozen' from lack of use. He tried hard to turn the spool and the point of the pawl was gouged out. I say this because it looks like a fresh wound. Alas.

In any case I got a Cortland 333 level sinking 6-weight line in good shape and an extra spool out of the deal -that's worth $20 in my eyes.

I'm bidding on a mint Bronson right now -absolutely perfect as far as I can tell. I just hope it doesn't get bid up too much -I really want it!

-Aaron

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 20 Jan 2007, 18:06 • #112 
Glass Fanatic
Those Bronsons are pretty neat but, the springs look like the staples off of a produce box. I wonder how it would be if the copper springs were replaced with spring wire? Wish you could salvage or replace the pawl ...

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 20 Jan 2007, 20:13 • #113 
Glass Fanatic
i bet bill archuletta could fix that reel but it might be more than you want spend on it.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 20 Jan 2007, 20:27 • #114 
Administrator
Scud Dog,
Those springs may be ugly, but the drag is very smooth and has a relaxing, gentle purr. This is a case where you don't mess with success.

Tom

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 20 Jan 2007, 21:21 • #115 
Glass Fanatic
i own a couple of the 360s and 370s and they are smooth and plenty reliable. i really like the quieter click and the low price. i work with boy scouts and have gotten several of both models for the kids and they haven't broken them yet as far as i know. i bet you'll be pleased with the next one you get.
-mike

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 21 Jan 2007, 16:22 • #116 
Guide
Hey guys,
Got the mint Bronson -it didn't take very long to get back on that horse, I guess. I'm very happy because it looks perfect.

It had better darn work ...

Here's the reel:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI ... otohosting

-Aaron

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 22 Jan 2007, 06:55 • #117 
Master Guide
I've handled these reels and they are very nice, similar to the old Abel Trout reels in quality. The black is nice, but if you have a chance to look at the silver version, you might like it as well.

The anodized finish on these reels is excellent. I cant tell you how nice these reels really are. Only issue is that they are imports. And I wish they made larger sizes. Im working on Rick to see if he will expand the line. He is also looking at expanding the colors this spring. I've looked at a wine colored prototype and it is about the same color as the old anodized South Bend metal reel seats.

www.templeforkflyrods.com ... /no_1.html

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 22 Jan 2007, 17:26 • #118 
Glass Fanatic
Aaron,
Thank God your seller wouldn't ship to Japan. Looks nice!
Tex,
Are you gonna get a TFO I and would you post pics of the innards?
Were any of you lucky enough to grab a Redington click-pawl designed by Ari T. Hart? Wish I grabbed one back when Sierra had them.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 Jan 2007, 15:18 • #119 
Master Guide
Can anyone tell me about this one. It is a browning model 1230 that I just picked it up off eBay and have not recieved yet.

-Russell

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 Jan 2007, 15:30 • #120 
Administrator
Dang! You're faster than normal humans, aren't you? Just over an hour and you scooped it! Actually, at that price, stole is the proper term. Typically, that reel in the box with the literature sells for ~$50.

The Silaflex 1230 is a nicely made, basic reel with a non-adjustable click. The only difference between left and right hand wind is the position of the line guard. The reel weighs 4.5 ounces. I'll post a photo of the click/pawl setup a little later. There is also a Silaflex 5230 bigger brother that weighs in at 5.1 ounces with a bit more line capacity.

Tom

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 24 Jan 2007, 15:43 • #121 
Master Guide
Sometimes you just log on at the right time.

-Russell

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 25 Jan 2007, 02:15 • #122 
Guide
Here's some shots of the Bronson. It is exactly what I had hoped for -looks like it has never even been put on a rod and is smooth as silk. It doesn't seem like an 'old reel' at all, more like something I got at the store.

Does anyone know when these were made?

Here's some photos:

front

back

insides

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 27 Jan 2007, 07:08 • #123 
Administrator
Here are photos of the Browning Silaflex reels, a model 1230 and the slightly larger 5230. I've shown a disassembled reel so you can tell if all the parts are there (don't lose the clear plastic washer!).

The reel is almost bullet proof. But ... that little medallion with the seahorse popped off (fixed with superglue). And, I didn't leave the click spring alone and it was brittle. $%!# Help!

Bulldog, where would I find 0.090" x 0.025" spring stock?

Tom

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 27 Jan 2007, 13:24 • #124 
Piscator
are you sure about that size? - that's gigantic

a Young spring is 0.070 wide.

Try www.cortlandline.com call the customer service, ask for reel repairs and tell them you want a pair of springs for a Marquis 10

I always use a spanish cedar block to spread the spring and drive it off the stanchion.

be warned that Hardy springs are also brittle. I have radiused spring pliers to bend them.

You can also try www.micromark.com for spring strips.

We can get it working, though. If all else fails, we can shape something out of some the nickel piano wire I have around.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 27 Jan 2007, 20:25 • #125 
Administrator
Earlier in the thread, Scud Dog stated "the Shakespeare Alpha. Can anyone name a reel that's crappier than the Alpha?" While I've never handled one, the Alpha sure is ugly. Perhaps prize winning ugly.

Second prize in the ugly contest should go to the reel below, the Cortland C-G-Graphite I. It's crappy too - made of graphite filled plastic and lightweight castings. Even the drag pawls are plastic! But it does have a very redeeming feature. It only weighs 2 1/8 ounces. And it holds the WHOLE DT3/4/5 line - with backing.

Of course, the immediate question is "why own such an ugly thing?"

Tom

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply