It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:27

Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Click-Pawl Reels
Post 09 Feb 2012, 00:25 • #401 
What an informative thread! I've sold off my Medalists, Cortland Rimfly, Sage 106, JW Young Multiplier, Browning Midas, Heddon 310, Ryobi 255MG, and others I can't recall at the moment. After using a Hardy, the others seemed too "coarse" to me. I've been narrowing down my reel collection to those I prefer to fish with. The only clickers I have remaining are my Browning Strata 34, STH Airweight, and a Sage 505 (Hardy). But I wouldn't mind picking up another Hardy, an Orvis CFO, or one of the Abel TR series.

Post 29 Feb 2012, 13:21 • #402 
Sport
I haven't seen this reel posted here yet, so I'll add some pictures of the Hardy Ultralite CC 1000 reel. Ultra large arbor (3.347" diameter with narrow spool), an adjustable click check using the "drag" knob on the back, made of machined aluminum, and a very reasonable price point of $169.00. Can hold 1-3wt lines with little backing (not necessary anyway).

This little reel addresses everything I want in a light line trout reel: very large arbor for quick line pick up, narrow spool to prevent line tangling, lightweight construction, and looks purty, if a bit new-fangled. This is purely my own opinion, but I really like the pewter blue anodized spool, a color that seems to be noticeably missing from the wide spectrum of hues used by today's reel manufacturers.

Post 29 Feb 2012, 13:59 • #403 
Glass Fanatic
Cool. Can you post a pick of the drag gear?

Post 29 Feb 2012, 20:41 • #404 
I am trying to find out information about my Jorgensen Model 21 Fly reel, Brand new in a box. I believe it to be at least 40 to 50 years old. Can I get some info please?

Post 29 Feb 2012, 21:43 • #405 
Sport
PeteStiles wrote:
Cool. Can you post a pick of the drag gear?

Sure thing. I'm not a big fan of the plastic clicker, but the positioning reminds me of the upright Hardy Prince check mechanism. I can't understand how the tension knob works though. The ring with the ridges around the bottom of the spindle is stationary with both tension cranked all the way up and tension backed off completely. It does seem like the ring moves a tiny bit with the tension backed off and is tighter (completely still) when the knob is cranked, but I'm not getting how this works mechanically. It does indeed work well though, with a nice range of tension.

Post 04 Mar 2012, 22:06 • #406 
Guide
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
I have never owned an Abel, only played around with some on friends rods. The thing I've noticed is tight tolerances on machine work and friends who use them swear by them for trout on light tippets.

I can't even guess which is best. I like Hardy Reels, but can't say their better then anything else. I know I enjoy fishing them more then any of my other reels, but don't know why.

I've played around with Peerless, Adams , CFO's, Battenkills, and seems like dozens of others and Hardy Multies are what I
like to use.

The Robert Frost of the South (Larry the Cable Guy) says it best to sum up Hardy Multies for me. They just get her done.

Hardys make to much noise, they don't overun for me, pick up line quick, look damn good, cost way to much, poor in Saltwater, finish wears off with use, makes right side of my brain feel good, no great logical reason---but whats nice about reel choice is the same thing I love about fly fishing, bamboo and glass--if I'm wrong it really just doesn't matter.

Barry

Try an Orvis Saltwater CFO, Hardy made saltwater resistant finish. Does have dial, just dial it down.
[ImageImageImage

Last edited by Flyguy on 22 Sep 2012, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Mar 2012, 10:11 • #407 
Guide
To add to the list:

LL Bean "Pocket Water 1." They say for a 2-5 wt line.

All machined metal, except for the handle and drag adjustment dial. Dual pawl, reversible retrive, sweet sound.

Lifetime garuntee, money back and no questions asked.

$79, new.

Last edited by gfen on 24 May 2012, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Mar 2012, 19:07 • #408 
Glass Fanatic
Bought the Hardy CC 3000 recently and like it so far. Going to fish it with a 3 wt rod, probably the Diamondglass. I agree that the clicker thing is odd, but I reckon Hardy knows wht they are doing.

Post 21 Mar 2012, 20:17 • #409 
I also just bought a Hardy CC 3000 and so far has done well with a few wild browns here in NC.

Post 21 Mar 2012, 21:09 • #410 
Master Guide
Edit: The Hardy Ultralite looks like a disc drag to me.

Last edited by Spencer DT on 22 Mar 2012, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Mar 2012, 00:00 • #411 
Guide
gfen wrote:
To add to the list:

LL Bean "Pocket Water 1." They say for a 2-5 wt line.

All machined metal, except for the handle and drag adjustment dial. Dual pawl, reversible retrive, sweet sound.

Lifetime garuntee, money back and no questions asked.

$79, new.

Thanks for a view of the guts. Been interested in this reel but haven't been able to see the inside - looks good! Sorry to say after checking on the website LL Bean was sold out.

Post 30 Apr 2012, 22:45 • #412 
Guide
Flyguy wrote:
Thanks for a view of the guts. Been interested in this reel but haven't been able to see the inside - looks good! Sorry to say after checking on the website LL Bean was sold out.

Its just a lower priced Cortland Retro 1. I'm very happy with it, and I'm always happy with my Bean equipment. I'm hoping they rebadge the Retro 2 so I can get the bigger model for cheap someday, too.

An offsite review. It contains unsuitable language and may offend you. Don't click it if you're not willing to deal with potty mouth.

Last edited by gfen on 24 May 2012, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 May 2012, 17:15 • #413 
Hello!
I need an additional spool for a Martin 67-SSA reel. So, I came accross an MG7-SSA reel and extra spool (picture only). Those two wouldn't be compatible, would they? They do look an awful lot alike. Does anybody know?
Thanks and greetings from the western Canadian sticks, Waxsmith.

Post 03 May 2012, 18:12 • #414 
Piscator
It can be tricky, since the MG7-SSA was made in two widths.

Post 27 Jun 2012, 13:09 • #415 
Glass Fanatic
I picked up a little clicker on eBay last week and it arrived today.

It arrived loaded with the plastic coated line you see heaped up in a tangle of coils; grimy, with minor paint loss, missing two pillar screws, but undinged and in excellent working order.

Built like a tank; there is not a plastic part on it from the latch cover to the spool handle, every bit is metal.

It has a reversible line guard, drag adjustment knob on the back plate, and a large gear on the spool. Nice tight, smooth clicker,with a great cranking sound. The pawl, spring, and stanchions appear to be made of brass. Measures 3 1/4" diameter and 7/8" wide spool.

A neat little reel. I checked on the board but could not find much about Langely reels. It says made in USA on the reel foot. I'm guessing it dates to the 60's era. Any info on them is appreciated.

PS: thanks to the board member who tipped me off on this one ;)

Post 27 Jun 2012, 13:43 • #416 
Piscator
Langley also made the eddy and riffle models with a line guard
you may find some info if you search reel talk.
http://orca-online.org/reel-talk/search. .. mit=Search

Post 27 Jun 2012, 15:57 • #417 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
The Langley Riffle is one of my favorites!
I have the original Langley sales brochure I'll get some photo's of it up for you.
From the brochure
Langley designed for practical angling.
Langley Fly Reels are field tested being especially suited for Trout and Salmon fishing. Their light weight allows perfect casting with freewheeling spool action that is adjustable for drag control.
These reels are made with precision accuracy of aluminum alloy ,stainless steel and bronze bearings.There are no sharp edges to injure fine ,soft line. From $4.25 to $8.50
The Models available are Riffle,Current,Eddy.
LANGLEY CORPORATION Makers of Field Tested Fishing Reels 660 Second Ave,San Diego,California.
Here's a photo of mine hanging on my 7'6" Reed Retro It balances my 6 wt Phillipson rods perfectly as well as you already know.
Pat I'm glad you were able to grab that one that I gave you the heads up on for a decent price.
The screws should be no problem for your local hardware store to match up for you.
I know that your little newly adopted Phillipson twin is going to just love that reel! now you just need to get the Cortland Classic DT 444 Peach line it likes best and you should be all set.
Tight Lines and Langley Loops
Andy M

Post 31 Jul 2012, 16:45 • #418 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Sorry it took me so long but I've been away on a fishing trip.
Here's the langley paperwork.
Tight lines and field tested loops
Andy M
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
And another addition to my langley family a recent flea market find below

Post 01 Aug 2012, 19:10 • #419 
Glass Fanatic
Andy, Thanks for posting the Langley brochure, very cool. I found the screws I needed for my Riffle -- at the third hardware store.

Somewhere I have an old Langley De-Liar too. I'll have to see if I can find it and post a picture. Your Langely looks super on the Reed Retro rod.

Post 01 Aug 2012, 19:45 • #420 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Had a eddy too but I lent it out and can't remember whom I lent it to?
I think it was my son's friend sam I'll have to ask him next time I see him.
It would be a good candidate for an agate line guard upgrade.
They truly are well made reels, the riffle I just picked up the crank handle is seized, needs a little pb blaster
, a good polish and a lube job.
Tight lines and american classic loops
Andy M

Post 01 Aug 2012, 21:29 • #421 
Master Guide
A pair of Langley 192-B reels mated with a couple of 8wt glass boat rods. I like how easy it is to tune the spring on these with virtually no tools! ;)

Post 03 Aug 2012, 13:51 • #422 
I'm new to the forum but had to share my recent acquisition. Most of the information about these reels that I can find is located in the minds of the people on this board. I picked up these three reels for a price that felt like theft. They are JW Young Jubilees. Two 5200 and one 5100. One 5200 and the 5100 are in excellent condition. The other 5200 is missing the cap on the faceplate that covers the spindle and has a few tiny dings on the frame. Neither seems to effect performance but I'd like to figure something out to replace the cap just to keep the dirt out. Other than that, I am pretty excited.

Post 13 Sep 2012, 00:26 • #423 
Ive grown attached to the zebco hardy knock offs. The old z78. Say what you will. Click/pawls unfortunately have been pushed aside these days, to make way for the "large arbors" and conical disc drag fruit cakery. To me, they resemble the wheel of some tasseled homo-erotic beach cruiser bike. " A large arbor disc drag reel is a must for this species" ... you hear on these fishin' shows. Yes we are a specific happy family of fisherman, but for heavens sake.. What happened to the good ol' days? Sailfish and tarpon on standard arbor system 2s and fenwick world class? Forgive me for rambling. This group is AWESOME!

Post 13 Sep 2012, 08:26 • #424 
Piscator
Matt, do I know you and your dad?
Where are you from?
welcome to the board,
Ron Mc

Post 13 Sep 2012, 12:39 • #425 
First time poster - like I needed another forum and another fly rod material to covet ... ;)

Here's my favorite click reel, the Redington CT (I have a 2/3 and a 5/6, wish I had a few more of each) ...

Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply